RPGWatch - Child of Light Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
While playing Child of Light, Forgottenlor decided to write up a review and send it our way. So here are his findings.

Though a typical sidescroller, Child of Light also offers opportunities for exploration. There are often alternative routes to reach the next goal. There are also treasures and secret rooms one could miss if one only travels straight from A to B. Many of these secret rooms are a series of traps or timed obstacles at the end of which one is rewarded with treasure chests. I'll admit that I'm no puzzle master, and often don't like puzzles in games. Either they're so simple that they seem like a chore, or they're so hard, I need to look on the internet for a solution. I was pleasently surprised by Child of Light's puzzles. They were never unfair, but often made me experiment and think. Even the timed obstacle courses are well done. Instead of having to make one perfectly timed action, you often have to navigate about five obstacles in a set amount of time. If you complete four (they all have small margins of error), you complete the course and get the loot.
More information.

Thanks Forgottenlor for writing this review.

I just finished this game a couple weeks ago and I pretty much agree with this review. I think I liked it a little more than you, probably 3.5 out of 5 overall for me.

Just for anyone considering trying this...do get it on sale ( I got it for like $5 or so over the last holiday steam sale).

Also those screenshots/concept art are completely unrepresentative of the actual game. If those are actually concept art for this game they drastically changed directions. The actual game looks nothing at all like those shots (I can't even figure out what areas those are supposed to be concept art for). You definitely want to google some screenshots from the game if the art style,etc matter to you.

I still hate this game for being soled boxed ( ! ) with no real contents inside - one still has to download it even after buying the box. Normally, any game box would have had any form of physical data bearer.

I just finished this game a couple weeks ago and I pretty much agree with this review. I think I liked it a little more than you, probably 3.5 out of 5 overall for me.

Yeah, I'd probably give it 7/10 if it was on a ten point scale. But it seemed more of a 3 point than a four point game to me. I'm not sure if we can give half stars?

I still hate this game for being soled boxed ( ! ) with no real contents inside - one still has to download it even after buying the box. Normally, any game box would have had any form of physical data bearer.

This seems unfortunately rather common now of days. I bought Skyrim game of the year edition and Fallout New Vegas at the store and both were Steam versions with nothing of interest in the box.

For the record, a game rated with 3 stars mans this:

3 – A score of 3/5 indicates a good game held back by obvious technical or design issues that limit the appeal. Games that score 3/5 will often split opinion, depending on how strongly the player perceives the flaws.
http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/info?infoid=2

Myrthos - I think this rating explanation should be at the end of every review.

It is. At the end of every review is a 'How we rate' link.

See it now - looks like this: How we review - :)

Memory is already fading when I switch between pages, to type what I read on the previous page :)

Interesting and surprisingly critical article. Thanks Forgottenlor!

Thanks for the review! I used to like really long RPGs, but with my time commitments recently, I just can't start a game that I know I'm never going to finish. (I wanted to like Dragon Age, really I did, but I just didn't have the time to get into it.) If Child of Light delivers a pleasant little under-12-hour experience, maybe I should just go grab it the next time it's on sale.

Thanks for the review! I used to like really long RPGs, but with my time commitments recently, I just can't start a game that I know I'm never going to finish. (I wanted to like Dragon Age, really I did, but I just didn't have the time to get into it.) If Child of Light delivers a pleasant little under-12-hour experience, maybe I should just go grab it the next time it's on sale.

If you like the graphics and theme, I'd say go for it. The first five hours or so are really enjoyable and its an easy game to get into.

Back
Top Bottom