Diablo 3 - More Coverage

SC2 was a complete game in itself (with more gameplay, for me at least) than the original, so I've no complaints about the fact even more content is coming down the line.

If d3 is similarly larger, yet they have plans for even more content then cool - looks like there's going to be even more for me to enjoy.

I think I'm the target audience for this game - I only bought D1&2 etc. when they came down in price. Now I have a pre-order for D3 some 33% cheaper than other games coming out, like Skyrim etc.

SC2 was a complete game in itself (with more gameplay, for me at least) than the original, so I've no complaints about the fact even more content is coming down the line.

As a huge fan of the original SC, I was pretty disappointed by SC2. For a sequel that took 12 years to make, it wasn't impressive at all to me. The single-player campaign felt tacked-on, as if it was only there to prepare people for multi-player, and I didn't like that we only got to play a single faction (for the most part).

Ehm, if you want me to respond to a quote - you could at least provide it.

Also, I have read that quote - and I still don't see them doing anything but providing people with what they THINK most of them want. I actually think he's right - that most people won't mind having access to other people WHEN they want it. It's not forced upon anyone.

I call saying you cannot turn it off, saying you cannot have a traditional singleplayer experience, forcing it on people. Maybe that's just me. As much bitching as I do about Steam being forced on me at least you can turn everything off and pretend Steam isn't even there.

Speculate about what?

How many people solo MMOs. Neither of us know percentages. In my experience though people who like multiplayer tend to vastly exaggerate the popularity of multiplayer and social interaction. There was an article about Demigod, a very multiplayer-focused RTS, and how only 20-some percent of purchasers played online even once. That was staggering... a game intended for multiplayer, without a real campaign, and only 20% played online at all.

Now certainly some games are really popular for multiplayer and Diablo is one of them, but this idea I keep seeing today of Diablo 3 being a multiplayer game and not needing offline is just silly. I played Diablo and Diablo 2 entirely offline and I bet millions of others did as well.

I'm intimately familiar with a LOT of MMOs, especially WoW. They're not at all completely soloable. You can LEVEL to cap solo, but much (if not the vast majority) of the content REQUIRES you to interact with other people.

The end-game content requires you to play with others, yes. That is why it is there, to encourage continued subscription. They are purposely designed to be able to be played to the cap solo though.

Well I think you can still do everything solo in Diablo 3, or at least to the extent that you could in Diablo 2. You will just have to be logged on to battlenet to play. They have even added things like the new henchmen system that are only for solo players (I think) and which allow you to have a customizable NPC who fufills a role for you. I don't think this part is such a big deal unless you can't get an online connection for some reason.

I'm much more concerned about the cash AH and the lack of skill points. After reading some reviews I'm more inclined to be open minded about the skill point thing until I see something closer to a final version. Their justification for removing them was that they were promoting more class blandness with everyone pumping one or two skills, rather then diversity or interesting decisions. Which is fair enough, but I'd think this could be solved through improving the system rather then removing it. But I'm willing to see how it all pans out, it at least shows that they are willing to shake the traditional formula up a bit.

The idea of a cash AH though, I doubt I will ever come around to.

This streamlining of features sound quite heavy handed - and I fear they're making some of the same mistakes the Dungeon Siege franchise made before them. They're taking away "inconveniences" without necessarily understanding how the human psyche works. You can't shower people with conveniences and no-hassle content and expect them to be that much more excited. People NEED to work for something to be engaged, and they NEED to be distracted from the core gameplay - lest it becomes too obvious what they're doing.

This concerned me as well- but people will remain short sighted....

The end-game content requires you to play with others, yes. That is why it is there, to encourage continued subscription. They are purposely designed to be able to be played to the cap solo though.

Right. Try beating even a low level instance in WOW by yourself thats at your level
Its not only end level content you need a group for- its all instances and elite mobs. Which start at level 15 or 16. You can play Wow alone but you are greatly missing out and much is not doable alone.

Guild wars has required always online and you can play through the story alone with henchman and very little bitching about it has been noted. Its not like Blizzard has started this trend. I hope that the auction house will offer goods with in-game money as well. Other than that, I gotta say I am not real excited about thie game. I think I have seen every possible curve from an ARpg.

