Released kickstarter games

Nameless one

Wizzard
I think we need thread to keep track of released kickstarter and indiegogo games with few short words and thoughts about.

RPG
Akaneiro: Demon Hunters- Game from American McGee creator of Alice, it's Japanese themed action RPG.They asked for 200k and got only 4k more.Review are bad, Gamespot give it 5/10 and RPS says"it's awful".

Banner saga-One of most anticipated kickstarters.It got 720k on kickstarter.So far reviews are very positive most are above 85.

Consortium-Very ambitious game with heavy focus on dialogs, roleplaying and C&C.It got 70k on kickstarter and only made after second attempt.No reviews yet.

Data Hacker Initiation- jRPG with small campaign, they asked for 300 punds got 3k.On kickstarter it says this will be series of 3 games with save import and
C&C that have major impact on rest of games in series.No reviews.

Dead state-Game from Brian Mitsoda lead designer of VtM:Bloodlines.It's zombie survival party based RPG that raised $332k on kickstarter.Reviews say game has great writing and atmosphere but it's repetitive and unpolished, scores are around 7/10.

Divinity:Original sin-Game from Larian developer that has strong fanbase here on Watch(myself included) and best Larian game so far .It's mostly self funded but it also raised $1M on kickstarter for additional features.Game is highly praised by critics and gamers scores are around 9/10 and it's also selling really well.

Dungeon of elements-RPG with combat inspired by Doctor Mario and Tetris. It got 21k $ on ks.I didn't find many reviews but they are positive.

FTL- huge kickstarter success and even more on release,good reviews.Very good game imo.

Expeditions:conquistador- Good reviews, I don't know how it did on market but I am very curious about it.Despite it's flaws I really liked this game.

Iceblink engine-Engine and tool-set for goldbox style games.It got 3k and sucesseded after second kickstarter.

Jagged alliance:Flashback -Remake of famous.It raised $368K on kickstarter.Unfortunately game is total flop and reviews reflect that.

Last dream - jRPG made in RPG maker with small KS campaign, they asked for 1.5k got 12k.

Legends of Aethereus-co-op Action RPG.Asked for 25k got 35k.no reviews.

Legends of Dawn-Indie aRPG.They asked for 25k they got 46K.Impressions and user reviews are bad, very low scores so far.

Lords of Xulima- turn based RPG with world movement similar to king's bounty and combat similar to Wizardry.Gmae had both kickstarter and indiegogo campaign.Review and user impressions are positive.My own impression is that despite it's flaws game is really good.

Paper sorcerer-Wizardry style RPG with hand drawn graphics.It got 12k on kickstarter.Game is only available on official site.Not many reviews but they are positive.I finished game and I think it's must buy for that price.

Pier solar HD HD version of 16 bit inspired jRPG.It raised $231K on kickstarter.Revies are positive.

Quest for infamy Adventure/RPG hybrid inspired by quest for glory series.It raised $63k on kickstarter.No reviews yet.

Shadowrun returns- here is one of major kickstarter releases.Good reviews already with score around 8/10, good sales even before it's released.Very successful game overall.

Steal and steam episode 1- JRPG taking place in large scale world.It raised $8.5k on ks.I found only 2 reviews so far and they are positive.

sunless sea-Unique naval RPG with focus o narrative.It raised £100K on kickstarter.Reviews are veri positive and they praise game's writing.

Sword and stars the pit-this was on indiegogo.It got good reviews.I didn't like it but there are people on watch that did.

Unemployment quest- this was actually released before other games on list.It's jRPG.Author asked for 1k he got 10k.I found no reviews but there is free demo if anyone wants to try it.

Unrest-Unrest is a story driven RPG set in ancient India in the midst of an uprising.It raised $36k on kickstarter.Most of critic scores are 6/10 and 7/10 most say game has good core but lacks layers.

Valdis story sidescroling RPG with focus on exploration and challenging combat.Got 49k of kickstarter.Not many reviewer on RPGFan see to be impressed by game and gave it 93/100.

Wasteland 2- One of gaming kickstarter flagships.it raised $3 millions on kickstarter.Critic reviews are good most are between 8 and 9 but player socres are somewhat lower, curent user metascore is 7.3.

Word realms Looks like mix between jRPG and Scrable.asked for 100k got 120k. I found no reviews or impressions which is a bit weird since it got relatively big funds.
MMO
Banner saga:Factions-Multiplayer part of one of more anticipated games.Reviews are not good they range around 5/10-7/10 hopefully single player will be better.Their F2P method is questinable and it keep me away from the game.

