Age of Decadence - Impressions, questions, advice, etc.

No worries, I just wanted to understand.

It seems our views on atmosphere are different :D

For example, I found Eschalon horrible to look at and just couldn't get past a few hours into it unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Eschalon is a "pretty" game - but the visuals and the world worked for what it was. To me, that is.

To me, it was an example of a developer who realised its own limitations and went with it.

AoD looks like a game that was heavily compromised in the visual department - and I don't think 3D is the way to go if you're not competent at it.

That said, I haven't played it since that last combat demo. Maybe it's much better now?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Eschalon is a "pretty" game - but the visuals and the world worked for what it was. To me, that is.

To me, it was an example of a developer who realised its own limitations and went with it.

AoD looks like a game that was heavily compromised in the visual department - and I don't think 3D is the way to go if you're not competent at it.

That said, I haven't played it since that last combat demo. Maybe it's much better now?

I don't know I never played the combat demo. So prefer not to say.

You can get the demo of the first town for free and have a look if you want.

Another update. LOTS OF SPOILERS THIS TIME (Not tagged as spoilers)

I had originally decided to just go to the Library with slightly higher lore skill to go to Inferiae, but my curiosity got the better of me and I increased my crafting skill as well to get the machine running.

Unfortunately, I also now know that my perception is too low to get anything really useful here.

So now I have found two areas with my perception being just one point too low :(

Oh well. That means I just had to go back to the original plan of going to Inferiae.

So, I reloaded the previous save and continued to Inferiae.

I killed the demon and went through the portal. Which was quite special as I found a power tube, which I had seen in the sewers before. Unfortunately, that one was broken, so I assumed it didn't do anything.

Lo and behold, I can use this one to replace the broken one.
This got me into another hidden area. Unfortunately, again, I'm missing either lore to understand the machine or lockpick to use it :D

I will be going to Zamedi and try getting some more skill points there. I only need 17 more to get that machine working :D

However, now I'm missing some intelligence to get some console to work as well.
It seems my hybrid fighter cannot do everything in this game.

So, I went to Zamedi, where there was another demon. This one asked me to do something for him, but he tried tempting by giving me treasures. However, thanks do being quite streetwise myself, I noticed he tricked me.

While trying to "help" him so he wouldn't just kill me, I found out that giving him what he wants would allow him to escape. If he hadn't tricked me I might have let him, but no one stops me form getting my riches...

So I killed him. This demon was harder to kill. And I had to figure out the best way to do it. I have two sets of armour in my inventory, very heavy and super heavy. I usually use the super heavy one as it ensures I don't die when fighting multiple people. However, in this case, the armour only slowed me down. So I took up my very heavy armour instead, allowing me to hit him twice each turn, but for slightly less damage. Good thing I also have two sets of hammers, a light one and a heavy one.
:)

Luckily that gave me just enough skill points to work the machine and I now have an additional Perception point. This will allow me to go through the Abyss and go back to the Library I believe. Unfortunately, the library requires crafting too, which I have nothing of.

I feel like I will want to build a smooth-talking thief or con-man next to be able to get through some of these encounters :D It will be a shame not being able to kill everyone that crosses me though.

Well, I tried the demo a little.

They've polished it up a bit - but it's really still the same game in terms of feel and visual style.

I can see the appeal, though. It seems a fantastic game for replayability and choice. Lots of ways to handle situations.

Unfortunately for me, I can't quite get into that world and that look. But I'm not the easiest person in that way :)

That sounds interesting. Are there any details available on that yet?

Here's a bit of detail.

The kickstarter would allow you to fund development at least for the small team of yours I believe.
We'll consider it.

Of course, you would need something (fleshed out idea and concept art at the very least) to show the world and I understand kickstarters can take a long time to prepare.
IF we take the colony ship RPG to KS, we'll show quite a lot. I've been working on the setting and character system in my spare time for a while. When Nick and Oscar start putting together the dungeon crawler, which won't require much of my time, Mazin (the concept artist) and I will start working on the colony ship RPG (quests and areas design).

Would you use a different engine for the colony ship RPG ?
Most likely we'll use Unreal 4.

And another day.

I won't be playing for the weekend as I'll be travelling to the beach.

Today the game was a lot of fun. Thanks to the extra point in perception I went through the Abyss.

I tried both options in there and went with the less drastic one, foregoing a special ability which would likely serve me well in the next chapter. I did get some more skill points too.