@ Yeesh
1) You don't know who is dismissing what "out of hand"; perhaps, just perhaps, we have given these issues some thought (you know, and read up on them), and have some experience with previous games in this franchise as well.
Yes, it's that previous experience I was directly questioning when I explained in what I thought were simple enough terms how the changes seem to be responsive to the way those of us who were really into Diablo played the game. But leaving that aside, all your experience with other games (??) and all your thinking about stuff really doesn't equate an informed opinion on whether the new game is fun. Experience in the beta, now that counts. Myself, I'm uninformed for now.

2) Talking about the "serious community" is BS. It's a game. People play it the way they want, and get from it what they will. And, no, the vast hours you spent accruing "massive trade wealth" doesn't make you a better, or more knowledgeable, player than someone who, to use your example, spent that same time to build alts. We don’t like the new system: opinions that are valid in their own right; however, if it’s needed, I will state that I have “played the last game for hundreds of hours” too, as well as every other game Blizzard has released (OK, Lost Vikings did not warrant hundreds of hours), and games (Hellfire) that weren’t even released by Blizz, but related. I know their franchises as well as anyone, and, obviously, I am disappointed by these changes, which are a heavy-handed way of correcting perceived D2 problems.
You're diappointed by a game you haven't played yet? I'm disappointed by some movie coming out in two years. I just know it's going to let me down. I don't even need to see it.

No, I do not agree that all opinions are equally valid. For example, someone who says NOT HAVING an auction house is better than HAVING an auction house is really going to have to work hard to make that argument resonate with me. Because it sounds kind of dumb on its face, especially considering that in game trading in Diablo II either consisted of reading bots in the many, many trade channels, or cycling through game names and hoping to see one that suggested someone was selling an item you needed. Of course, anyone who didn't want to waste their time took trading offline to sites like the delightful d2jsp, which offered a vastly improved trade experience.

I'm not sure what I didn't make clear, but of course I made scads of alts. That's whom all the equipment was for, which drives the trading, which drives the farming, which drives the alts for killing mo and mo stuff. Your notion that everyone can play their own way is all fine and well, but the fact is that YOU COULD NOT MAKE A SINGLE ENDGAME RUNEWORD in Diablo II without trading, now could you? Or have you forgotten that? The game was multiplayer focused from the very beginning. They didn't PREVENT you from playing by yourself in Diablo II, and if I understand correctly they don't do so in the new game either. But I don't see the big focus change, especially considering what direction the world has taken lo these past 11 years.

3) A cash auction, with fees, is a microtransaction- period. And Blizzard cutting out the skill points, and tying skill power to items, will cause more of them (and, surprise, more transaction fees for Blizzard). Microtransactions are a big part of why I hate modern MMOs. You like em, fine, great; however, that does not invalidate the concerns of people who don't. I too want drugs legalized and taxed, until my surgeon botches my operation because he’s on coke, then I might reconsider. Other people using a system I don't like/want can indeed effect me.
Your brain surgery analogy doesn't make sense on so many levels, but just to speak to the most practical one: Your surgeon is already on very high quality coke if he wants to be. Which of course is my point.

I really haven't read too much on this, but Blizzard seems to be making an in-game eBay, adopting the latter's model completely. Run the auctions, charge fees. Is eBay technically microtransactions? I don't know, I don't care, you're the one who despises microtransactions, although I question your linking them with modern MMOs when WoW got to be the gigantic alpha dog charging nothing but a flat fee. Still, not my area of expertise. The point is Blizzard isn't selling items. I don't care if they do, but what we're talking about is player to player selling, which once again was happening anyway. Once again, not a "paradigm shift".

Your assumption that taking out the skill trees means gear matters more makes no sense at all. I question the extent to which you've thought this all through. Gear always mattered. There was always a huge market for it, even when Blizzard wasn't making a single cent on the transactions. You're pretending that suddenly there's going to be trading in Diablo so Blizz can cash in, but again you're complaining about a change that isn't a change at all.

And again, no one's forcing you to trade. No one ever did.