Chivalry medieval warfare- Multiplayer game,good reviews,very good sales(sold 1.2 million copies within little more than half of year after it's released) .I didn't play it so I can't comment on game itself.

Forced co-op aRPG , with some unique ideas.It got 65k on kickstarter. reviews are positive.

Guncraft- Voxel based builder/shooter.They asked for 16k on KS and barely made it.Review are good around 8/10.

WorldAlpha-Browser based social strategy MMO.Small flexible funding indegogo campaign, they asked for 12k got only 1.7k.Reviews are somewhat positive but they do warn that real cash can imbalance game.
Strategy
Battle worlds:kronos Turn based strategy inspired by games like advance wars and panzer generals.They asked for 120k to finish game they got 260k.Reviews are positive around 7-8/10 mostly.

Defense grid expansion -I didn't back this because I think they could found publisher easily but I did buy it and I think new levels are good but not great.

Dysis-Voxel based RTS.Asked for 5k got 27k.Also no reviews.

Fantasy Kommander:Eukarion wars-Game got only small part of funds from indiegogo but I am putting it on list anyway.It's strategy game inspired by SSI games.Got only 1.1k on flexible funding.No reviews yet.

Ghost control inc.-It's combination of management simulation and turn based strategy.It got 12k Pounds on ks.No reviews.

Planetary annihilation-One of biggest kickstarters it raised $2.2m. RTS form same people that made total annihilation and supreme commander and heavily inspired by those games.No reviews yet.

Stardrive- 4X space strategy.Asked for 7.5k got 17k.Reviews are not good they are around 6/10 although PC gamer gave it 7.8.

Timber and stone- voxel based city builder with focus on combat and siege. Relatively successful kickstarter.I didn't see any reviews or impressions on major sites so I can't comment on quality.

Warmachine tactics-Adaptation of tabletop game.Game raised $800k on kickstarter.No reviews yet.

Xenonauts- Strategy game heavily inspired by original X-com.It raised $150k on ks.No reviews yet but user scores are really high it's current user metascore is 8.9/10.
Platformer
Cloudbery kingdom infinite procedurally generated platformer that got 23k on kickstarter.It has mixed reviews metacritic score is 67.

Darkout-Survival platformer.It got 5k on indiegogo.

Freedom Planet-Game inspired by classics like sonic and megaman.It raised $25k.No reviews yet but there is free demo for anyone who wants to try it.

Full bore- Exploration puzzle game with boar as main protagnist.Got 16k on kickstarter.Not many reviews but they are positive.

Giana sisters twisted dreams-Good reviews but not much success after release.T think this is great platformer with beautiful graphic and I am surprised it didn't have much success.

Mercenary kings-Game inspired by metal slug and similar games.It got 116K on KS.Both reviews and user scores are good.

No time to explain Strange looking platformer.Asked for 7k got 26k.Reviews say it bad.

Odd Planet episode 1-Platformer inspired by Limbo and Abe's oddysee. .Very unsuccessful game raising $622 but indiegogo has flexible funding system.No reviews for PC version,smart-phone reviews seem to be good.There is free trial version if anyone wants to try it.

Risk of rain-Action roguelike platformer.It got 30k from kickstarter.Reviews and user impressions are positive and game attracted lot of attention form mainstream sites.

Shovel knight- Platformer strongly influenced by games from 8-bit era released on multiple platforms.It raised $311k on KS.It is Highly praised by both reviewers and players.

Spud's quest-Retro puzzle platformer.Asked for 5k pounds got 6k, no reviews yet, but user scores are positive.

Tiny barbarian DX episode 1- episodic retro platformer with that got 15k of Kickstarter.Reviews are positive.

Volgarr the viking-Hardcore 16-bit style action platformer.Got 40k on kickstarter.Not many reviews but they are positives, user scores and reviews are also positive.

Windforge-Mix between Terraria and Contra.It got 50k AUD.Reviews say it is unpolished on release so I would advise to wait for month or 2.
Adventure
Actual sunlight- Adventure about man struggling with heavy depression, great reviews.I bought game but I haven't played it yet.

Among the sleep-Among the Sleep is a first person horror adventure, in which you play a two year old child.It raised $248k on ks.Most reviews are around 7/10 and say games is unremarkable.

Back to bed-Back to bed is a 3D puzzle game taking place in surreal environments, containing optical illusions as well as helpful and dangerous objects.It raised $13K on kickstarter.metascore is 6.3/6.8 and most say it's mildly entertaining.

