Card Hunter - Review Roundup #1

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I have two new reviews for the recently released F2P Card Hunter.

Tech Raptor - 97%
I usually shy away from free-to-play browser-based games. Not because they aren’t good, but because they are so focused on making money, that monetization breaks the game. Card Hunter does an incredible job of bringing a card-based role-playing game and putting some monetization in that really only needs to be paid for if you want to do more than what the base game gives you. If you like strategizing, collecting, and role-playing, Card Hunter is the free game that will occupy your time for a long, long, while!
Leviathyn - 8/10
Card Hunter has only just come out of beta and so far there have been quite a few technical problems. The developers have been extremely responsive however, and the problems are all being fixed quickly. There is often someone in the multiplayer lobby chatting with players and helping to sort out any issues that anybody has. In a free-to-play game, it’s value is often in updates and continued maintenance and so far the dedication of the Blue Manchu staff is glowing. It will be exciting to see how they encourage the community to continue growing.
And for last a small hands-on article from Rock,Paper,Shotgun.
I’ve played it a couple times in various states, and it’s quite fun. Strategic options are many and varied, and deck building is as utterly compulsive as you’d expect. The plot is also full of cheeky nods to tabletop role-playing, so you will be amused on all possible levels.

Card Hunter is free-to-play, with money potentially unlocking new characters and adventures individually. Alternatively, you can snag a “basic edition” for $25 or subscribe. I am curious to find out how all these various tiers affect multiplayer (if at all), but I haven’t played enough of the full release yet to find out.
More information.

Okay friends I have been playing this today and I have to say this game Oooozes Charm! I mean it is so .... Charming. It evokes all the good feelings I had while looking at those lime green D&D modules (the under dark series) or this pink/brown ones (keep On the borderlands).
Yeah it is cool-- I will throw some money at this -- great job b y the debs. I have not tied multiplayer yet.

I just played a bit, it is actually very fun, and at least at the point I left it (tutorial + 2 full adventures) I didn't feel the need for any 'pay' option.
My only complaint is that the party is warrior/priest/wizard… where is my favorite class the thief!? And the party size seems to be 3. Other than that, the mini battles are nice and challenging enough (the last one I played I thought I had no chance, with my dwarf warrior down, my elven priest with 5 health left and my human wizard with 4 health left, against an almost dead golem and a half health gargoyle thing. But they managed to win.

Why oh why do they have To make this a F2P webgame? I find it such an instant turnoff, yet I'd almost certainly drop 15-20$ or so for a standalone desktop version (like Occult Chronicles, for example). Indeed, that game is also made with Adobe tools (Shockwave/Director, rather than Flash) but the principle holds.

I guess I just have to bite the bullet and accept these newfangled web games :(

Back
Top Bottom