Seem like a false equivalency? I agree, just like your mod argument. People will always find ways to cheat, always, but killing the ability to mod the game (for that stated reason) cuts down on community enthusiasm and the longevity of the game. I don’t play with mods a lot. I have friends, however, who doubled their D2 playtime as a result of them. You seem to think that all the mods just did minor GUI tweaks, however, many mods changed the entire skill system, drop rates, and play styles.
Oh, I was only playing online, so obviously mods couldn't change the game like that. Listen, there's no offline playing anymore, right? So of course the mods you're talking about were not going to happen anyway.

I'm glad that you like the new systems. Many of us don't. Jay's motto has always been, "It's your money, so play the way you want to play." That sets up an expectation, one that doesn't involve, "we don't want people point hoarding; we don't want them using only 2 skills, or looking up specs on the net, etc.".

And as for the dumbing down issue- it’s not even worth arguing about. Jay has said that the systems, as they existed last year, were too complex for casual players, and confused and overwhelmed them. (leading many to wonder where he got the shaved orangutangs they used for play testing, and why PETA didn't step in sooner) Thus, they (the game systems) have been dumbed down as a result.
I don't actually like or dislike the new systems because I haven't played the frigging game. I don't know, maybe it will suck. I can however see why the new systems make sense, and I take issue with the idea that only new players could appreaciate them. I take issue with the idea that the changes are worth complaining about in advance of actually seeing the game. I take issue with the idea that the changes are such a big shift from what the core of what made Diablo fun, and I take issue with the implied accusation that Blizzard has sold out.

If the game comes out and experienced players are immediately bored, if the ability system they've put in place means there are no variety in playstyles, if the game no longer feels like Diablo, if it's impossible to enjoy yourself without spending extra money on items, and of course, if the game's just no fun, well then I'll say "Damn, that sucks. Don't buy Diablo III, it's a waste of your money."

But yes, if someone has skipped ahead to that game-damning step already, without even playing the beta at least, they are dismissing the game out of hand. No matter how many other games they've played and no matter how much thinking they've done. Not to be pedantic, but this really is a whole new game.

All of this hooplah about an already mediocre hack n slash series. Staggering stuff.
If the Diablo series is your benchmark for mediocrity, I'm curious as to which hack and slash games you consider successful.

You can play the game entirely by yourself without issue.

No, you can't. And that's a biggest issue.

You can play the single player without any issues as long as:
- You are constantly connected, with no hiccups.
- Blizzard's servers are constantly connected, with no downtime, not being DDOS-ed at the moment.
- Blizzard hasn't decided it is time to shut down their servers for monetary (or any other) reasons.
- They don't ban you from connecting (let's say for cheating in damn single player game (precedent: Starcraft 2) or behaving badly on their forums (Dragon Age, different company, but not THAT different, I have to say))

So they ask you to pay the full price for the (dumbed-down kiddy graphics) game, asking you to be OK with all this, giving you (single-player preferring player) exactly zero value in return.

No. Fucking. Way.

I'll buy Diablo 3 for <= $15 or not at all.

- Blizzard's servers are constantly connected, with no downtime, not being DDOS-ed at the moment.
- Blizzard hasn't decided it is time to shut down their servers for monetary (or any other) reasons.
- They don't ban you from connecting (let's say for cheating in damn single player game (precedent: Starcraft 2) or behaving badly on their forums (Dragon Age, different company, but not THAT different, I have to say))

So they ask you to pay the full price for the (dumbed-down kiddy graphics) game, asking you to be OK with all this, giving you (single-player preferring player) exactly zero value in return.

No. Fucking. Way.

Exactly and just use the crack that will probably be out day 1 to remove the server part. I did this with every Ubisoft game. I could care less about socializing with other people and bragging about my accomplishments.

If the Diablo series is your benchmark for mediocrity, I'm curious as to which hack and slash games you consider successful.

I didn't say anything about a benchmark or anything about their success. I was merely expressing the opinion that I find the games middling at best and certainly not deep or very memorable cRPGS. They're hack and slash games, no more no less. A solid side dish and a worthwhile occasional distraction maybe, but never really a main course.

