Ultima Underworld is back !!!

Nice! I couldn't really get into the original UU games because they were too dated by the time I got around to playing them, but I love these types of games in general.

Here's another article. It seems like it's going to be a spiritual successor.

Good lord that is awesome news! I can't wait. I never played the original but I heard great things. I may even fire up the original at some point and give it a shot. I don't mind dated graphics and UI that much...

I'll be excited when I see some pics not just too much of beer made some rumor. :evilgrin:

I've tried UU1 a couple times, but never been able to get into it. The graphics kill me. Not sure why, but archaic graphics in 2D don't both me, but for 3D, they can be a real buzz kill. Probably force myself through it at some point though.

A Looking Glass (my favorite developer) dude trying his hand at UU again? That's the next best thing to System Shock, so that's great news!

I played UU1 and UU2 when they were new, I liked them then, but now I'm not so sure I'd like them. My tastes have changed and for some reason I don't think I'd play a UU3 made today.

Simply incredible news, thanks for posting Risine! This is something I've been waiting for, for many many moons now. :) Whilst Arx Fatalis kept the spiritual banner flying high, Ultima Underworld's great concepts have been dormant in the depths for far too long. I can't wait to read more about the project. Kudos to Mr Neurath and all the best to his team in their endeavour.

Last edited:
I've tried UU1 a couple times, but never been able to get into it. The graphics kill me. Not sure why, but archaic graphics in 2D don't both me, but for 3D, they can be a real buzz kill. Probably force myself through it at some point though.

That's how I am. To me, as long as graphics are clean, and I can tell what things are, I'm fine with it. But early 3D grates on my nerves, even if it's games that I was awed by back when they came out.

I never played the original UU games, oddly, though I think I have them through GoG. I have an entirely too long backlog now. Here comes another one I guess.

Nice! :)

After the good news, the bad news : the game seems to be only in concept or prepod stage. That means, nothing to expect before 2016-2017. :lonely:

Amazing news. One of my favority games. Back in the 90s I even emailed looking glass asking if they will produce sequel and if thief is going to be like ultima underworld. Long wait is finally over.

Consider me skeptical for now until something is shown.

It's good there's two developers from Looking Glass Studio working on this (one being the very co-founder) but whether it will live up to the originals and feel like a worthy successor is another thing.

They better not let anyone down.

They better not let anyone down.

That would make it the first creative endeavor in the history of the world to achieve that.

It's key to start out with realistic expectations ;)

That would make it the first creative endeavor in the history of the world to achieve that.

It's key to start out with realistic expectations ;)

True but anyone (even former developers at Looking Glass) citing Ultima Underworld has a lot to live up too. We've already seen Thief die...

Mind, these guys probably know the fallout that would result from a badly done RPG although I have no doubts such veterans of the industry would produce a bad game. I just hope it's not something that's too dumbed down. One of the core aspects of the Underworld games (and its spiritual successor Arx Fatalis) was the complexity and interaction with the environments.

True but anyone (even former developers at Looking Glass) citing Ultima Underworld has a lot to live up too. We've already seen Thief die…

Thief dying isn't really about Looking Glass.

As for expectations, I try to stay realistic. I know I'll never get what I want, because I'm extremely greedy and my own concepts would require a ridiculous amount of time and resources. Also, it would have to align with my own idea of what I thought was great about Underworld. That part does seem to be covered based on the recent interview, though.

I never found the traditional RPG mechanics terribly vital to UU (stats and sheet doesn't really fit with a representation of physical reality in my mind) - and System Shock moved away from it almost entirely.

I did like System Shock 2 in terms of the mechanics, but I think it would have been better served with a less traditional approach. I think the UI and stats implementation sort of worked against the immersion-based gameplay.

Mind, these guys probably know the fallout that would result from a badly done RPG although I have no doubts such veterans of the industry would produce a bad game. I just hope it's not something that's too dumbed down. One of the core aspects of the Underworld games (and its spiritual successor Arx Fatalis) was the complexity and interaction with the environments.

I don't think worrying about a fallout is a smart way to develop your game.

I think if you have a vision you believe in, you should stay the course and pour all the heart and talent into it you can muster.

Fuck the audience, basically.

While such a thing would scare a publisher to death - it's surprisingly effective when you're trying to do art. In fact, if more people worried about their vision and trusted in themselves instead of trying to prevent a poor critical reception, I'd claim we'd be seeing more high quality games and more crappy games overall - but I'd rather want that, than a ton of mediocre and safe games.

Back
Top Bottom