Dragon Age: Inquisition - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Time for another short news roundup for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Th first item of interest is form Game Informer who has more stats from players about gender this time.

DAMFStats.jpg

Following yesterday’s information about dragon murder, BioWare has shared new details about player choices in the game. This time out, we find out how many of you chose male inquisitors versus female heroes.

68 percent of Inquisitors were created as males. Every platform on which the game appears (Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC) tend toward male characters. However, the largest percentage of female Inquisitors is on PC, with about 40 percent.
Next Forbes Contributor Paul Tassi talks about why the game isn't GOTY material.
Every major gaming outlet recently wrapped up the year with a top ten or so list of best games, ultimately culminating in a coveted Game of the Year award. The game running away with the most high honors? That would be Bioware’s Dragon Age: Inquisition, the high fantasy epic which aimed to reverse ill-feelings fans had toward the series after the lackluster Dragon Age II.

Its plan worked, it seems, judging by the accolades. Dragon Age was GOTY for practically every major gaming outlet: IGN, Game Informer, Polygon, EGM, The Escapist, and the newly christened video game awards show, The Game Awards. I just don’t see it.
And for last Bioware posted a new Twitter post about a new patch.
The next patch is close. Once we have it locked we will have more details. Not locked yet. I realize this isn't a very satisfying answer.
More information.

Last edited:
And I wonder what percentage engaged in same-sex relationships?

The better question is how many players created bothgenders hero.
99% of prepatch players? :evilgrin:

I suppose these types of stats are a way for DA:I's publicists to keep themselves in the news. What I'm curious to know is what percentage of the players are actually female? But that we may never know.

Yeah - I'm wondering if the PC has more female inquisitors because there are more women playing on PC. Or maybe we're just older and older guys are more willing to swap genders? Damnit, there's some SCIENCE to do here!

To the Forbes guy... if you're going to deny it GOTY, maybe finish the damn game? For most people, 40 hours didn't even get them into the main quest line yet. And you usually like the characters but you avoided them? Characters always start out crappy, you gotta talk to them to get interesting and actually play the game. 40 hours... What a joke

While I say it can't be GOTY since there were better games last year, I'm with Caddy 100% on this matter.

First finish the bloody game (assuming there wasn't some gamestopper bug that prevented that, and for all I know, in DA3 such bug doesn't exist) then make an article.

And now someone will come and tell me I should finish Dungeon Keeper phonegame before yelling it's the worst game in 2014. if not in last 5 years.
Well, that game wasn't crowned as GOTY anywhere, nor was even nominated, so…

I'll play the devil's advocate here. :)

40 hours is plenty of time to get the feel of a game. I could write a review of a game after 10 hours. If 40 hours is filled with filler, fluff, and general boring design, then why should you continue after that? 40 hours is a TON of time, even if some of us have played games for hundreds of hours.

I just don't think a game is going to get better after 40 hours if it's garbage in the beginning. And please note, I'm not saying DA:I is garbage. I haven't played it. But I think it's okay to say, "This game is not for me", after 40 hours of gameplay.

I'll play the devil's advocate here. :)

40 hours is plenty of time to get the feel of a game. I could write a review of a game after 10 hours. If 40 hours is filled with filler, fluff, and general boring design, then why should you continue after that? 40 hours is a TON of time, even if some of us have played games for hundreds of hours.

I just don't think a game is going to get better after 40 hours if it's garbage in the beginning. And please note, I'm not saying DA:I is garbage. I haven't played it. But I think it's okay to say, "This game is not for me", after 40 hours of gameplay.

And this is what I'm talking about. DA:I is sort of unique because its almost like 2 games. The whole game changes dramatically after many hours in. So no you can't say this at all.

If 40 hours is filler, that doesn't mean another 40 hours is also filler.

The best example for such game is Anachronox. It starts very slow, as an average material, but (don't kill me because I cannot be precise) after 20 hours of slo-mo "why am I still playing this?" it becomes a spectacular experience. But it's actually that slow start that benefits the game, feels later like you got a superb reward.

