Ubisoft - Trailer Announces Might and Magic X

To a degree 'old school' is a bit over done this year. I worry it might become over saturated. Having said this I wouldn't mind an updated wizardry 8.

I think if we look at old school, as in old school values not presentation then we are fine...all the old school games coming look modern but have a lot of internals of what we want to be brought back, the harder stuff to do. It's not flash and bang we want, we want substance.

As for this game, I think it looks great so far and I love the M&M series I however have never heard of the developer so we shall see.

Quite excited, never thought this would happen.

Though I am concerned about the step-based/grid-based movement. I sure hope it is togglable. I liked MM6-8 best. Also why not 5-6 party members? Perhaps that's still a posibbility.

Screen shots looks great! Detailed yet with that old-school M&M look. Art-direction looks to be a win.

Obviously they were influenced by the success of Grimrock.

Since PAX East is going on, I sorta expected some new tidbits today, but nothing so far. Perhaps by this evening...

That trailer almost made me jizz my pants.

I agree with those who voiced concern about "new rules". What I remember from the Might & Magic series is that it was so damn addictive, which was precisely thanks to the rule system. There was always some character to level up and always some skills you couldn't wait to get. The "just another level" and "just some more gold plz?" kicked in early and kept with you through the night.

I agree with those who voiced concern about "new rules". What I remember from the Might & Magic series is that it was so damn addictive, which was precisely thanks to the rule system. There was always some character to level up and always some skills you couldn't wait to get. The "just another level" and "just some more gold plz?" kicked in early and kept with you through the night.

^ This

Exactly.

That trailer almost made me jizz my pants.

Yeah, and I always had plans going. "If I can just get another level, I can increase skill X to Y so I can find the trainer and get expert at it. Then I can go do this class quest for a promotion and start working towards master, which means I get dual wield and then.. "

Hours become days and days became weeks.

Come on guys! - you've got to allow some new ideas to creep into your aged bones.

Today "new ideas" means making the game based on a specific model that means 3rd person, cover-system, mini-map, waypoint directed tasks and an occasional turret with unlimited ammo that may overheat if fired too long. This means that games that aren't promoted as "new", "innovative" and "evolving" tend to be unique and salient compared to other games.

Today "new ideas" means making the game based on a specific model that means 3rd person, cover-system, mini-map, waypoint directed tasks and an occasional turret with unlimited ammo that may overheat if fired too long. This means that games that aren't promoted as "new", "innovative" and "evolving" tend to be unique and salient compared to other games.

Not a bad summary :). But there's no evidence of those things from the coverage so far and there are so many ways that the old genres, particularly first person party games could be improved on, I think. I would be thoroughly disappointed if they made no progress since worlds of Xeen.

Though I am concerned about the step-based/grid-based movement. I sure hope it is togglable. I liked MM6-8 best. Also why not 5-6 party members? Perhaps that's still a posibbility.

M&M VI & VII only had 4 party members as well, and many consider them to be the best of the series. I wouldn't mind seeing more party members though.

I share your concern about the grid-based movement. I'd much prefer a free-roam system like M&M 6-9.

After watching for the second time the trailer, I notiched that upon reaching lvl, the characters automaticaly heal. I don't remember if similar happened the last time I played a mm game. And I really hope they don't dismiss trainers? I mean how pointless would it be to colect gold.

After watching for the second time the trailer, I notiched that upon reaching lvl, the characters automaticaly heal. I don't remember if similar happened the last time I played a mm game. And I really hope they don't dismiss trainers? I mean how pointless would it be to colect gold.
no it didn't happen at 6-8 at least.and unless you visited a building(can't remember the name now) to train practically you hadn;t leveled up

I just finished MM 7 & 8. (feb 2013)

You didn't automatically heal when you reached a level. However, the only way to raise a level was to go to a trainer. By going to a trainer you did heal. But that was because every time you paid a trainer, one week of game time had elapsed. Thus technically you were healed by resting.

For those wanting to cap their enthusiasm, just remember that we've heard a very similar pitch before—that game was called MM9.

I worry that the game will crumble under the expectations. Think of how long MM6 and MM7 were. For that matter, by today's standards MM8 would be considered a long game. Assuming that Ubi and Limbic don't screw up the gameplay formula too badly (not a sure bet by any means), what are the odds that they also give us a coherent 60-80 hours of content?

High hopes and all, but there's just so many ways for them to screw this up.

Intellectually, I know you're right. KNOW. But still the heart must hope.

I am a bit stunned by the level of exitement caused by a mere 10 seconds of gameplay featured here. But maybe that's because I never played M&M.

lol this reminds me of how old rockstars who tries to make a comeback..
very few succeed in just not sounding geriatric.

but in truth its actually a very good way to squeeze more money out of old fans.

to all you doubters. Might and Magic 7 and 8 are available for the cheap at GOG. The games still work and are fun to play. Give them a try and then you'll understand why we fans are so exicited.

Back
Top Bottom