Diablo 3 - First 20 Minutes of Gameplay

Between the generic gameplay and the really bland voice-acting on that female barbarian, I was close to falling asleep. Good thing the sound effects volume was set 10x as high as other sound settings to keep me awake!

Every time I look at one of these gameplay trailers, I keep hoping it'll show some interesting and fresh nuance to the game, but it all feels so very uninspired…

Between the generic gameplay and the really bland voice-acting on that female barbarian, I was close to falling asleep. Good thing the sound effects volume was set 10x as high as other sound settings to keep me awake!

Every time I look at one of these gameplay trailers, I keep hoping it'll show some interesting and fresh nuance to the game, but it all feels so very uninspired…

Er, it is a Diablo game, it isnt about the combat it is about customisation.

I'm with Drithius on this one. The Blizz fanboys will lap it up like honey raining down from the heavens but to me this is looking quite disappointing. If there is one developer in this world who has the resources to revolutionize or even invent whole new genres then it's Blizzard. Instead they are busy rehashing games from a decade ago with a minimally altered set of features, all the while getting the attention and applause as if they were about to shit out a lump of pure gold. It's almost a little bizarre, really.

It's Blizzarre...

I never really "got " Diablo either, I played through the original and never really felt any interest to buy D2. But I'm happy to leave this to the people who are excited about it, and maybe get it cheap a couple of years down the road.

At least that female barbarian has some meat on her bones.

Her full-figured shape seems to be the main innovation here - a nice departure from the norm. But yeah I don't really expect Blizzard to innovate in gameplay nowadays. Their thing is to take proven, popular formulas and polish them to addictive perfection. Which is fine, I enjoy their games when the mood strikes me and I appreciate their production quality. I just don't look to them for anything truly "new" anymore.

I just need to know when and where I can buy it already. if it's gonna happen, the sooner the better.

Theyre bringing some new things to D3, namely the followers, crafting, the auction house. At it's core an action-rpg is an action-rpg, it is what it is. If you are expecting anything else from Diablo, you should know better by now. The genre just isnt for you anymore.

When did Blizzard ever do anything new, anyway? They've pretty much always only introduced a handful of new elements into existing genres and polished the whole package to death.

Well there wasn't anything quite like the original Diablo when it first appeared. Though it followed in the footsteps of roguelikes and Gauntlet. The merging of action and roguelike elements was innovative at the time.

Other than that, yeah most of their stuff has been derivative.

Hmm, I can't really accept that Diablo was really that original, but all I can think of is earlier action RPGs on consoles like NES or SNES. The addition of online co-op was pretty revolutionary, of course.

I think it was a very original take on a familiar subgenre - executed extremely well, and with added cooperative LAN multiplayer.

I'm not sure why it's important whether it was original or not. What's important is that it was a fantastic game for a hell of a lot of people - including myself.

this one is tons more funny and interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4qmrZEF-rE&feature=relmfu

6 parts also..

Thanks. I ended up watching them all, but I think most of my enjoyment came from the two guys bantering with one another :p I have to say that the Witchdoctor looks somewhat dull, though I'm not sure how much of that is personal bias against pet classes.

Additionally, I was surprised and disappointed to find out that there would be no built-in voice chat support for multiplayer. I guess they wanted to keep server bandwidth costs down for battle.net.

Overall, Diablo 3 really feels more like a 3D rehash of D2 than it does a game we've been waiting for for 10 years.

Now that that pile of negativity is out of the way, the monk's attacks look fun :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom