DarkLight Dungeon - Released, Interview

Dhruin

SasqWatch
DarkLight Dungeon, an indie "role playing game set in a 3D dungeon featuring 2D turn based combat", has been released. If you buy it, you'll also get 50% off DLD2 (when released) and there's an in-game puzzle that can win you $100 if you're the first to send in the code. Screens here, if you need a reminder.
The Rampant Coyote also has a preview type article and an interview with Jesse Zoeller:
RC: You mentioned on your blog being inspired by games like Wizardry and the online RPG Shadow of Yserbius, as well as by modern games. What influences did these games have on Darklight Dungeon? Were you trying to recapture anything specific from these and other games?
JZ: The feeling of what’s in the dungeon, what’s next. Wizardry and Shadow of Yserbius were not just hack n slash dungeon exploring, there were puzzles, keys, and mystery that gave you a reason to keep pushing deeper into the dungeon.
RC: The game starts pretty cryptically. You don’t know why you are there or how you got there. Can you tell us anything more about the story without giving away spoilers?
JZ: It’s hard to say any more then the initial story without giving away the cliffhanger. Basically, you find yourself in this dungeon, with others who appeared in the same manner. You are trying to help them and yourself find the answer as to why you are there, along with a way out of the dungeon.
More information.

SS25.png

SS17.png

Ok, so this game looks an awful lot like Demise (that map, those skills, those specific resistances, etc). Does anyone know what the story is there, and why that game isn't mentioned as a (the?) major influence?

Perhaps a coincidence? Many folk don't know about the whole Mordor/Demise/Ku'Tan kettle of fish, but Wizardy and Eye of the Beholder and such still have recognition from the older crowds and other audiences like Japanese players where the styles roughly have lived on.

Otherwise, I suppose somebody could ask the chap over on his forum and pick his brain further.

Demise was a party game and this is solo, but they are very similar in many ways, especially the lack of a save option!! (Except when you quit the game)

I understand it auto-saves every five minutes, too. Not that it is functionally different from save-on-exit as far as I am concerned.

The combat is VERY primitive TB. I also found the PDF manual virtually useless. For example, there are 4 schools of magic, but aside from their names, no other information is given!! Weapon choice at start is severely limited, as is any form of armor. I've seen better betas.

Armor? You got armor? :)

It was a relief to finally pick up some bronze.

I keep expecting the store-owners to get some kind of new shipment (from wherever they get their supply of gold, I guess) as I go up in levels, but that hasn't happened yet.

Looks interesting and the interview makes it sound pretty enticing. I think I will have to give the demo a shot.

I don't think the lack of availability of items will bother me too much. I do enjoy working for my equipment. If done right, item rarity can make you appreciate the value of a piece of equipment.

This game is pretty fun. I played through the beta, and found the loot, spells, and monsters exceptionally well balanced as your character progresses. Something I have not been able to say for most modern RPGs…

And while the UI is very minimal, I prefer that over gaudy. From what I've read, Jesse has added more info about spells in the UI.

Last edited:
Armor? You got armor? :)

It was a relief to finally pick up some bronze.

I keep expecting the store-owners to get some kind of new shipment (from wherever they get their supply of gold, I guess) as I go up in levels, but that hasn't happened yet.
In Demise the store has some basic equipment, but for higher level stuff it only has what you've sold it. Maybe that's how it works here too :p

(And while Demise is a party game, people who played (play?)in the multiplayer scene are limited to one character dungeon crawling, which is (was) almost always used solo.)

EDIT2: OK I didn't see there was a demo. I'll just check it out myself.

Back
Top Bottom