Peter Molyneux games

To my tastes, I thought Magic Carpet was far and away his best game (I'd like to see an update of this one). I never understood Black and White. Fable was ok, as was Dungeon Keeper. But Magic Carpet was a great game, IMO.

Just got DK1 running really nice in d3d acceleration mode, played thru the first couple missions. 'Twas a little trickier than simply going compatibility mode tho. That got the game running, but the mouse really was slow, it was unplayable. So, I had to go get the latest version of the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit and do the instructions posted by this good fellow. This is a good thing to know.

Runs great now, sounds great, and looks good (for it's era of course).

Had to use the WAC Toolkit to run Might & Magic8 in XP--which is strange, since MM6 ran just fine without any adjustments.
It was an exercise in futility, tho, since tweaking the system was more fun than the actual game --blechh.:puke:

Edit: ON topic, Black & White is on my list of "Ten Biggest Disappointments"--the threads around someplace. There's a limit to how long listening to cutesey sea-shanties from the peasants can keep you interested in building a god-like cow.

Last edited:
Peter molyneux is the kind of guy who could sell freezers to eskimos and sand to arabs. I consider myself to be hardcore hypeproof gamer, yet I belived his stories about fable like a kid belives santa claus :). No hard feelings, the game was fun and i liked it, but it was much different than he said :) I hope fable 2 is more close to what he wanted...

regarding his other games.. syndicate is a classic, and i hope peter would make an other syndicate game in the future! And speaking of dungeon keeper 2, it was pure fun. In fact I'm probably going to instal it and replay it this summer just because of this thread.

I've never played black and white... All the reviews praised it, but later on many gamers stated it was overhyped game which would bore you rather quickly... so i never picked it.

Keeper 4 life!

I almost want to reinstall Black and White and see if purrhaps I misjudged or something, and i never played B&W II.

I just remember the dreadful"eiii didlee eii eii diddlee eii" thing...

I've played and loved Fable and oddly Populous which stands to this very day as the only RTS I haven't utterly loathed. I never could get into Black and White, I've never played the DK games, mainly because I shy from RTS titles these days. The others -- Overlord, Magic Carpet and so on I've haven't heard of before this thread.

I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
I saw the ad for Populous on the back of the DK manual, and I'm really curious about it now, since I keep reading it referred to favorably by like anyone who speaks of it. It's just one of those games that I never really even thought about. I gotta see if I can get my paws on a copy, it's one that i just need to at least try

Populous was a fun game. Don't know how well it will hold up given its age, but a fun game nonetheless. At its heart, it plays a lot like Majesty (or rather the other way around since Populous came first) where it's all about goading your units into doing what you want. I don't know that it ever got frantic, but some of the scenerios required pretty sound strategy.

I saw the ad for Populous on the back of the DK manual, and I'm really curious about it now, since I keep reading it referred to favorably by like anyone who speaks of it. It's just one of those games that I never really even thought about. I gotta see if I can get my paws on a copy, it's one that i just need to at least try

From one movie fan to the other, it´s as if you hadn´t seen Leone´s Dollar Trilogy. Populous 3 is to Populous what The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is to A Fistful of Dollars. The last one was more colourful, more polished, more expensive - but imagine what a blast A Fistful of Dollars must have been in the early 60s, when the audience was used to James Stewart or John Wayne as good guys and suddenly got Eastwood, who was as mean as the world around him. :biggrin:
(No distracting details about Kurosawa please. ;) )

Populous wasn´t raw and dirty, it was a new genre: the god game.

Play Populous 3. It´s of course not as ... pure ... as #1, but it´s a good to very good game and a good transition of the concept to 3D. I doubt the older games are still fun, due to the ugly graphics.

The first one was more a map generator. That´s no joke, the devs actually generated a gazillion maps and threw the 90% rubbish away. Not only the game idea was ahead of its time. ;)

Last edited:
what do you call DK and black or white?
Dungeon Keeper, together with the "Theme" and "Tycoon" titles, belongs to a genre, which used to be labelled simulation/management. DK followed what was then a very established template for Bullfrog; I'm surprised it wasn't called "Theme Dungeon".

Back
Top Bottom