I wouldn't begrudge or be silly enough to downplay Blizzard their success with the series, because you only have to look at the influence Diablo has had on the action rpg genre as a whole and observe the amount of clones on the market that came after it, to see its rather pervasive influence. ;) The fact that we even have the concept of a Diablo clone is quite telling. It's certainly not the path I'd have preferred the genre went in, but each to their own as they say.

I've long thought that Diablo and its clones have been far more damaging to the RPG genre than other games that are more popular to place the blame on. For me, the streamlining of RPGs (or "dumbing down," depending on your point of view) started with the success of Diablo 1&2. The series really is the holy grail for publishers: it's a casual, simplistic, and easy to pick up game that - for reasons that I've never understood - still appeals to a large portion of "hardcore" RPG fans, in addition to casual gamers. I don't fault people for liking Diablo or its clones, because everyone has their own tastes and I always try my best to respect that, but that style of gameplay just seems so mindlessly boring to me, with very little player involvement or thinking required.

The only one of these kinds of games I ever liked was Diablo 2, and that was mostly for the atmosphere. I just don't get off on loot and that is what these games are based on.

I've long thought that Diablo and its clones have been far more damaging to the RPG genre than other games that are more popular to place the blame on. For me, the streamlining of RPGs (or "dumbing down," depending on your point of view) started with the success of Diablo 1&2. The series really is the holy grail for publishers: it's a casual, simplistic, and easy to pick up game that - for reasons that I've never understood - still appeals to a large portion of "hardcore" RPG fans, in addition to casual gamers. I don't fault people for liking Diablo or its clones, because everyone has their own tastes and I always try my best to respect that, but that style of gameplay just seems so mindlessly boring to me, with very little player involvement or thinking required.

I only like hack'n'slashers in small doses but I'd suggest your perspective misses the forest for the trees. These games (well, the good ones) aren't about the minute-to-minute gameplay but about the character building - especially in the "hardcore" modes after you've completed the initial campaign and replay at higher levels.

That aspect isn't casual or mindless at all - good high-level characters in D2 or Sacred 2 or whatever are quite complex with a huge number of possible permutations. In fact, I'd suggest many "hardcore-approved" RPGs could benefit from the character-building depth available in some hack'n'slashers.

If there's a problem with hack'n'slashers dumbing down RPGs, it's not actually with good hack'n'slashers -- it's with game developers (and players) thinking that Diablo is all about dumb clicking, when it's actually not. There are a lot of bad hack'n'slashers where game producers completely misunderstood the genre and built simplistic button-mashers - but they're just plain bad games rather than the genre being dumbed down.

I only like hack'n'slashers in small doses but I'd suggest your perspective misses the forest for the trees. These games (well, the good ones) aren't about the minute-to-minute gameplay but about the character building - especially in the "hardcore" modes after you've completed the initial campaign and replay at higher levels.

That aspect isn't casual or mindless at all - good high-level characters in D2 or Sacred 2 or whatever are quite complex with a huge number of possible permutations. In fact, I'd suggest many "hardcore-approved" RPGs could benefit from the character-building depth available in some hack'n'slashers.

If there's a problem with hack'n'slashers dumbing down RPGs, it's not actually with good hack'n'slashers — it's with game developers (and players) thinking that Diablo is all about dumb clicking, when it's actually not. There are a lot of bad hack'n'slashers where game producers completely misunderstood the genre and built simplistic button-mashers - but they're just plain bad games rather than the genre being dumbed down.

You make a fair point about deep character-building, but if the statistics and attribute building doesn't go towards meaningful gameplay, does that depth stay relevant? And that's where you're absolutely right about perspective - I'm a big-time gameplay guy. If it's a turn-based RPG, I expect a solid tactical challenge where I need to use my character's strengths wisely to exploit my enemies' weaknesses. If it's a real-time action RPG, I want to be involved in the action with proper timing and maneuvering (Gothic 2 is one example of what I mean by "player-involvement").