I've yet to play Anachronox. Pity. Too many games and just not enough hours in the day!

Lots of games don't even give 40 hours gameplay. Requiring anyone to play that much before their opinion on whether the game is to their liking or not becomes valid is too much.

And I absolutely disagree with the DK mobile hate. I spent NO money on it but was able to rank up well enough. I also found it to be the most strategic of its kind of game (and I've played Clash of Clans and clones). And that's coming from a BIG fan of the original DK game. I went 3 days barely eating and sleeping (and certainly no bathing) just to play it on a friend's PC which I rented for way too much of my meager allowance. I just took it to be a DK-themed game and I was more than fine with it.

And this is what I'm talking about. DA:I is sort of unique because its almost like 2 games. The whole game changes dramatically after many hours in. So no you can't say this at all.

You're obviously quite fan-struck by the game. Are you able to recognise any of the drawbacks the game has that might prompt someone to not consider it GOTY material? Even on the dedicated RPG sites like this one it struggles to figure in the outstanding category, let alone the wider gaming world with it's FPS, GTA and sport focused tastes.

Yeah - I'm wondering if the PC has more female inquisitors because there are more women playing on PC. Or maybe we're just older and older guys are more willing to swap genders? Damnit, there's some SCIENCE to do here!
One of the snippets I heard was that there's even a percentage of women who played male characters so they could romance Dorian.

Last edited:
If a game bores you for 40 hours, it isn't good, even if it becomes super awesome later on. I know other methods of getting bored for 40 hours a week.

Just to say…

Based on previous things with EA, I expect next PC patch appearing on Origin tomorrow at 8 PM CET. Bioware says "soon" because there is always a chance something will happen like ddos, serverfart or other stuff that'd delay the patch for a couple of days.

Because of console policies, console patches probably won't happen at the same time, but a day or two after PC patch.

No ETA on norespawn mod thus the game will remain DA:Bears even after the patch.

By this reasoning, Lionheart should have won GOTY. The first half was awesome afterall.
Not really. It's the same in both cases: If half of the game is boring, the other half cannot bring it past "okay".

You're obviously quite fan-struck by the game. Are you able to recognise any of the drawbacks the game has that might prompt someone to not consider it GOTY material? Even on the dedicated RPG sites like this one it struggles to figure in the outstanding category, let alone the wider gaming world with it's FPS, GTA and sport focused tastes.

No, not once anywhere in this thread did I sing its praises or even say it was good. We're not talking about a review. This is a GOTY discussion.

Are you going to refrain from nominating a movie for an Oscar when you've only watched half the movie? Yes games are different than movies, and using a book would probably be a better comparison, but the principal is the same. If you're going to deny it GOTY, nothing wrong with that… as long as you finish the game.

No, not once anywhere in this thread did I sing its praises or even say it was good. We're not talking about a review. This is a GOTY discussion.

Are you going to refrain from nominating a movie for an Oscar when you've only watched half the movie? Yes games are different than movies, and using a book would probably be a better comparison, but the principal is the same. If you're going to deny it GOTY, nothing wrong with that… as long as you finish the game.

Yes, I'm also taking about GOTY, not a review, hence why I used the phrase "GOTY material" in my post...

It's funny that you made the Oscar comparison as just recently I watched a movie that had actually won oscars, but I couldn't make it past the first half an hour. I'd be quite happy to give it a review and state why I wasn't able to watch it, and, no, I wouldn't have voted for it precisely because it failed to retain my attention. Attention retention is very important really isn't it? As long as the case against states openly that attention retention is it's biggest problem then that is valid is it not?

As others have said, you're not voting on bits of games but GOTY is about the whole package is it not? If you say "it gets better after 40 hours" aren't you admitting that the first 40 hours is under par... I don't get why you can't see that.

Back
Top Bottom