Divinity II: DKS - Review @ GamesMediaPro

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
GameMediaPro reviewed Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga and found it worthy of a 10.
The game is played through at a quite leisurely pace that will lull a lot of gamers into a false sense of security as they strap on their backpack and sword and traipse off across the open plains in search of adventure and maidens to rescue, but make sure that you save often during your time in Rivellon as the quests main storyline picks up the pace at an alarming rate after acquainting you with the laws of nature in this gargantuan environment. Treat the meandering opening as more of an introductory tutorial for those gamers who are new to the way of things in Divinity. But be warned all you Draconis virgins out there, ( and if you are new to this stunning series then we do readily advise you to back catalogue this awesome franchise and start at the beginning and work your way through what has to be one of the greatest stories ever told in the RPG genre ), Dragon Knight Saga is role-playing at its finest, it is not an expedition to ‘cutesy-landwhere you are led by giggling minstrels,glowing trails or ruddy-faced devotee’s who fawn over your very existence. This is you and a sword and your wit’s, and that’s it! You want to know where your next objective is? Work it out for yourself. You want to know how to kill the next giant adversary? Then its your job to collate the evidence and piece together your strategy for attack or you will suffer the same fate as the twenty-seven other broken and limbless torso’s that are lying at your foes feet. In essence, it is how role-playing should be…it is the experience of it. The sense of being there and having to overcome and adapt to all manner of trials and tribulations that stand in the way of your ultimate goal and roaring success throughout your realm. If you want to be led by the hand and deliver books and letters to ungrateful peasants all day long then there’s always Fable III for you. If you want to sit in a glitch and stare at every shade of brown known to man then Fallout New Vegas is your baby. If you want some sizzling RPG action that will keep you engrossed for the coming few months then do yourself a favour and go for the educated role players choice: The Dragon Knight Saga. You won’t be disappointed.
More information.

That's a nice review, it makes feel that it's a real fan that is writing. But if it's in part a fan a a little blind that review the game, it also highlight well the good points.

In particular I totally agree it's a pleasant and refreshing come back to old school RPG gameplay renewed with some more modern values.

For sure if on start they hadn't let some big flaws skip in Ego Draconis this huge misunderstanding would not have happen.

There's also some points I have seen many players complain about when I feel them quite fun. For example the fights are quite good, quite better than the Elder Scroll series, and better than The Witcher for example. Only Gothic 1&2 do better in a similar category but only for sword fighting, DKS is quite better in bow fighting and magic in fights. Also the sword fighting in DKS is quite more deep than it could seem first.

It's also like the dragon parts, I have seen many time some comments that the game would have been much better without the dragon parts but I totally disagree. The fights with dragon are very fun and I suspect often players tried play it as a sort of plane with the better and more fun approach is fps with flying, dodge, aim and block is a corner instead of trying a sort of dog fighting.

Also the dragon part is huge for the exploration, it brings originality and many quite good element of exploration through well mastered mixing of exploration in dragon form and exploration in human form.

Back
Top Bottom