KoA: Reckoning - Failed to Meet Sales Expectations, CFO Says

How can you say it's not possible without knowing what I mean by respectable production values?

Perhaps I misundertood your comment; however, I don't believe it's possible to focus 100% on the art without considering the commerce at all, unless you have some sort of government funding, or unless you are making an installation art piece sort of game.

Perhaps I misundertood your comment; however, I don't believe it's possible to focus 100% on the art without considering the commerce at all, unless you have some sort of government funding, or unless you are making an installation art piece sort of game.

Well, perhaps 100% is an exaggeration - because is it ever possible? I think I was trying to communicate that the kickstarter concept will allow developers to gain funding without trying to appease publishers. They can create their vision and ask people to support them, and presumably - once they have what they need - they can focus on creating that vision.

But they can't ignore the reality of having limited resources and meeting deadlines. But the project will be in the hands of the artists - not the businessmen.

That doesn't automatically mean better games, far from it. There are a LOT of crappy artists - and there are a LOT of excellent artists that can't manage a project to save their lives. But I'd still prefer the artists in charge - because I'm confident that when a game DOES get made, it's much more interesting than it would have been with a suit-guided design.

Well it really comes down to this. Some company's want to make money to make better games, and others just want to make games to make more money.

Two different ideologies with there own different goals.

The thing about publishers is that they don't make games, they finance them. If they were about games above money, they would probably be developers.

But, there ARE publishers who understand that the best games can sometimes generate the most money. But it requires courage and a real interest in creating something of high quality. That's the rare part.

So, I just think it would be a fantastic thing to behold a game with respectable production values - focusing 100% on the art itself.

Based on what happens in the rest of the art world this will likely produce dog excrement, probably at a rate beyond Sturgeon's Law.

Based on what happens in the rest of the art world this will likely produce dog excrement, probably at a rate beyond Sturgeon's Law.

I have no doubt that's how you think of art - but I can't say I equate art with the "art world".

Back
Top Bottom