Bethesda making Mature Wii game. First pics.

Except that it seems like most people actually want to use the wiimote. The success of the wii is almost entirely due to the wiimote.

No, the success of the Wii is, as Dez pointed out above, the demographic that Nintendo has targeted so well. Although I'm sure the motion sensing gimmick certainly hasn't hurt sales. What sucks is that Nintendo insists on forcing people to use the Wiimote, even on games that would be better suited to a gamepad. I'm not sure if it's due to pure laziness, or their refusal to believe that the Wiimote is not always the optimum contoller for every situation.

I think the way of the future is the wiimote, but it needs tweaking. The wiimote + nunchuck has all the functionality needed for games anyway but it needs to stop using the wiimotes and nunchucks motion controls for unnecessary things.

I hope wii isn't the only future. While Wii games are fun, they aren't really my favourite games. Fun in short burts to ease the stress after work maybe or the social playing phenomenon..but above all I love good deep storylines with choises and consequences. Exploring new worlds.never gets old. I hope they don't stop making Rpgs or 1st/3rd person shooters/action-adventures :).

More risens is what we need.

On a side note, Black Sigil is supposedly getting released in the states tommorrow. I've been waiting on that for a while.
Nope - Black Sigil is a June release now (Amazon keeps bumping my pre-order).
Oh, I don't think it's the sameness of the gameplay as much as the target audience. Some of us don't really enjoy family/children oriented games.
Exactly - and some look at what the X360 and PS3 offer and see a monolithic appeal at least as narrow as what is on the Wii. It is because of anti-Wii, anti-family, anti-populous gaming sentiment that many 'h4rdc0r3' types are blind to that ... it just isn't kewl enough for them.
I think you're missing the point. You can get *any* type of game on the PC, all you have to do is look, but at least the choice is there. You don't have that choice with the Wii, or at least it's very limited in that regard.
Again, in the last 2-3 years?
*Cough* um......ok. Pretty bold statement there, definitely a matter of personal taste.
Name another platform on which the depth and breadth of RPG's released in the last 3 years would have Etrian Odyssey not even hitting the top 20?

Again, in the last 2-3 years?

Did all other types of games suddenly stop being made for the PC in the last 2-3 years? I'm not sure where you're coming up with that. Are you talking about all genres, or just RPGs?

It's not just about variety though, My issue is mostly with quality. I've owned a Wii since the week it was released, and I think I might have 10 games for it. The quality just isn't there for the vast majority of third-party titles being released, and the Wii has already become known for that.

Name another platform on which the depth and breadth of RPG's released in the last 3 years would have Etrian Odyssey not even hitting the top 20?

I'm not sure why a game with an average review score around 75% not hitting the top 20 would surprise you.

I'm already aware that the DS is great for RPGs.... if anime flavored Jrpgs, and ports/remakes of 15 year old Super Nintendo games is your thing.

Exactly - and some look at what the X360 and PS3 offer and see a monolithic appeal at least as narrow as what is on the Wii. It is because of anti-Wii, anti-family, anti-populous gaming sentiment that many 'h4rdc0r3' types are blind to that ... it just isn't kewl enough for them.

You seem to assume that because some of us don't enjoy family/children oriented games, we automatically like the narrow appeal on the Xbox 360/PS3.

You don't seem to be able to think about this in non-B/W terms.

I would advise you to consider not putting people in tiny boxes, simply to pretend to understand them.

I had a Wii on launch night, and I think the only games I honestly enjoyed on it were Zelda, the RE-related games, and stuff accessible through the virtual console. I understand what demographic they are appealing to, but they need to keep their traditional audience supplied as well. The Wii exists only to dump massive amounts of shovel ware onto it. I'm terrified of what Nintendo doing now becoming 'the future' of gaming. What happened to all of Nintendo's third party developers, by the way?

Its all about profit maximization. I read from recent gaming mag that triple A titles like zelda sold relatively poorly on wii. They can make more money with junk games.

The paying customers of wii (well those who pay for the games) are not asking for top quality.

I had a Wii on launch night, and I think the only games I honestly enjoyed on it were Zelda, the RE-related games, and stuff accessible through the virtual console.

Yep, I basically purchased a Wii just for Zelda:TP and Metroid Prime 3. I actually spend more time playing Gamecube games on it. Speaking of RE-related games: where the hell are they? So far all we've gotten is an on-rails gun shooter. Thankfully Capcom is releasing RE5 on the PC.

Yeah, I also got a Wii to play Zelda and it was a decent enough game.

I gave the console to the ex, though, as she gets a lot more out of it than I ever would have.

Yep, I basically purchased a Wii just for Zelda:TP and Metroid Prime 3. I actually spend more time playing Gamecube games on it. Speaking of RE-related games: where the hell are they? So far all we've gotten is an on-rails gun shooter. Thankfully Capcom is releasing RE5 on the PC.
Correction: TWO on-rails gun shooters :-/. When Darkside comes out, at least...