Broken age act 1-game that started it all.With $3.3m it's one of most funded crowdfunding games.Reviews are very positive but they do complain that game is short(only around 4 hours).Look like game has not disappointed at least not critics.

BlindSide-Survival horror game for PC/MAC/Android/iOS without graphic it relies on sound only.Game got founded in 2011 and got 14k.Game can be played by blind people.

Broken sword 5- One of big releases.It got 771k on kickstarter.Game is split in to 2 episodes.Reviews are positive and they mostly say game is made for fans of series and doesn't try to appeal to new audience.

Cognition an Erica Reed thriller-One more game from pre-Schafer era.First episode was funded by kickstarter and last 4th came out recently. it got 34k of kickstarter which was decent amount at that time.Reviews are positive.

Dreamfall chapters book I-One of my most anticipated games.New game in on of the best adventure series ever.it raised $1.5M on kickstarter.No reviews yet but user scores are overwhelmingly positive.

Gods will be watching-P&C adventure game about survival and moral dilemmas.It raised €20k on Indiegogo.So far it's been getting mixed reviews and user metacritic score is only 5.9.

Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded - New game in point and click adventure series that had it's best days during golden era of adventures.Relatively big kickstarter, they asked for 500k got around 600k.Reviews are not good so far.

Lifeless planet adventure game inspired by Ico and another world.It raised $17k on ks.No reviews yet but user meta-score is 7.1.

Lilly looking through- It's adventure with lot of focus on puzzles and charming cartoon like graphic.It got 33k from kickstarter but that funding was only for finishing game.Reviews are positive but RPS didn't have same positive opinion.

Kentucky route zero- I knew about this game but I didn't know it's kickstarter game until recently.This is game funded in pre-Schieffer era, asked for only 6k got 8k.Heavily praised game.

Knock-knock- weird but interesting looking adventure game by studio called Ice pick lodge.They got 41k from kickstarter. Most reviews are very positive but keep in mind that this is niche game that will not suit to majority of people.

Magrunner: Dark pulse - they had their own crowd-funding.It's first person puzzler with Cthulhu involved somehow. Initial reviews are very good.My opinion of game in short:Good puzzles, bad writing.

Moebius:Empire rising-Adventure by Jena Jensen.It raised $435k on ks.So far reviews are negative.

Monochroma-A cinematic puzzle platformer about being a kid and caring for a little brother in a chilling 1950s dystopia.It raised $84k on kickstarter.Reviews are negative and scores are around 5/10.

Mysterious cities of gold: secret paths-Isometric adventure game based on cartoon of same name.It got 46k on kickstarter.No reviews yet.Game is avilable on PC,iPad,iPhone,WiiU and 3DS.

Neverending nightmares-Psychological horror game inspired by authors own mental issues.It raised $106k on kickstarter.Not many reviews so farm but they are positive.

Octodad 2-Adventure game funded in pre- Schafer era but released after Broken age.Sequel to freeware game, it got 24k on ks.Reviews are mixed and the range from 45 to 90.

Paranormal - horror adventure unfortunately I know little about this one, I didn't see any reviews but I seen that there is expansion on kickstarter that is near the end with double of asked funds (3000$ asked).

Qora-Pixelart adventure that raised $10K on kickstarter.No reviews yet

Reversion: Chapter 2 - The meeting Adventure game with a small indiegogo campaign. Reached its goals with a few $ to spare. Alright reviews, has been in a bundle, don't know how well it has sold.

Shadowgate It's remake of P&C adventure from 1987.It raised $137k on kickstarter. Not many reviews so far but most are positive, form mainstream sites gamespot gave it 7/10.

Tesla effect:A Tex Murphy adventure -One of big names from 90's.It raised $598k on ks but it also had publisher funding.So far reviews and user scores are good and they say it's faithful to it's roots both in good and bad way

Trip-Surreal exploration game with only 2.2k budget.

The Samaritian paradox-Pixel art P&C adventure that raised $675 on indiegogo flexible funding.No reviews yet

The time tribe-Episodic educational adventure.Asked for 25k on KS got 30k, no reviews on regular gaming sites but there are some on sites dedicated to education games and they are positive.
Action
Elite dangerous-New game in famous space sim series.It raised £1.5m on kickstarter.Game doesn't have singleplayer yet.Reviews are good but most say game has even more potential once more content is out.

Fist Puncher- Side scrolling beat them up with retro graphic, they aimed for 10k and more than doubled goal.Reviews are mostly positive around 7/10, but there are some rally negatives one TotalBuiscuit's among those.

