So disappointed I could cry

It is unfortunate that they announced it before the game was released but as long as we don't buy it I don't see a problem. There is a lot of things that we can't really change as a consumer but the answer to Season Passes is pretty simple: don't buy them and wait for the release of the game first. They even said so in their statement as danutz_plusplus pointed out.

Well I'm buying 2 and sending Joxer one.:biggrin:

Good thing I came here to get corrected ... here I was being excited about a massive game followed by two huge, traditional expansions keeping the game going for the next two years! Glad I got my thinking fixed so I can go publicly castigate CDPR for their evils of ... um, ok, now what was it we were mad at them for again?

Well not all of of us hate this announcement. Matter of fact I love this news as I get to play thirty more hours of game content a few months after the game is released.

We also get sixteen free small DLCs which is a bonus. The best part is most other publishers/developers would make gamers pay for every DLC they released.

They really shouldn't be calling this a pass, because it is only covering two expansions. I would feel better about this if they were offering a real expansion pass, one flat price, and you would get all the expansions released for the game. That would be a good concept, just like the season pass you can buy for tv shows on apple tv or amazon.

That said, at least they are doing old school expansions, like the ones we used to get that were lengthy and major in scope, so kind of mixed feelings here.

One of these years I might actually play W2 which I pre-ordered and downloaded but never found time to install.
You didn't miss THAT much. I would put Pillars, Divinity, and {checks to see if Joxer has left} Skyrim ahead of it for sure.
Oh for the good old days when only one decent game came out each year!! :)
Nnnnooooooooooo!!!!!!! Saying that in April is even worse - that's when the Great Darkness would spread over the video game store shelves until at least October. <shudder>

I didn't leave.

And all those games mentioned, TW2, PoE, D:OS and Skyrim, no matter how one feels about them, at least didn't have season pass scam. There were DLC, but those were called DLC and not some shady phrases.
We do know Eternity will have an expansion but is not marketing it anywhere as season pass avoidware but as an expansion.

I didn't leave.

And all those games mentioned, TW2, PoE, D:OS and Skyrim, no matter how one feels about them, at least didn't have season pass scam.
We do know Eternity will have an expansion but is not marketing it anywhere as season pass avoidware.

I think the problem is that what is 'avoidware' for you/us is 'clickbait' for many, many others ... those 'season pass' things are a rip-off from TV / sports, where they derive a certain context. Apply them in this instance and you have US who know we're getting two great expansions for 30+ hours of gaming (or 6 Call of Duty equivalents), and the season pass candy for the others ...

No. The problem is the "pass" word.
They could advertise it as expansion preorder and then I wouldn't say or feel a thing.

CoD is MP so I don't think it's a good comparision. How about saying gameplay time equivalent to three Wolfensteins and three times less hard drive space needed? :evilgrin:

Well I can remember back in the 80's myself and my buddies would get so excited if we read in a magazine. Yes we couldn't just look it up on the internet. If there was an expansion coming out for a game.

I think Joxer and I don't mean to speak for you, that you are getting hung up on DCL or season pass.

DLC to me is my children buying the crap out of me until I reload the Sony store so they can by a gun or mask etc that isn't in the game. That is the crap I hate and think is a huge scam.

30 plus hours expansion game for 20 dollars is EXCITING news to me if done right and why wouldn't it be by them. I can't see how it would be a fast grab cash grab by them. They have looked after their customers and fans better then any other gaming company that I have every known.

For that matter, they say about 30 hours of game play for an expansion(I know two different ones bundled) that is more game then you get from some companies for 69.99.

Anyways who am I to say or tell you what to think of this news.

I am excited by it.

Was back to playing PoE and was thinking of this thread tittle. I would change it to "So excited I could cry"

Well not all of of us hate this announcement. Matter of fact I love this news as I get to play thirty more hours of game content a few months after the game is released.

We also get sixteen free small DLCs which is a bonus. The best part is most other publishers/developers would make gamers pay for every DLC they released.

I would say most of us don't hate this.:)

I would say most of us don't hate this.
Thanks for the reply but I was responding to txa1265 reply about the site.;)

So in-case you missed it here you go.
Good thing I came here to get corrected … here I was being excited about a massive game followed by two huge, traditional expansions keeping the game going for the next two years! Glad I got my thinking fixed so I can go publicly castigate CDPR for their evils of … um, ok, now what was it we were mad at them for again?

