Cube World - A Voxel-based Exploration RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
This new game was brought to my attention in our news box. It's called Cube World, and looks like Minecraft fused with an RPG.

Extended Cube World FAQ

Q: When will Cube World be released?
A: I'm currently tuning and fixing everything but I don't know how long it will take and can't estimate a release date.

Q: How many people are working on this game?
A: I started this as a small hobby project in June 2011. Since May 2012 we are a team of two developers.

Q: Can I help with programming, graphics, sound, music etc?
A: Thanks, but I want to do everything by myself.

Q: Which platforms are supported?
A: Currently just Windows PC. Mac support is planned in the future.

Q: Which games inspired you?
A:
- Minecraft: Endless random world made up of blocks
- Zelda, Secret of Mana, Landstalker, Monster Hunter and more: Style, gameplay, overall feel
- Diablo, World of Warcraft: RPG elements
- And many more

Q: Which features do you still want to add?
A:
- Player customization: I'm planning to add player customization whith different faces, hair styles etc.
- Classes: I'm planning to add a mage class next and more classes in the future
- Different playable races
- Quests: A variety of different quests
- Items: Different weapons, armor and other items
- Building: Different blueprints and materials
- Weapon/Armor upgrading system
- Different pets

Q: Is there multiplayer support?
A: Yes, you can do everything in the game cooperatively with friends. I can't say anything about maximum players per server because it still needs to be optimized and tested.

Q: Will you add mining/building/crafting?
A:
- I'm not planning to add mining or digging.
- House building is supported.
- I will probably add a crafting system that allows you to craft weapons and armor from loot dropped by monsters.

Q: How do you create this game?
A: I've programmed everything with C++ and DirectX (OpenGL for the first version). For the voxel sprites, I created my own voxel editor.

Q: Will the final game still be called "Cube World"?
A: Probably not. It's currently just the project name. I'll have to come up with a new name soon.

Q: Will it be free?
A: No.
More information.

Last edited:
For whatever reason after seeing that vid, I'm 99.99% sure that game will be MMO.
I'm not buying.

I find that unlikely, based off of everything else on the game site.

Oh, here we go, from his Twitter account:

"You can play it offline singleplayer or online multiplayer with privately hosted servers."

Last edited:
Very charming game :)

It's got a nice retro JRPG feel to it.

This game has a very japanese feel in the music, the gameplay(bosses, transportation vehicles, artwork, secret areas...), the camera angle...

Diablo and WoW as references for RPG elements.

The RPG elements fallacy's legacy. That was a great finding whoever found that fallacy: associating roleplaying games not to roleplaying but to game mechanics supposedly specific enough to qualify a genre.

Definitively deserves a medal.

My first impression was "meh", but I have to admit that I was somewhat intrigued by the time I finished watching the video. I'm not getting the Japanese vibe that others are claiming.

This looks like it has everything Minecraft should have evolved into having. Like, actual gameplay. Granted it doesn't have any actual mining which I assume is done to differentiate it as a product further (as it shouldn't be hard to give you a pickaxe and generate a handful of different underground materials) but, this is what I hoped for.

Also, how the hell is this so smooth, effortlessly generating entire continents, when Minecraft chugs every step? Is that Java's fault? It's so annoying to play.

Anyway, I love many of the games this is inspired by, like Monster Hunter (I hope he gets the equipment crafting off of boss monster loot and other materials right) and while this is definitely a lighter more button mashy approach the rest of its elements should give it its own identity and make it an engaging experience overall. I'm excited.

Mods would be great though, so that even if it falls short in some areas (like quest variety) people could fix it with their own content. I can imagine fans adding lego versions of famous monsters from Monster Hunter and other games that fit the themes.

Lol @ thinking it's an MMO based on nothing. No, it's secretly a racing game, meh!

Edit: reading past updates his work on things like NPC schedules is impressive too!

That, and he wants to see about getting this to work with Oculus Rift, which, depending on how good the tech actually is, would make the hand gliding mind blowing.

I like the overall look of the game, but I find the swords that are twice as long and wide as the character to be a big turn-off.

Hmm, if we are talking looks, my problem would be more that the character looks like a chewed up piece of lego, actually...

My first impression was "meh", but I have to admit that I was somewhat intrigued by the time I finished watching the video. I'm not getting the Japanese vibe that others are claiming.

Well i find the the bright color palette, terrain style, sound effects and overall cutesy whimsical feel pretty evocative of classic JRPGs.

I can't help but go "DAAAAAWWWWWW" at the game, it's so adorable :D

Back
Top Bottom