Ahem. The RE-related games are...well, Resident Evil 4 and I guess RE0/1. I know you didn't like the controls for RE4:Wii but they're the closest thing to mouse control I could get on a console. I'm horrible at aiming in shooter-y games with console controllers.

I'm looking forward to RE5 on the PC, even though I have it on the 360.

Zelda TP is the very definition of cookie generic cutter rpg's though. It is a shame that not a single decent rpg is on the wii.

I personally have never viewed the zelda series as RPGs - in my mind I've always looked at them as some sort of action adventure RPG platformer hybrid, which is all well and good, since I enjoy it. It bothers me that the Wii doesn't have any good, traditional RPGs (as far as I know), though. I think it would honestly be a perfect platform for them. It doesn't focus too heavily on graphics (although I do enjoy me some purdy pictures) so you could have games that focus entirely on storyline and gameplay and not have it fail compared to its in-system competition.

So what do you think of it? I haven't played it at all yet, I'm purposely avoiding it until the PC release.

It was fun. I miss the older games, though. RE4/5 didn't have the same sense of urgency for me. It's really easy to get ammo, you have a lot of guns, and so forth. It's in no way shape or form survival horror anymore, I guess. It's a good game, though - if you enjoyed RE4 you will enjoy RE5.

It was fun. I miss the older games, though. RE4/5 didn't have the same sense of urgency for me. It's really easy to get ammo, you have a lot of guns, and so forth. It's in no way shape or form survival horror anymore, I guess. It's a good game, though - if you enjoyed RE4 you will enjoy RE5.

I enjoyed RE4 a great deal, although I think it would be impossible for me to choose a favorite RE game. Code Veronica & RE4 were the best as far as storyline imho, and Nemesis is definitely my least favorite.

One thing I don't miss about the older games is how your completion time affected your end rating. I always felt that made the games slightly less enjoyable because it encouraged you to rush through them, which I didn't want to do.

I enjoyed RE4 a great deal, although I think it would be impossible for me to choose a favorite RE game. Code Veronica & RE4 were the best as far as storyline imho, and Nemesis is definitely my least favorite.

One thing I don't miss about the older games is how your completion time affected your end rating. I always felt that made the games slightly less enjoyable because it encouraged you to rush through them, which I didn't want to do.

Agreed - CV and RE4 are my favorite storywise, and are tied for 2nd place in terms of my favorite RE game (my favorite is RE2). Nemesis was pretty awful except for the fact that Nemesis actually would randomly appear to beat you up. I remember the first time I came out of the save room in an alleyway and seeing Nemesis standing there. Freaked me out!

I think the completion time thing is BS, too. I got the point where I could speed run through RE2, though - I think my record was something like under an hour for Leon's A game, only getting hit by enemies two or three times.

So I know I came off didactic, and that is because for entirely too many people the whole 'Wii is for kiddies' mantra is just the tired next iteration of 'consoles are for dumbed down games for short attention span kiddies'.

Yes it is a generalization ... and I apologize for appearing to cast a wide net, not my intention.

I am not a huge Wii fan, surprisingly, despite having one in the house. There is some fun stuff, and my kids love it ... but for me the PC is my home.

That said, over the last couple of years I would rate the release quality as follows: DS, X360, PC, Wii, PS3, PS2, PSP.
I'm not sure why a game with an average review score around 75% not hitting the top 20 would surprise you.
You might want to think twice about pulling review scores ... looking at Etrian Odyssey II in terms of scores would put it as 'better' than The Witcher, Gothic, Jade Empire, Arcanum, King's Bounty and many others that would likely populate a 'best of PC RPG in the last 2000's' list ...

I'm already aware that the DS is great for RPGs.... if anime flavored Jrpgs, and ports/remakes of 15 year old Super Nintendo games is your thing.
And also largely the types of games - adventure, classic RPG's, etc - that no longer find a home on the PC.

You seem to assume that because some of us don't enjoy family/children oriented games, we automatically like the narrow appeal on the Xbox 360/PS3.

I actually wasn't speaking to you guys and should have been more clear about that - this site is full of some of the most thoughtful and mature and open-minded folks I deal with regarding gaming. Not that we always agree, but that is half the fun!

... arrgh ... too much time on a very X360 / PS3 / teen-heavy forum lately ...

Well, not to beat a dead horse but... I also bought a Wii on release and hardly use it. I kept telling myself that it's a good console, I just need to wait for good games. And, yeah, the good games never came. (Excluding Zelda, Met Prime and my Wii favorite Red Steel)

There are a few good games coming this year and next, such as red steel 2, FF:CC: Crystal Bearers, Monster Hunter 3, Silent Hill Shattered Memories, The conduit, Muramasa the Demon Blade and maybe this bethesda game.

Back
Top Bottom