Legends of dungeon-co-op roguelike beat them up with some RPG elements.
Got 32k on kickstarter.Reviews really range for this game for 25 to several reviews above 80, user scores are more favorable.

Ringrunner : Flight of the Sages- SciFi Action RPG, with combat somewhat similar to game like Star control and space pirates and zombies with MOBA influence.the asked for 12k,got 27k.Reviews really mixed for this game form lowest 2/10 to 8.8/10.

Sir you are being hunted-Humorous survival game.It raised £92K on ks.So far reviews and user scores are mixed.

Strike suit zero Fast paced space shooter where you can transform from spacecraft to mech.Asked for 100k got 175k.Reviews are decent.

Takedown red sabre-Spiritual successor of origianal Rainbow six and Ghost recon from people that worked on those + suffering, condemned and halo:reach.Asked for 200k and got little more.Reviews and impressions say it's awful and broken.
Racing
Race the sun - "Intense racing through infinite sandbox worlds. Includes community multiplayer and the Simplex World Creator" that is description on KS page.Asked for 20k and barely made it.Reviews are very positive.

So what are you opinions about games crowdfunding brought so far?What games did I miss?

Last edited:
Nothing I've funded has released yet. So I still in a wait and see phase. I do know that I've stopped funding any until I see some return on my intial games.

I will however pledge much less per game in the future. I underestimated the number of game that would be kickstarted any put big sums in to the first ones I had interest in. That left me reluctant to put money in to others.

I will be more selective, pledge less per game and whether or not the game can be funded easily or not will all start to factor in to my kickstarter decisions.

For now I will watch the release dates slip and continue to wait for my first kickstarter to release.

FTL- huge kickstarter success and even more on release,good reviews.Very good game imo.
Never heard of it before.

So I checked metacritic and found this:
"A decent game ruined by the unfairness of the gambling based game play which more than often rolls the dice against you."

A game where luck is more important than skill? Not my pair of shoes.

About Expeditions:Conq. I can say only good things.
Dunno how I didn't supported it's KS project, but if they do another I'll back it up for sure.

Defense grid expansion -I didn't back this because I think they could found publisher easily but I did buy it and I think new levels are good but not great.

I think it should be noted that, a couple months after the extra content got published, the developers were finally able to land financing for a bonafide sequel. And backers for the Kickstarter content will be getting this sequel free of charge.

Reversion: Chapter 2 - The meeting Adventure game with a small indiegogo campaign. Reached its goals with a few $ to spare. Alright reviews, has been in a bundle, don't know how well it has sold.

"A decent game ruined by the unfairness of the gambling based game play which more than often rolls the dice against you."

That's hardly representative of most reviews of the game and not a very accurate review at that. Out of the 42 reviews on metacritic, one was mixed and 41 were positive. Out of the user reviews 141 were positive, 11 mixed, and 29 negative. Amidst that complaints about it being unfair sound more like an audience unused to hard and at-times-unforgiving games than it being MORE about luck than skill. Luck can certainly shape a single session, but generally skill is more important overall. Though obviously a game created so you will be very hard pressed to succeed on your first attempt and designed for re-playability is not everyone's cup of tea.

Surprised you hadn't heard of it yet too given the fairly large post-release press coverage it received including numerous game of the year nominations and several awards.

I would disagree with that.Sure it's roguealike you can die on string of bad luck but in vast majority of cases it's up to player.Dieing horribly in first few sectors is expected in first several games but after that reaching last sector isn't that hard.

Added to OP, I hope you don't mid if I just copy/paste your description since I am unfamiliar with game.

Last edited:
Most of the ones release so far were KS to top off mostly finished or at least near-alpha state, largely self-funded projects. It will be interesing to compare these later with games that rely exclusively or largely exclusively on KS funding.

Most of the ones release so far were KS to top off mostly finished or at least near-alpha state, largely self-funded projects. It will be interesing to compare these later with games that rely exclusively or largely exclusively on KS funding.

There isn't much of those since majority of project are at least partially self funded (most of smaller projects don't get far without alpha footage),but yes it will be interesting comparison,hopefully soon since shadowrun returns and banner sage fully KS funded games are not far from release.

BTW do you plan do reviews on any of those?That would be awesome.

That's the whole point of the game Joxer your outnumbered and have to survive. The game doesn't make it easy for you.

When I want to challenge my luck I'm playing cards.
When I want to check my "skills" I'm not.
Did you forget my posts about StarTrek Online and their gambling boxes scheme that drove me away from that game?