I can understand why people enjoy getting really involved with character-building, because I absolutely love that aspect of RPGs too. But if the character-building isn't complimented by good, engaging gameplay - be it turn-based with an emphasis on tactics or real-time with a focus on timing - that's when I lose interest. This can certainly go the other way too, where good gameplay isn't complimented by satisfying character-building, so what I'm trying to say is that I want the core gameplay mechanics and character-building to work in tandem in order to create a complete experience. Having one without the other feels unsatisfying.

I call saying you cannot turn it off, saying you cannot have a traditional singleplayer experience, forcing it on people. Maybe that's just me. As much bitching as I do about Steam being forced on me at least you can turn everything off and pretend Steam isn't even there.

How many people solo MMOs. Neither of us know percentages. In my experience though people who like multiplayer tend to vastly exaggerate the popularity of multiplayer and social interaction. There was an article about Demigod, a very multiplayer-focused RTS, and how only 20-some percent of purchasers played online even once. That was staggering… a game intended for multiplayer, without a real campaign, and only 20% played online at all.

Now certainly some games are really popular for multiplayer and Diablo is one of them, but this idea I keep seeing today of Diablo 3 being a multiplayer game and not needing offline is just silly. I played Diablo and Diablo 2 entirely offline and I bet millions of others did as well.

I'm taking a break from these multi-quote debates. I find the level of frustration versus the potential gain in terms of understanding out of balance.

So, I'll just let it rest for a while :)

I hope I'll enjoy Diablo 3 - as I fully intend to buy it. Just too much of a fan of the genre to ignore it.

No. Fucking. Way.

Well, I was actually talking about an issue with the fact that you're playing alone.

It's true that you will have to depend on their servers and the connection - no way around that.

It's a fair point, actually, and something to consider for any game. I doubt Battlenet will have much in the way of downtime - but there's always a risk and they're always down when you need them the most :)

If there's a problem with hack'n'slashers dumbing down RPGs, it's not actually with good hack'n'slashers — it's with game developers (and players) thinking that Diablo is all about dumb clicking, when it's actually not. There are a lot of bad hack'n'slashers where game producers completely misunderstood the genre and built simplistic button-mashers - but they're just plain bad games rather than the genre being dumbed down.

Wow, another case of agreeing with Dhruin. Gotta call a doctor!

Well, I was actually talking about an issue with the fact that you're playing alone.

It's true that you will have to depend on their servers and the connection - no way around that.

It's a fair point, actually, and something to consider for any game. I doubt Battlenet will have much in the way of downtime - but there's always a risk and they're always down when you need them the most :)

During the brief 20 or so days I played WoW there were at least three times I went to play and could not because of server issues. That was recently too, like last year, so it wasn't the early buggy days.

Also another reason there is no true singleplayer is because the community features will be forced on you, including chat. This was confirmed in the PC Gamer interview. The Blizzard employee compared turning off community features to "living in a cave."

During the brief 20 or so days I played WoW there were at least three times I went to play and could not because of server issues. That was recently too, like last year, so it wasn't the early buggy days.

Also another reason there is no true singleplayer is because the community features will be forced on you, including chat. This was confirmed in the PC Gamer interview. The Blizzard employee compared turning off community features to "living in a cave."

Of course you won't be "forced" to chat :) Are you kidding me?

As for WoW - that's different. We're not talking about WoW. You can look at Starcraft 2 for what to reasonably expect.

Of course, no one really knows for sure - but I don't think you're being fair if you're comparing D3 to WoW in terms of server-load.

I had two days to simmer down but I still stand on my view of not buying the game now.

They're talking up the Battle.net crap, but rest assured it's just code-speak enabling them to tip-toe around mentioning the real reason for the persistent internet connection, the same reason as always: DRM and anti-piracy.

The Battle.net features are certainly nice for those that actually want them. And the thing is, none of the features are needed for the core experience that they justify forcing the persistent Battle.net connection on every possible user.

If anyone remembers Ubisoft got viciously lambasted by this for doing exactly the same thing. Interesting how the reaction this time is different just because its Blizzard.

As a final thought on this I'm happy for those who will enjoy the game and think the features are necessary. You see I'm a caveman and according to Blizzard's VP I dont exist as a customer. Alright then Goodbye there not the same company they were pre-wow days. There my final thought on this topic.:ahoy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom