The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

These are what's on my WinAmp "Random Play" currently…lots of Doom/Folk Metal in there, a genera that I only became introduced to a few years ago, and which consequently enthralled me completely lol ;)

As a youth of the 80s, I've listened to quite a few different types of music over the years, and it seems my musical journey is no where near finished. Which I find very exciting!

The internet and threads like this one have really been a fantastic way for me to find and experience bands and musical tastes I never would of ever come across on my own.

To which I can only say a heartfelt "Thank you" to all that participate :)

The list:

Agalloch
Insomnium
Be'lakor
Lethian Dreams
Omnium Gatherum
Ghost Brigade
Exxasen
Anoreksi
Katatonia
Suidakra
Dark Tranquility
Far Beyond
Euphoreon
Amon Amarth
Eluveitie
Swallow the Sun
Within Temptation
Okera

~
In Strict Confidence
Velvet Acid Christ
Delerium
Enigma*
Conjure One
Dead Can Dance
Trisomie 21

Those are the main "go to" choices…though Floyd and Tangerine Dream continually creep their way in from time to time ;)

Maybe this will help someone out there find something new to enjoy!

Regards

Here's an amazing track from Insomnium I'll share, impeccable music and atmosphere, coupled with harsh vocals, with truly poetic lyrics…an amazing mix!

~ enjoy ~

Insomnium - In The Groves of Death

Lyrics (quoted sections from "Tumma" by Finnish poet Eino Leino, translated into English):

In the evening of a grey day, a bleak day
I strayed into the dim silence of the hallowed trees
Where the fir-trees whisper of those been, those gone
Where the sacred earth still hides all those we once loved

"O father, hear these words, your son is not made for this world
Faint-hearted and careworn, into this vile life I was hurled
In the woods the fiends sigh, I swear I heard the demons neigh
On the seashore I espy the dreadful void under the tides"

Ill-assorted with this life, these cares
Each moment I am waiting for the worst to come my way
Dark berry from my mother's womb; a frail one
I was affrighted at my birth, bewildered from the start

Better it would be to stay in the shades
In the thicket of the dead, in the groves of death
Here I would lie to the end of the days

"Hear me now, my hapless son
Warn away all yours fears
Make good use of your brief days
Life may be grim but death is more austere
By yourself you sit and wait
By yourself you will have time to repent"

"In these lowly halls
No moon will beam, no sun will shine
In these narrow rooms
No tears are seen, no laughter heard"

At the dawn of a quiet day
I strolled from the woods, returned to the hearth
And with a restful mind I roamed
The dreary shores, the darkling wilds
Greeting all the days that befall
Taking life as it comes…

Agalloch !!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to see people heard of them. They played in my country two-three years ago but I didn't make it to the concert :(

Listening to Oasis - Morning Glory and drinking a huge hot cup of coffee.

Here's an amazing track from Insomnium I'll share, impeccable music and atmosphere, coupled with harsh vocals, with truly poetic lyrics…an amazing mix!

~ enjoy ~

Insomnium - In The Groves of Death

In general I'm not particularly fond of "monster-cookie" vocals (Opeth and Gojira notable exceptions). But this works! And as you say "impeccable music and atmosphere" and "truly poetic lyrics" (the latter a rare thing in extreme metal). Thank you!

pibbur who is awake at the time of writing and who would recommend the prog metal band Headspace: Never let go (from EP "I am" 2007)

Last edited:
It's "Cookie Monster", pibbur, after the Sesame Street character. ;)

I haven't been holding up my end in this thread recently, but I haven't researched new music since the demise of MySpace so everything I put here would be retreads. I'll make a tour of YouTube soon to see if some old stuff has become available, but unfortunately that's the best I can offer right now. :(

Was suddenly reminded of Scottish band "The Associates" from the early eighties, read about "Gloomy Sunday" written by Hungarian pianist and composer Rezső Seress. The tune is according to urban legends supposed to be make you kill yourself, a claim which - surprises, surprise - has little merit.

Billy Hollday recorded a version of it, but the Gloomy Sunday I remembered from my twenties was the one recorded by said bband on their album "Sulk". And on that album is one of my all time but long forgotten favourites: "No". An eerie piece of music and an eerie voice.

pibbur who … something.

Just listening to
B Mashina by Siddharta, the original to Laibach's cover.

PS: And as an afterthought, here's their wonderful T.H.O.R..

wow, Gorath - i just didnt think of you as the Draconian type. One of my favorite bands, and i have to say that Where Lovers Mourn is up there in my fave albums of all time. Great stuff.
What do you think of their newest, 'Rose for the Apocalypse'?

Personally, i think it's good (there's not a bad cd in their history) but i will always like their earlier stuff much better. I really like the plodding, mournful guitar sound, they tend to visit that less and less as the albums progress. Theyve changed here and there, but thankfully not for the worse as bands often do. They have evolved, but stayed consistently good.

Right now listening to Def Leppard's "Pyromania", which is so diametrically different both musically and thematically, it's almost funny. I've been listening to music from my youth a lot lately, trying to see if it still holds up. Pyromania is okay at times, but it doesnt hold up as well as something like Motley Crue's "Shout at the Devil", which is actually a pretty well written and composed album.

Something tells me I'll be dusting off Where Lovers Mourn here pretty soon.....

I don't have their newest album yet. My primary speakers were damaged for the last year or so, so I simply didn't buy new CDs until I had an adequate platform to enjoy them. A logitech 5.1 set for PC isn't all that great for music. ;)

On what kind of music would you have put me? Modern Talking? ;)

LOL, no. Doom is a hard-core niche genre type of music, I just didn't think of you as the doomy type. Particularly "Where Lovers Mourn" is misanthropic as hell, another trait that I dont see in you. Maybe it's the penguin avatar, lol.

Last edited:
I've lately been listening to Dream Theater. They're pretty cool, with some songs really nice sounding, but they're one flaw is the mediocre vocals they sometimes have. Instrumentally they're amazing. But they could do with better vocalists imo.

Currently listening to Dream Theater - Scene Six: Home

Oh, but Dream Theater vocals are a dream compared with those of
Lacrimosa. I saw them alive only last week, and believe me … it's far worse when they sing live. The music is louder which is pretty cool, but those voices :eek:: … his voice is, er, well, you get used to it after a while, but IMO the songs she sang all by herself bordered on assault.
I still enjoyed the show!

Back
Top Bottom