Witcher 3 - Badly Polished Games

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Eurogamer's polish site had a chance to talk with a board member of CD Projekt named Adam Kiciński about the extra delay for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

"Gamers ..." he said (in a translation supplied by Eurogamer Poland), "took our decision very well. [The] market is afraid of badly polished games on next-gen platforms."

Undeniably, the faulty releases of games such as Assassin's Creed: Unity, DriveClub and The Master Chief Collection are still fresh in people's minds.

"We want to disarm the opinion that [The Witcher 3] doesn't exist," he went on, tackling another concern. "It will be closed by the end of the year in line with the schedule.

"There's a lot of small errors though, because the game is huge. It's the only reason behind the delay. We didn't assume it will be this big. Only after putting all the pieces together it turned out it's bigger than the two first put together. Let me remind you: it's open and not linear. We are just learning how to play it and we have to catch the little pieces. We know what to do, we just have to do it. We don't want to release the game with bugs that undermine the gameplay."
More information.

I haven't been following this closely but that sounds like the best possible reason for a delay to me. It is unfortunate for PC players that it is probably the consoles causing the delay but if the game is more stable as a result when it ships then I'd prefer that. These days the norm is to release and patch afterwords and while some patching is expected sometimes its way too much.

For example, I'm unhappy with Dead State releasing the way it was and posted months ago pleading not to release it if it was unfinished. I'm sure they had their reasons and have less luxury to pull back a game from release and spend time on polishing it than CD Projekt does. Seems like DA:I was delayed by like a year to make sure it was polished but it still seems to have major bugs if I read the news correctly. So does the extra time really help that much? The developer in me says yes, the consumer say I'm not sure.

For a moment I thought this said Bad Polish Games
Well it's essentially the same word without the (ed) so I can see why. :)

I couldn't fit the whole articles title which is "Witcher 3 dev: Market is afraid of badly polished games on next-gen" It's to long so I just used Badly Polished Games.

Anyway I'm still disappointed by the second delay announced this year. That's why a developer should not promise a release date, and say it wont happen again. :disappointed:

I couldn't fit the whole articles title which is "Witcher 3 dev: Market is afraid of badly polished games on next-gen" It's to long so I just used Badly Polished Games.

Anyway I'm still disappointed by the second delay announced this year. That's why a developer should not promise a release date, and say it wont happen again. :disappointed:

It's christmas Couch, i'm sure what you really meant was "Bah, humbug" :biggrin:

Rather a delay for the correct reasons than a hastened release for the wrong reasons...

So, does Eurogamer have a new polish site or did you refer to their Polish site? ;)

Back
Top Bottom