This allowed me to visit the Library and figure out what the secrets mean. It's quite a lot of backstory I now know, which I had no clue about. The writing is quite good and I like the background and lore they have put in it.

I could finally also put to use an artefact I had found in the opening vignette. That felt good :)

I then went to the Monastery and saved the poor villagers from impending doom at the hands of a raider party. Due to my now superior armour and weapon skills, I easily beat the group of raiders. This felt like a real accomplishment. I also got the achievement for being deadlier than malaria, which was a bit odd for me, as I usually play a talky character who likes to help whenever possible.

I didn't get the elixir unfortunately, so I hope this doesn't come back to haunt me.
Two big decisions erring on the side being good. This is usually the "wrong" choice in this game, but we'll see.

Finally, I went to the Arch and spoke to something in the void. I believe this was a good choice, but I had to use 3 power tubes to get it. I only have 2 now and I hope that's not going to be a problem in the future.

So lots of choices that may affect the last chapter of the game have happened in the last few hours. I am now finished with all the quests and areas I could find.

I hope I didn't miss anything too substantial, but I think I did quite well in terms of lore for a fighter.

My next stop is Ganezzar.
:)

Thanks for continuing the updates btw.

I will likely continue tonight. It's just been a very busy time in the past few days.

Went to Goa during the weekend and then work the past few days was quite hectic.
Hopefully I don't finish work too late and I can play in Ganezzar for an hour or two :)

So a new update with several spoilers.

I entered Ganezzar to find it in disarray. Zealots were putting people on the cross and exploiting the situation for their own gain by extorting merchants for example.

Iron Tower build the town really well and the atmosphere is captured by crosses in the streets and destroyed buildings amongst a massive castle which can be described as a giant fortress on top of a hill.

Walking through the streets I found a man I was supposed to talk to about some special armour - an artefact from the past. He said some people had it and I had to fight them. Even now, in one of the last chapters of the game, some of the fights still require tactics. I had to use both nets and poison this time as well as some well-placed aimed attacks to win this fight. This was quite fun.

I got the special armour, which I powered with some tubes, but I only have two instead of three. This seems to give the armour enough power to function, but not at its optimal capacity.
Unfortunately, I do not understand something. When putting on the armour, I cannot equip any weapons, making the armour slightly useless. The reason for this seems to be it auto-equips a gauntlet and then I cannot use my hammer.

Anyone know how to fix this ?

Other than that the log also says I should go and see the guy still and he does not offer any help on this.

Anyway, I assumed this would find a resolution later on so I decided to speak to the Legionaire in front of the Imperial Guards building. However, it seemed the lord of the town, who calls himself Brother Meru, has taken over the building. This meant I couldn't get in. However, the legionaire recognised me as the Champion of Maadoran and thus introduced me to the Centurion. He wanted me to fight in his makeshift arena, but my character saw a shimmering blue sword at his hips and wanted it. Of course, he has no use for swords as they are puny in comparison to the mighty hammers.

Anyway, my character viciously killed every opponent thrown at him, including the Centurion. I ended up just selling the sword :blush:

I moved up to the castle and spoke to Meru who wanted me to help protect his expedition to an ancient ruin. I told him to wait and explored the town some more.
I found another person that I was referred to and he told me about several other ancient location I could visit:
- Hellgate
- Dead River
- Old Factory

So I'll be going to the Old Factory next. I feel I may get something with regards to my armour there.

I'd be grateful if someone can help me sort out this armour issue.

So I ended up visiting all three locations:

Old Facility:

Some Aurelian guards were there trying to stop me from going in. At first I tried persuading them that I was one of them, but that didn't work, so I had to kill them when they attacked me.
Inside the Facility I found a massive door blocking my way with, unfortunately, no way of getting through.

I did find another power tube for my armour. So now it's fully powered. There is something about a fourth mode I cannot yet unlock due to a lack of lore knowledge.

I then went to Hellgate:
At Hellgate I found some big metallic spider guard, which I killed much more easily than I had expected when seeing it. Someone was hiding there for over a month and offered me a protective amulet in return for giving him some Divine Spear.

I told him I would give it to him, but I'm not sure I will actually.

