Grimoire - Beta Report

Corwin

On The Razorblade of Life
Staff Member
It's not a big news day, so why not. An update on all the bugs found playing through 25% of the latest Grimoire build does make some interesting reading, especially since some appear to be new ones which weren't in the last version I played. I guess where's there's news, there's still hope for an eventual release.

Thanks for the tip Von Paulus
More information.

I'm not too optimistic about this. Seems like the bugs are all over the place. Maybe next year...

Grimoire is a great reminder of why I need to shut the hell up about trying to develop my own game :)

I'm not too optimistic about this. Seems like the bugs are all over the place. Maybe next year life…

There, fixed that for you ;)

If it ever comes out, I'll just accept it as one of life's little miracles.

Well, it is interesting to note that his son, who wasn't even born when he started developing Grimoire, is the beta-tester. He found enough bugs to feed the world's population of lizards :) Perhaps Cooper will actually learn to write code and complete Daddy's legacy.

Awww be nice. Thay's actually a very short list of mostly low priority glitches mixed with balance suggestions.

It definitely seems he bit off more than he can chew. From what I've read there's a level of C&C that makes it practically impossible to locate all the bugs (playing all the combinations). Still, knowing what it's like having made a smaller scoped game that nonetheless required many sleepless nights, I advocate respect & encouragement. Even if it requires many more years!

Last edited:
RPGs are a bear to test. Period. I am assuming this is all for real, and I totally feel for him here.

How many testers does he have?

It sounds like him, his wife, and maybe another. It seems to me it would behoove him to get more testers. More eyes = find bugs sooner = fix bugs sooner.

I'm sure he'd get volunteers to test for free.

There's a certain point where that's handy, but before that it's better to have only a few. Otherwise you have most of your testers complaining about the game crashing at exactly the same point, and by the time you get all those big, obvious bugs cleared out most of your testers have lost interest.

The only thing that could tear me away from Frayed Knights was a family emergency. You just need to know where to find some good testers :)

Like Corwin here, I'm sure he wouldn't mind testing it again and I highly doubt he would lose interest, but as far as I know he isn't even trying to get more eyes on his decade long project.

The very least it could do would drum up some hope that it is an actual game and getting pretty close to release.

Of course one or two minor things are going to popup and then he'll have to rewrite the whole dang thing again :p

I played an older beta, and really liked it...I'm hoping he does get it done, instead of jumping on the cynical band here...worst case scenerio he doesn't best case is he does and we get a game to play...really not much else to say.

I hear what you're saying, but if the game is in Beta I would expect it to be in fairly stable shape. And of course it would have to be a closed beta and not let just anyone get their hands on it.

Back
Top Bottom