There is something when you play or when you design a game called "game balance". Too much of luck involved in gameending scenarios (party KO, death od the main character, etc) means poor balance. I'm aware some ppl enjoy exactly that. I'm not.

Also, keep in mind that many ppl "protested" on Risen2 jungle traps. Basically those were made as lucky hit on the keyboard or you have to reload. To me something like that isn't fun.

About Expeditions:Conq. I can say only good things.
Dunno how I didn't supported it's KS project, but if they do another I'll back it up for sure.

you got it wrong really. It's not that luck is more important than skill. It's that most games nowadays are made so that you can succeed even with bad luck. Skill is important (more than luck). Even in D&D, the most skilled player will lose to a string of critical 1s :)

I think the release date projections of Kickstarter games have been and continue to be wildly over optimistic. The problem is partly that posting an early release date is going to get you more funding. But, it's not, for the most part, that devs are being intentionally misleading - in software development shit always happens and games have never met their projected release dates.

The fact is that all but the simplest single player games take 2+ years to develop at least and Kickstarter funding hasn't been around much longer than that.

There isn't much of those since majority of project are at least partially self funded (most of smaller projects don't get far without alpha footage),but yes it will be interesting comparison,hopefully soon since shadowrun returns and banner sage fully KS funded games are not far from release.

Right, strictly speaking all or most of the KS projects also have some other funding thrown in, so it's maybe not that easy to distinguis. Still it seemed like some games like Shadowrung, Wasteland 2, PE, etc. were not really beyond the concept stage when they ran their campaign. Others, like Dead State , Banner Sage, Legend of Eisenwald had a little more to show, but were still clearly pre-alpha.
Giana Sisters, Expeditions, or Divinity OS seemed to be much further along, and funding seemed to be for refinement and polish, more than to bring the game into being in the first place.

BTW do you plan do reviews on any of those?That would be awesome.

I have no plans yet. But I enjoyed writing the Expeditons review and since some people seem to have enjoyed reading it, I think I'll try to write some more in the future. If I do, it's definitely these small and mid-size indie developer games that currently interest me the most. The biggest hurdle in my case is finding enough time to do a halfway timely review - I could only do the last one because I had some free long weekends.

FTL is pretty great, luck plays a role but its not by any means the defining factor that makes it so you win or lose.

As you learn the game and get better, unlock new ships with different play style, you can overcome most ''bad luck" events. In fact, without that the game would end up too easy and lose the awesome replayability it offers.

+1 for FTL… definitely a very good game for what it is. I don't normally play Roguelikes, but I got a surprising amount of enjoyment from that one.

I think the release date projections of Kickstarter games have been and continue to be wildly over optimistic. The problem is partly that posting an early release date is going to get you more funding. But, it's not, for the most part, that devs are being intentionally misleading - in software development shit always happens and games have never met their projected release dates.

The fact is that all but the simplest single player games take 2+ years to develop at least and Kickstarter funding hasn't been around much longer than that.

More importantly my impression is that they vastly underestimate the resources required to develop good games. Typical new developer behavior, by those who haven't the experience developing a full game production.

More importantly my impression is that they vastly underestimate the resources required to develop good games. Typical new developer behavior, by those who haven't the experience developing a full game production.

I think that underestimating release date can be really dangerous for some team since they can run out of funds before project is complete.That happened to aterdux(legends of eisenwald dev) and they had to seek publisher funds.

When I want to challenge my luck I'm playing cards.
When I want to check my "skills" I'm not.
Did you forget my posts about StarTrek Online and their gambling boxes scheme that drove me away from that game?

There is something when you play or when you design a game called "game balance". Too much of luck involved in gameending scenarios (party KO, death od the main character, etc) means poor balance. I'm aware some ppl enjoy exactly that. I'm not.

Also, keep in mind that many ppl "protested" on Risen2 jungle traps. Basically those were made as lucky hit on the keyboard or you have to reload. To me something like that isn't fun.
The thing is though that luck & skill are not mutually exclusive. A large part in many games that have a luck element (be it Temple of Elemental Evil, Warhammer 40k, Fire Emblem or World in Flames) is planing around it, making sure that you never leave yourself overly exposed when the dice don't go your way and knowing how statistics can be worked to your favour. And this holds true for FTL as well.

Even cards for that matter. A skilled hearts player can win a round with a poorly dealt hand as well as with a great one. A neophyte, not so much.

Back
Top Bottom