Yeah, while I'm not a big fan of W3, I'm fine with DLC. I loved Dragonborn and thought Dawnguard was pretty good too. Loved the Missing Link addon for Deus Ex and Mask of the Betrayer was considered awesome DLC for NWN2, though I prefered Storms of Zehir. I've had DLC and expansions on my pcs for decades.

Expansions are cool. It's irrelevant whether they name it a season pass or something else. The content is what is important.

I don't really care what they call it; my problem lies in them actively marketing it more than a month before the base game is even launched.

And, frankly, that Hearts of Stone DLC also looks pretty darn shallow as well.

So, I'll probably wait till Christmas; I have no shortage of other games to play: Wasteland 2 goty, Avernum 2, PoE, Metro 2033, countless others. With CDPR's XBOX shift, I really doubt they'll be in dire straits whether or not us crpg malcontents buy it day one.

Ah right I guess with the delayed launch everyone who isn't polishing the main game had a lot more time on their hands than maybe originally expected. In that sort of situation you either move people to another project, lay them off, or have them start working on expansion content.

Yeah, while I'm not a big fan of W3, I'm fine with DLC. I loved Dragonborn and thought Dawnguard was pretty good too. Loved the Missing Link addon for Deus Ex and Mask of the Betrayer was considered awesome DLC for NWN2, though I prefered Storms of Zehir. I've had DLC and expansions on my pcs for decades.

Wait, you preferred storms of zehir over mask of the betrayer? You're a pod person aren't you…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

:biggrin:

Last edited:
I preferred SOZ as well. It was more of an explorer's game, whereas MotB was your typical doom and gloom Chris Avellone project.

I agree it's frustrating that this happens, as I don't want to know that the game will significantly expand a few months after release. That's like telling me I won't be getting the full experience if I play it now, but it won't be long before a lot of new stuff is ready to be integrated. So, I can just add 3-6 months and pretend it won't be released until that time is up.

Well, that, or I could just make my skip-it "choice" that I'm sure Sakichop thinks is consumer power - and probably miss out on great content in a game I'm not unlikely to fall in love with. Yeah, that's a wonderful business model - and a proper meaty expansion 1-2 years later was much worse, Saki :)

I also find it very strange that they can put numbers on the amount of hours you'll be playing content they've yet to develop, according to that marketing piece.

It's pretty counterproductive, I think - and people will eventually learn from it - and many will wait until everything is out before buying - likely on a sale.

It's pure opportunism - which is almost always about the shorter term.

Developers are likely not to blame, but then again - they rarely are. This has the smell of suits all over it, no doubt about it.

Experience has demonstrated that this model works well for added profit - and consumers are, as always, painfuly slow in the uptake, so it takes years to learn how to respond to the new ways of being exploited. By the time they're ready to postpone their purchase - suits will have ten new ways lined up. They'll also have the marketing speeches ready, just like they did with the DLC model: "Now it's a service, and you can simply choose if you want more content of whatever size."

People are stupid enough to fall for it, and they will be more than ready for the illusion of choice again.

That said, at least it sounds like this TW3 content is worth the investment, unlike the vast majority of added content these days, which is about exploiting the impulse-driven consumer.

Personally, I don't really care if you call it DLC or expansions - as the latter has lost all meaning since the former became the norm.

I preferred SOZ as well. It was more of an explorer's game, whereas MotB was your typical doom and gloom Chris Avellone project.

Agreed. I found MotB very typical Torment stuff, with pointlessly long paragraphs of deliberately opaque writing. I also despised the Soul Eater mechanic with every fiber of my being.

I couldn't care less if tit is called *pass or pre-order. If their announcement is correct (which I have no reason to doubt as they've always been honest) we get 30 hours of content for 25 €. That's ok.

As I've already said in the news thread for me it's important if these expansions can be played after the main game, both technically and logically (considering the plot). Does anyone know more here?
If that's not the case I most likely won't buy the expansions on release but in ~2 years when I'll perhaps replay the main game.
Waiting until Q1 2016 with the first TW3 playthrough seems to be a too tough decision for me…

Back
Top Bottom