Obsidian Entertainment - Working on a "leading animation franchise"

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We've actually known Obsidian is working with a "leading animation franchise" for a while but business and talent agency DDM, who represent Obsidian, recently put out a .pdf on their business, which has ignited coverage on a pile of sites such as this one at GameSpot sent in by Frozen Fireball.
The original document is here (spotted by Joystiq), if you want to go straight to the source, but there isn't any other detail.
More information.

Wheel of Time adaptation in collaboration with Red Eagle Games.
Wow, that's hell of a lot of material to work with, know they'll do a great job!

I really loved, The Wheel of Time game by Legend for what they tried to do, a prequel to all the books. The music was amazing.

My money's on Hello Kitty.

Feargus Urquhart referenced a mysterious licensed project, saying, "There actually is another game that I can't talk about at all. It's a licensed product that when people hear about it, they're going to be 'well you had to do that. There's no option, if I was a developer and I was offered that, I would just do it.'"

So this means I will have absolutely no interest in it. Another Sonic the Hedgehog type game.

Oh well, if it keeps them in business then go for it because they are working on another title that I am very interested in.

This seems to put the final nail in the coffin of any likelihood for Obsidian to be working on Fallout 4.

Hopefully Bethesda will consider hiring them to do the subsequent Fallout game.

Another Sonic the Hedgehog type game.

I wouldn't consider Sonic the Hedgehog to be a "leading animation franchise" -

Perhaps something along the lines of Mickey Mouse, Shrek, Toy Story, Pokemon, Dragonball, The Simpsons, South Park, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Avatar the Last Airbender, Futurama, Transformers, etc.

Most of these are aimed at young children which seems quite odd for an Obsidian project.

What else are they working on besides Hello Kitty?

gijoe perhaps--lot of options for character customization, factions, etc.
we be great to see them put the obsidian flavor on such a jingoistic franchise.

i wouldn't mind seeing a tmnt game as i have fond memories of playing the one for nes as a kid.

futurama wouldn't be sweet as well but that would seem like a tough road to make a good let alone great game from.

I wouldn't consider Sonic the Hedgehog to be a "leading animation franchise" -

Perhaps something along the lines of Mickey Mouse, Shrek, Toy Story, Pokemon, Dragonball, The Simpsons, South Park, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, My Little Pony, Avatar the Last Airbender, Futurama, Transformers, etc.

Most of these are aimed at young children which seems quite odd for an Obsidian project.

Keyword in my sentence was "type" :p

Bottom line is that it won't be something I'm interested in unless it's Ugly Americans.

Unless it's star wars: the toon wars I don't know of any western cartoons that would lend themselves well to an rpg, it's probably a japanese one.

Dragonball, ghost in the shell, rurounin kenshin/samurai x aren't really leading, least not anymore. Probably one of the modern popular ones like cowboy bebop, naruto, bleach etc..

It sounded more interesting when it wasn't confined to an animation IP.

Wall-E : post-apo, space, robots, decadent society !

Another nail in the coffin I've prepared for Obsidian. They've very obviously turned towards mercenary work in the worst way imaginable.

Doing a game that will make them money is not a bad thing. It's better than dying out which a lot of RPG devs tend to do because there is no money in it. There's passion, but no money unless you're Bethesda or Bioware.

Actor's do it all the time. They'll do the blockbuster that gets them paid and then they'll make the more artsy movie. Why shouldn't a RPG dev do something similar? Seems perfectly logical to me and Troika should have tried this as well. Maybe they'd still be around to make those sweet sweet games. *Sigh*

I think One Piece would be a good franchise to make an rpg out of and they could make it an open world game. It also has some advantages over making a standard pirate based rpg with how the world is structured and the powers that exist. It would be like mixing superheroes and pirates in an alternate 18th century style world.

I'd be game for a Shrek RPG ;)

(if it has romancable dragons, at least)

I grew up with Turtles and Transformers, so they would both be interesting. I suppose Batman, Superman and so on could also get labeled as a "leading animation franchise"? Star Wars also has an animated series, but Star Wars way too big to simply get labeled as an animation franchise.

Time will tell, but I doubt I'll get blown away by the announcement. I'm just not that interested in animated series.

Back
Top Bottom