HoMM 5 - Tribes of the East Review @ Games Radar

magerette

Hedgewitch
GamesRadar has posted a review of Nival's stand alone expansion to the fantasy TB strategy title Heroes of Might and Magic 5, Tribes of the East, rating it 7/10:
Other nifty new features include the alternative upgrade patch for units, the ability to retain your heroes, selling artifacts in the marketplace, collecting special artifact sets (hey didn’t Diablo do this a few years ago?) and sacrificing troops for experience. This last bit is nice if you’re trying to quickly race up the level tree, but most players will likely find that keeping peasants around as cannon fodder is more useful than a small experience boost.
Ultimately, Tribes of the East is a solid follow-up to an already engaging franchise. Players with a lot of time invested in Heroes of Might and Magic V are going to appreciate the engine tweaks and thoroughly enjoy giving it a go with the Orcs. Those new to the series however would probably be better served by looking for a copy of the original game and playing through that before moving on.
More information.

It's a turn based strategy game with a few rpg elements, but we've been covering it for those (like me) who have played all the HoMMs and the Might & Magics. We covered Dark Messiah as well, though arguably that one's got more claim to the rpg label. :)

Is it true that thid Add-On also runs as a stand-alone, without the main game ?

Yes, it can be installed and played without having HoMM5 at all. It takes up the story from the end of the main game's last expansion(Hammers of Fate) I believe.

Last edited:
It's a turn based strategy game with a few rpg elements, but we've been covering it for those (like me) who have played all the HoMMs and the Might & Magics. We covered Dark Messiah as well, though arguably that one's got more claim to the rpg label. :)
I know it's TB. I own the game, 3, 4 and 5... :p Thanks for the reply anyway ;)

I know it's TB. I own the game, 3, 4 and 5... :p Thanks for the reply anyway ;)

Didn't mean to state the obvious, but that *is* my title. :) Is it your experience also that the game (HoMM5) has been disappointing in some ways? I stopped playing after Hammers of Fate as I thought it had become too much of a cakewalk, but the word is this expansion ups the difficulty back to where it should be. I could do without the system hog graphics, but if TotE can restore the challenge, it keeps the series alive IMO.

Didn't mean to state the obvious, but that *is* my title. :) Is it your experience also that the game (HoMM5) has been disappointing in some ways? I stopped playing after Hammers of Fate as I thought it had become too much of a cakewalk, but the word is this expansion ups the difficulty back to where it should be. I could do without the system hog graphics, but if TotE can restore the challenge, it keeps the series alive IMO.
I think HoMM5 is a fine game, better than HoMM4 in almost all points. Although I have a personal preference for HoMM3... So if you're asking if I am disappointed with HoMM5, then the answer is no, but it sure could be better. I haven't played the expansions yet... Money's short :(

Back
Top Bottom