Hero-U - Update #35, A RPG Slider

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Cole's have updated the Kickstarter page for Hero-U with some less relevant information like what they did for Valentine and more relevant information like how the game allows you to change between adventure and RPG playing modes. There will be a slider.
Lori came up with a new solution to the "Is it an adventure game, or is it an RPG?" question. Instead of having a difficulty slider (or possibly in addition), we will have a game style slider. You will be able to select "Puzzles only, no combats", "Traditional RPG with random encounters and emphasis on combat", or "Mixed adventure and RPG". We may add a few settings such as "RPG Challenge Mode".
In addition an audio file has been added, which might or might not be from the game.
More information.

So a slider that's turns on and off combat? Combat is just a mechanic between Adventure quests the frequency of which is dictated by the slider?

It makes it seem so artificial then.

I suppose it allows for variation in gamer preferences. Some people just don't seem to like a lot of combat.

I'm pretty stoked about the music. It's not your typical RPG fanfare by a mile

So a slider that's turns on and off combat? Combat is just a mechanic between Adventure quests the frequency of which is dictated by the slider?

I didn't have this reaction at first, but now that you point it out, yeah...

worked for Mass Effect, just without the slider (combat was just filler for talky-talky choose good/evil response cutscenes)

Uh-oh. It seems to me, that even the Coles don't know what to make out of the game -- which is bad. As a designer you must have a very strong idea about the game's genre, else the whole thing will fizzle: not smart enough for adventure, mediocre for an RPG.

duerer, your lack of faith is disturbing. We will be improving the experience in all modes by doing this - We won't have to dumb-down combat for adventure gamers who hate any form of combat, and we can provide "challenge-mode" combat with high difficulty for players with less interest in character development. Our normal Quest for Glory style game will be in-between. You decide at the start and can't change during a play-through.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom