The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

"Rich multi-layered" is pretty wide target so let's throw out a few possibilities, some more obscure than others, and see if anything does the trick:
"Beautiful Things" by Andain
"Beautiful" by Echoing Green
"Kein Zuruck" by Wolfsheim
"Destroy Everything You Touch" by Ladytron

And not a shoegaze tune among them... ;)

Been away for a couple days and haven't had a chance to listen to everyone's samples. Just wanted to mention that I have the Ladytron album with that song on it. Took a long while for the album to grow on me, but it did. "Witching Hour" is the best track imo. Never would have compared them to Depeche Mode though.

Incedentally, the best cover of a Depeche Mode song I've ever heard was by Lacuna Coil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx58hXh4pVA
The video's kind of pointless but it's worth listening to through to the end.

Edit- Finally got to listen to your clip, Sammy. While there's a pretty big disjoint between the classical work and your usual death metal at first blush, the operatic female vocals (without the bluster of true opera) runs strongly thru both. Do you differentiate on the vocals, though? For me, I can give you vocals that are achingly beautiful (Suzanne Perry in the above clips fits the bill, among others), or I can give you vocals that make love to my ears (Harriet Wheeler of the Sundays and Kaitlyn ni Donovan of the High Violets would fit), but I've never heard a voice that truly belongs in both categories. I wonder if you run into a similar situation, although your "divisions" would probably be different.

I'd have to say that a true classical singer who has elevated her voice to an almost supernatural level (such as Mary Ann) can of course do both, when not even really knowing what the hell she's saying can still make your heart melt. You still know youre listening to something really special, difficult, something that's amazing. Her voice is the essence of femininity. That's the double whammy of skill and emotion right there, but "classical metal" vocals and true classical soprano are two totally different leagues of course, minor and major respectively.

Still looking for the metal dame that can do both, havent found her yet!

Last edited:
Hmmm, DM covers, eh? There have been a few tribute cds (I know Trancemode Express has done several, although I'm guessing that's not the musical direction you really want to take), but I never really looked into them. Don't know that this cover is all that spectacular, but I found it when I was on my Andain kick a couple years ago.
"Here is the House" by Andain

Started digging around a bit, and look what I found. It's a trend. :uneasy:
"Here is the House" by Echoing Green

A little more obscure than usual--the good news is that although this band has only 2 good songs, both of them are at the link:
"Silver" and "Snowshine" by Colfax Abbey

Last edited:
Pardon the double post, but I found a special treat for the NFGer's:

Not sure why, but this is Gig's theme for me. I imagine Giggles driving a red convertible, hair a wind-blown mess, speeding down an ocean-side highway on a georgeous sunny day. Couldn't tell you why, and the only link to reality is that I've got a general idea where she lives. Anyway, close your eyes and see everyone's favorite carefree "Southern Spirit".

"Finest Hour" by Velocity Girl

Iron Maidens - Phantom of the Opera

All girl tribute band to Maiden, seeing them tomorrow night. Theyre pretty cool, really good musicians, but I dont like their vocalist as much as their former one, Jen. She just doesnt have the presence that Jen did. Nor that snarl or yell, man Jen looked like she'd rip off your head if you got too close!

Current Lineup doing Aces High

Old Lineup doing the Trooper

Jen was just more of a metal dame, the new one tries to actually sing too much. You just need to belt it out lady, sound venemous, sound raw ya know, it's metal. She sounds more like Bruce too.

And who the hell is Alex Skolnik, get off the stage! Good guitarist tho ='.'=

Last edited:
A little lighter fair for this morning:
"In Your Arms" by Orange Yellow Red

CU- you should scroll down and play "Shattered". I think it's an unholy marriage of Danella and Robert Smith.

I recently discovered Staubkind. While this track may not be thoroughly representative for their stuff, his voice reminds me of Peter Heppner's.

Straight-forward fun pop music for y'all today. I don't know why these guys never really hit it big. Maybe the wide range of styles on each cd was too challenging for the masses.

"New Mistake" and "Baby's Coming Back" by Jellyfish

Gorgeous Frankenstein

This is Doyles (misfits) solo project, only two songs into it, and it sounds like total metal, not the punk I that I was expecting. Sounds like late-era Danzig, without Glenn, which is no surprise since it's on his evilive label and produced by him. He also runs the words together a lot too, (bad) grammatical trademark

Kidnapped - main theme
"Die Abenteuer des David Balfour" - "The adventures of David Balfour"

There was a "Kidnapped" made for TV movie (TNT network I think) not too long ago that had some good music. Wish I could find it on CD somewhere...

you have to search for Vladimir Cosma

Pomme Music 950662
Country
France
Format
CD
Release Date
UPN
3-436949-506629

Track listing

1. Theme De David (03:17)
2. Ballade D'Alan (01:43)
3. Catriona (02:31)
4. David Dans Les Loch (02:07)
5. Lord Prestongrange (01:40)
6. L'ecume De La Mer (02:39)
7. A Travers La Lande (01:46)
8. Enleve (02:12)
9. Theme De David (02:24)
10. Catriona Triste (02:11)
11. En Fuite Avec Alan (02:27)
12. David Chez L'oncle Ebenezer (02:31)
13. La Menace Des Highlanders (02:13)
14. La Maison De Shaw (01:47)
15. Alan Breck (02:41)
16. Le Grand Voyage De David (01:53)
17. Les Roses De Dublin (03:37)
18. Ballade En Irlande (01:59)
19. Solitude D'Anthony (02:13)
20. Incertitude De Spring (02:05)
21. Valse De Paulo (01:30)
22. Anthony Et Son Pere (01:48)
23. Amour Et Deltaplane (02:02)
24. Amour Paternel (03:00)
25. Les Roses De Dublin (03:36)

No, unless they used the same music for both shows, that's not it. The movie I'm thinking of was made about 4 years ago. The stuff you listed was written the year I was born!

Back
Top Bottom