Going through Hellgate, I found some force fields, apparently them remove max health, so I decided to go back in time and not go through them :D

Unfortunately, many areas are blocked by these force fields. There is a console I suspect can disable all of them. Unfortunately, I am too stupid to figure out how they work. Otherwise, there are also a few generators that can be disabled. However, I need to pass through force fields to disable them.

For now, I will explore something else.

I am wondering if maybe there's a way of improving my intelligence in the same way I improved my perception.

Dead River:

Arriving at Dead River, it's easy to know why it got its name. It's basically a massive hole in the ground with old ships in there. There's a broken bridge to somewhere from there.

I spoke to some novices who told me the Elders maintain some machines downstairs. I went there and realised that "maintained" means pray to the machines.

Luckily I have invested a lot in Lore and crafting and managed to get the machine working. However it seems I need some coil for the final piece of the puzzle.

I am now slightly stuck. I don't have enough skill points to open the door in the Old Facility. I want more intelligence to kill the generators in the Hellgate facility and I need a coil which I cannot find.

I will explore Hellgate on a side-save to see if the coil is there or if I can earn enough skill points to get more crafting...

If not, I might have to allow myself to lose some max HP... :(

A long one this time. :D

So apparently Hellgate and Dead River lead to the final location... So instead I went back to town.

Meru was waiting for me and his request to lead an expedition to Al-Akia, a ruin, long hidden in the desert. I took his men and went to the excavation site. The main guy apparently was too scared to go down there so I had to volunteer. I did offer up one of my guards, but they insisted I went.

So going down into the ruins, I saw a big facility, looking a lot like a Vault from the original Fallout to be honest. Exploring the vault I found several important things. There were more healing machines in there, like the one that improved my perception, but unfortunately, I could not use any of them... I also found a large ritual chamber, which looked like it could probably still work.

That was it, I explored and was supposed to report back. Going back outside, I noticed several Aurelian guards had killed all of the expedition's team members. So I decided to attack !
I killed all of them thanks to my nice armour and my almost full combat build.
I went back to town to report back to Meru, but instead saw the town in siege.

I thought it would be better lie low for now and I saw an opportunity when some men were entering a tunnel. I followed them in and saw them smuggling something into town. Part of the Thieves' Guild, I imagined. The moment they saw me, they attacked. They were no match for a Legatus of the Imperial Guard however and quickly succumbed to my superior tactics and strength.

Their leader saw me and offered a deal. If I kill some guards of Meru, he would show me a way back to town. So, I was quite happy to assist, as I don't particularly like Meru (with this character, I might make a pro-Meru character at some point). He then helped me get back to the city.

Meru didn't seem to care too much about Al-Akia as his city was under siege and asked me to parley for him with the Imperial Guard, offering them the title of Templars and protectors of the faith.

As a mercenary, that felt like a good way to work with my fellow Imperials and so I tried convincing Paullus, the Dux, or boss of the Imperial Guards to help Meru. Unfortunately, Paullus wasn’t interested. So instead, I went back to my dear ‘friend’ in Teron and convinced him to help Meru.

I am not so sure if that was the best thing though. So I might go back, as I had to spend a lot of points in persuasion for this to work, while I still need crafting and lore to access the hold in the Old Facility.

Continuing on that path however lead me back to Ganezzar with an easy victory over the Aurelians. Meru was pleased and so was Carrinas who now became more powerful than ever oculd have imagined. Unfortunately for Paullus, this created a rift in the Imperial Legion.

I then headed to Hellgate and had to lose some max HP to get through. I ended up finding the lost Temple of Thor-Argoth or Agatoth. When speaking to Agatoth, I found out he wanted to be a God again and for men to serve him. He said if need be he would kill a few thousand here and there. Even as a mercenary, I was not happy with this. I decided to attack him and before the latest patch, I killed him in two tries. But Oscar, the developer suggested I tried again after I said that killing a God was too easy. I did and he kicks my butt.
I am basically at the end-game though. So I have a few save games I will want to try out.
As it stands, my end was to let the temple lie in peace and not tell Meru about its existence, I believe that’s also the most spoiler-free ending. I will try out a few other things when I come back next week. But for now, you can consider this playthrough to be over.
I might post a few things, but it might be me starting over from scratch. I think I will try and do something like this in a more RP fashion, where I keep to my ideals more and try not to play around with too many combinations. I was very curious this playthrough, which made me try lots of things, but next time, I will try and go with the flow as much as I can.

Back
Top Bottom