The Witcher 2 - The Good Bits @ RPS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Richard Cobbett replayed The Witcher 2, and shares a few reason on why the game is still good a few years after it's release.

What The Witcher 2 really nails is that the people you meet live and have history in this world, and what happens will have serious effects in their future. The common people will get hurt, the kings and sorceresses will play their games, the fall of nations has effects for both the world and specific people caught up in it. This isn’t simply Geralt’s playground in a way that, say, Skyrim is for the Dovahkiin, but a world that feels like it lives and breathes and where life goes on where you aren’t. Just about every RPG tries to convey that feel, but very few actually succeed. With its political focus and close-knit group of recurring characters, The Witcher 2 managed it… even if it’s not always clear exactly what’s happened and what the larger implications of it are. (This, like many problems in the original release, was massively improved in the Enhanced Edition.)

And So Much More Good Stuff

I could go on, but we’re already at around 2000 words here. The Witcher 2 is easily one of the best RPGs of the last few years, both in its own right, and as something to be built on. I can’t wait for Wild Hunt to land, even if it does look like I’m going to need a RAM upgrade first.

But! Was The Witcher 2 perfect? No, of course not. Tomorrow, the things it got wrong, and more importantly, the things to hope that Wild Hunt has taken onboard and managed to fix…
More information.

Played the Enhanced Edition about 4 months ago,and have to say it was the most fun I had playing a rpg in awhile.

This one was a bit of a tough call to me.

I openly disliked the first Witcher pretty much: because of its botched localization to my native tongue, because of its juvenile sex, because of its nonsensical combat, technical issues, etc…

And then I happened to discover the books. They have a very distinct flavor and I like them a lot (think of an ordinary Slavic fairy tale turned upside down plus a healthy dose of cynical social commentary)

So, I gave a whirl to the second Witcher, and initially I *hated* it:
- the game ran in a glorius 5 fps on my rig.
- the combat was intimidating at best,
- the story had nothing to do with the books I've read so far, and started with a sex scene
… but the localization was fine at least…

So, I bought the game *again* for my XBOX, and I immediately fell in love with it:
- the technical issues are gone,
- the combat is wonderful with a gamepad,
- the localization is still good!
… the story is still a bit of a hit and miss, but due to my recent interest in Game of Thrones, I happened to like it eventually (boobs! blood! swearing! Tyrion!)

Soooooo… my dilemma is this: should I skip W3:WH and wait for the inevitable Enhanced Edition (read: bugfix and polish), or start drooling immediately for the May release? ;)

Back
Top Bottom