Resident Evil HD graphics update

Resident Evil Remake

• No way, old school - play the original you noob

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ive played my dues - gimme HD Resident Evil FTW!

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Why would you bother with this game, anyway???

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
I was considering a replay of the original Resident Evil, when I saw this for preorder in the steam store. This is kind of exciting, no?

i didn't even know there was a remake in 2002, here i was checking the condition of my Playstation disk from the 90's (perfect btw)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304240/

i dont think ill get it on Steam tho, most likely a PS4 purchase….

edit: nice, pre-order it for ps3 you get it for ps4 as well

Last edited:
i didn't even know there was a remake in 2002

Yep, this is just an HD re-release of the Gamecube version. It's definitely better than the PS1 original though. I stumbled across the Steam page a few weeks ago, but I wasn't aware that it was also being released on consoles.

Not sure what platform I'll get it for, but I'm definitely getting it. I tend to collect anything Resident Evil. :)

The GC version is not just a graphical overhaul, it adds some new content, like new areas & new enemies. It's still fundamentally the same game, just prettier and with more stuff, but I personally found the GC version to be better, enough so for it to be worth buying even if you own the original (if nothing else but for the "Crimson head" encounters, you'll see when you play the game), as long as you don't pay full price for it. At 20€ (current steam price), it's not a bad purchase, but I would not pay 30€+ for it.

If they re-release RE:Zero, then that one is well worth getting. With the risk of angering any RE fans out there, I actually found it to be the best entry in the series (though there are several games in the series that I've not played, including every game that came after 4, nor have I played the Veronica games).

*edit* As for which version to get, do note that RE: HD will run at 30fps on consoles and 60 on PC. While RE might not be one of those games where a high FPS is super important, it's still nice to have a good framerate. Also, the PS4 version apparently has issues with not even being able to keep a constant 30fps, sometimes dropping down into near 10 territory according to Digital Foundry. No idea how the Xbox version runs.

Last edited:
Since they're doing this, I wonder if the other RE games might get the same treatment. They've already released HD versions of RE4 and Code Veronica. I'd like to see them do RE2, RE3, and RE0 as well.

(though there are several games in the series that I've not played, including every game that came after 4, nor have I played the Veronica games).

RE: Code Veronica is just 1 game, and it's part of the main series storyline. It takes place between RE3 and RE4.

Great game too. It was my favorite RE title until I played RE4. It was originally a Sega Dreamcast game, and I purchased a Dreamcast for the sole purpose of playing it. I later got it for the Gamecube as well.

Last edited:
Since they're doing this, I wonder if the other RE games might get the same treatment. They've already released HD versions of RE4 and Code Veronica. I'd like to see them do RE2, RE3, and RE0 as well.

RE: Code Veronica is just 1 game, and it's part of the main series storyline. It takes place between RE3 and RE4.

Great game too. It was my favorite RE title until I played RE4. It was originally a Sega Dreamcast game, and I purchased a Dreamcast for the sole purpose of playing it. I later got it for the Gamecube as well.
Ah, I thought Veronica & Veronica X were different games, but apparently not. If it gets a PC release, I might pick it up (I do own a GameCube, but the price of the GC version is just not reasonable over here). And RE2 & 3 got GC releases as well, so they could just give those the same treatment as RE:HD (which they probably will, if this version sells well).

Do you have a PS3 or Xbox 360? An HD port of Code Veronica X was released as a digital download from the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live about a year ago. Hopefully they'll eventually do a Steam Version as well, but I haven't heard any rumors.

Also, I need to correct what I stated in my last post about RE:CV. Chronologically, it takes place between RE2 and RE4. I had forgotten that RE3 actually takes place before, during, and after RE2.

Do you have a PS3 or Xbox 360? An HD port of Code Veronica X was released as a digital download from the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live about a year ago. Hopefully they'll eventually do a Steam Version as well, but I haven't heard any rumors.

Sadly no. Most games that I wanted for those consoles were released on PC, so I never had much of a reason to buy one (there were a few titles that I wish I could play, like Metal Gear Solid 4, but not enough to justify buying a console).

Resident evil is,easy,in my top 3 games. I still remember my first encounter with those zombie dogs.

I had some fun with the emulated Gamecube version - but the gameplay is kinda archaic in terms of camera angles and some frustrating barriers of the old-school kind. I've always wanted to try it again, though - but I'll probably stick with an emulated version, as I can tweak everything as I want - and I'd prefer to have the memory footprint save option for something like this :)

supposedly there are two different control schemes you can use, classic and a new version that supposed to be a little less wonky

Nice recommended requirements they have there…

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Quad 2.7 GHz, AMD Phenom™ II X4 3.0 GHz or better
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560, ATI Radeon HD 6950, or better
Monitor Resolution: 1280×720 or higher

Like someone copypasted specs from my old machine. :D

Voted for the third option. I have too many games to play and replay already.

the gameplay is kinda archaic in terms of camera angles and some frustrating barriers of the old-school kind.

I felt that way about it even back in the 90's. :)

The Resident Evil series is somewhat of an anomaly to me, especially the older titles. There are a lot of aspects that I think are poor, like the controls, voice acting, inventory system, and sometimes even the writing. Yet the games somehow manage to be a lot better than the sum of their parts.

I never got into these. Zombie shooters seem too generic for me. I loved the variety in other horror shooters though: Painkiller, Dead State. Should look for some others.

No shooting? Really? The gameplay I saw had a lot of shooting, very little survival horror. hmmmm. It was probably one of the later incarnations...

Did I say there was no shooting? ;)

The more recent games are indeed a lot more action oriented than the older titles. RE 0-3 were more survival-horror with exploration and puzzle solving. The series switched to a 3rd person view with more combat emphasis beginning with RE4.

I'd start with RE1 if you're interested in giving it a try. PC version launches a week from today. Check out the link at the top.

My error…. So which one is the best at survival horror? And is there a PC version?

There are existing PC versions of 1-3.
And there is a little bit of shooting, but the early RE (pre RE 4) are not shooters, they are more focused on puzzle solving, exploration & avoidance. RE 0-3 are really closer to Alone in the Dark (the original one) than to RE 4 in terms of gameplay.

Back
Top Bottom