BioWare - World Design Contest

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Following on from their writing contest last year, BioWare has now announced a World Design Contest, with the winner potentially landing a position at BioWare Austin as a level designer on their MMO:
BioWare asks for designers to create a Neverwinter Nights adventure to showcase their world design skills using the Neverwinter Nights 1 Aurora Toolset. There are a lot of options to consider when creating a module in the Toolset, but it is important to remember that we will be mainly looking at the technical skills and creative level design used.
When hiring world designers, BioWare looks at your scripting/technical abilities, your creative level design skills, your ability to create cinematic moments, and your ability to create interesting and fun puzzles. Because BioWare is known for quality, we also value a world designer's ability to create stable, bug free work that is well documented.
Hit the link to read the full details. Thanks, Lucky Day!
More information.

I might enter this. I have a mod I worked on about 2 years ago that I think is very exciting visually. I may need playtesters so if you'd like to volunteer I could send it your way when its ready.

I got some further clarification from the News Forum over at Bioware. Third Party scripts are allowed but you must give credit to the Author.

No third party content was the rule but they had to back track on this. This was a concession that was made because there is a real push on Cutscene Design and Gestalt's system has become the defacto standard. If you were to try using the Bio cutscene system on its own you'll find a lot to be desired in terms of timing things.

So what it comes down to is there are no haks allowed. I'm pretty sure this means the optional downloadable haks that Bio offered with patch 1.67 but I'll ask and clarify. Apparently this was a small disaster so they'll never do that again.

Although this is a contest meant for Game Worlds the submissions they want is single player. They are looking for creativity in the areas of creative level design, cutscene and scripting.

Since I never used haks on my PW I tended to look for a scripting solution so this contest is right up my alley. If I wanted interesting/good liking stuff I tried to do it with a script. This module I started just after finish with my PW so, even though it was meant as Single Player, I wasn't out of the mould yet.

Back
Top Bottom