Underworld Ascendant - Update #11 & #12

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OtherSide Entertainment released two more updates this week for Underworld Ascendant, and the first update has more announcements about the game.

We’re having a great weekend so far, pushing past the 8,000 backer goal for the week. As of noon Sunday there are 8,078 of you strong! That’s a small army… growing into a larger army. This also means everybody who backs this Kickstarter will receive gratis the exclusive ‘Little Friends’ digital reward, which our dwarven smiths are busily crafting.
The latest update is about naming a new monster.

d5e54261f699ec546ece3addf61be512_large.jpg

This massive, semi-translucent ooze feeds by cramming it gelatinous bulk into tight dungeon passageways, absorbing detritus and any creature unwary enough to get in its way. We’ve been using the placeholder name “Tunnel Trapper” for this oddball beast, but we know you can come up with something better! Go to our forums HERE to submit a more suitable name. Then in a week's time we’ll select the one that we feels fits best.
Also as a reminder the game has only made $457,661 of the $600,000 goal.

More information.

I'm surprised this game is not funded yet. At least this has a better chance then Deathfire. I still wish Guido Henkel RPG game was funded last year.:cries:

Perhaps tis only I, but I see a strange resemblance there to a certain newsposter!! Perhaps we should suggest the name COUCHPOTATO!! :) :D

Perhaps tis only I, but I see a strange resemblance there to a certain newsposter!! Perhaps we should suggest the name COUCHPOTATO!! :) :D
No it's my long lost relative the slug potato, or it's me on the weekends.:biggrin:

I would have thought they'd done much better by now.

Pretty sad that they might not even make it :(

At $460k with 17 days left, I'm quite positive it'll make it. There's almost always a strong late push in the final week. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits $700k by the end.

I like the new monster. :)

This massive, semi-translucent ooze feeds by cramming it gelatinous bulk into tight dungeon passageways, absorbing detritus and any creature unwary enough to get in its way.

Either these guys are big Gary Gygax fans, or they've never played D&D and this is just a coincidence. I'm going with the former.

Yeah, I vote to call it "Gelatinous Cube".

I also think they will make it. Jagged alliance was at about 40% at this point. The Mandate was at about 50% Both funded, and The Mandate even made some stretch goals. I think they'll end up at about 850k.

'Giant Glow Slug'...

Well I'm not all that surprised that it isn't funded yet. It seems like they don't have a lot to show at this point, and people seem more cautious over KS now. Not that I wouldn't like to see this succeed.

interesting, huge fan of the original and i still listen to the soundtrack. with that said, no kickstarter funds from me, i'll pay more when it actually releases.

That monster is pretty darn good!
Yeah I reckon they'll make it. Fingers crossed...

Can they really make a game of Underworld's lenght with modern day graphics, assets and voice acting for 600K, including pay for a dozen middle-aged developers + voice actors and other contractors? Something stinks about this, it doesn't add up at all. They aren't college kids who will work for almost no pay.

They have got to have outside funding of some sort, and even then it would be close because this is a mid-sized game, kind of like Torchlight which I think cost nearly 2 million dollars to make.

Can they really make a game of Underworld's lenght with modern day graphics, assets and voice acting for 600K, including pay for a dozen middle-aged developers + voice actors and other contractors? Something stinks about this, it doesn't add up at all. They aren't college kids who will work for almost no pay.

They have got to have outside funding of some sort, and even then it would be close because this is a mid-sized game, kind of like Torchlight which I think cost nearly 2 million dollars to make.

They do have outside funding. Has been confirmed by developers but can't remember where I read it. Probably on the kickstarter comments page.

Perhaps it isn't funded because the design is vague. I didn't play a single RPG until Baldur's Gate came out and I'm sure I'm not alone. I just didn't have the hardware back in the day. So knowing nothing about the old Ultima's or the original Ascendant, I don't even know if this is single vs. multi character? Is this one of those 1st person party games like Grimrock? Some of the Ultima's are like that aren't they?

So if I'm asking these basic questions you can bet there are lots of potential backers that are clueless as well.

In context of the player perspective it's 1st person, where you're only underground, but the environment isn't based on flat square tiles (like Grimrock), but seamless 3D.

And afaik there are 2 types of Ultima games. The ones that are named "Ultima n", where n stands for a Roman number. The kickstarted game Shroud of the Avatar claims to be its modern spiritual successor.
The other type are the "Ultima Underworld" games where there are two of them. Ultima Ascendant wants to be the spiritual successor here.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom