Risen - European Release Details

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Deep Silver brand manager Daniel Oberlerchner revealed in a thread at World of Risen that most European countries will receive a multilingual Risen. The following versions will be released:

• PC: English voices & subtitles
    Exclusively in the UK! Reason: The ongoing price war. Deep Silver wants UK versions to stay in the UK.
  • PC: English, French, German voices & subtitles, Italian, Spanish subtitles
    All other Euro markets within Koch Media's distribution or publishing reach. Confirmed are: DACH, Benelux, Scandinavia, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Hungary and "etc.".
  • PC: Eastern Europe
    Cenega and Noviy Disk will make their own decisions for Poland, CIS and RUS. There is enough space on the disk for multiple languages.
  • XBox360
    Per MS requirement every European XBox360 game has to have EFIGS loca. So does Risen. I suppose Italian and Spanish will still be subtitle only.
More information.

I don't understand that statement at all. First they say "English voices and subtitles, exclusively in the UK", then they say that "English, French, German voices & subtitles" will be available in most Euro markets? That statement *includes* the previous statement of English voices/subtitles? What's exclusive about the UK version? Can't be the English voices/subtitles, since that's also mentioned in the next paragraph.

Many gamers will want "cross border" availability - eg: a fluent English speaking Italian living in Italy might want the English uk version with Full English voices and subtitles. In this case he might try to buy from English retailer.....if allowed.

I don't understand that statement at all. First they say "English voices and subtitles, exclusively in the UK", then they say that "English, French, German voices & subtitles" will be available in most Euro markets? That statement *includes* the previous statement of English voices/subtitles? What's exclusive about the UK version? Can't be the English voices/subtitles, since that's also mentioned in the next paragraph.
It's not a statement, it's a summary. I did not quote him.

What's exclusive in the UK version? The absence of all the rest. The UK only gets the absolute minimum. This way a foreigner buying a UK version will not find his own subtitles on the disk. Koch Media wants to discourage as many people from other countries as possible from buying from the UK.

Mainland Europe gets 3 full sets of voics overs plus even more subtitles. Again, to make sure they rather spend 50€ in a local shop than 30€ in the UK.

Last edited:
What's the ongoing price war about ? And how is keeping it in the UK going to help ?
Shops from british tax paradises like Jersey, etc. are selling games for cheap and without VAT to most European markets, including the UK. Other UK shops have to counter to stay competitive. This creates enormous downward pressure on the prices. Increasingly more people - and even specialized shops! - from mainland Europe get their games from this source.

It's not a statement, it's a summary. I did not quote him.

What's exclusive in the UK version? The absence of all the rest. The UK only gets the absolute minimum. This way a foreigner buying a UK version will not find his own subtitles on the disk. Koch Media wants to discourage as many people from other countries as possible from buying from the UK.

Mainland Europe gets 3 full sets of voics overs plus even more subtitles. Again, to make sure they rather spend 50€ in a local shop than 30€ in the UK.

Well i only play games in english and i guess many more europian people do. If i can find an english retailer that is alot cheaper then a dutch retailer il buy it from an UK retailer.

Well i only play games in english and i guess many more europian people do. If i can find an english retailer that is alot cheaper then a dutch retailer il buy it from an UK retailer.

With full english voice-cover I can stand polish subtitles and menus so it's not a big deal for me (though I'd like to see english subtitles option in polish version).

Anyway every game should be released as The Witcher Enchanced Edition - you choose what voices and subs you want :)

Sure, but people from other countries might need localized subtitles - which they won't find on the UK DVD. This kind of arbitrage costs Koch Media ca. 10€ per unit. Of course they try to fight against it.

With full english voice-cover I can stand polish subtitles and menus so it's not a big deal for me (though I'd like to see english subtitles option in polish version).

It's not clear what will be on the Polish DVD.

I've edited the newsbit to make a couple of things clearer.

Sure, but people from other countries might need localized subtitles - which they won't find on the UK DVD. This kind of arbitrage costs Koch Media ca. 10€ per unit. Of course they try to fight against it.

Is it that much cheaper in the UK? Or am I missing something else?

Not everywhere, but a couple of online shops are extremely aggressive. Just look at Play.com for example. Prices include shipping, but you probably have to add VAT because Jersey is outside the EEA, so it's formally an import.

Actually, there's no VAT added when ordering from play.com. The reason is that if the VAT totals less than a certain sum (a few tens of euros IIRC), it's not collected. That's why I usually order from there.

I had no idea I'm making publishers (and, by extension, developers) suffer by doing so, though. How does this work? How does play.com manage to squeeze the publishers? Don't the publishers get to set their own prices when selling to retailers?

So does this mean that the German CE is going to include the game in English (multilingual)?

Of course.
German CE = multilingual version plus some stuff around it.

Note that the manual is probably only in German though.

• PC: English voices & subtitles
    Exclusively in the UK! Reason: The ongoing price war. Deep Silver wants UK versions to stay in the UK.
  • PC: English, French, German voices & subtitles, Italian, Spanish subtitles
    All other Euro markets within Koch Media's distribution or publishing reach. Confirmed are: DACH, Benelux, Scandinavia, France, Spain, Italy, Portugal, Greece, Hungary and "etc.".
More information.

First, don't take this harshly. I enjoy the site and the newsbits, I'm just offering an observation. No worries if you take it or leave it. But this bit really confused me. I had to read this about four times before I finally parsed what you meant. I get it now, and I think you your grammar is accurate, however it is a confusing choice of words. Typically "exclusive" is used to imply a positive, what you are describing is more of a negative. The version for the UK only has English, and they intend for only that version to be available there. The more complete version, available everywhere else, is not for the UK. Kind of like describing amputation as "loosing weight".

Actually, there's no VAT added when ordering from play.com. The reason is that if the VAT totals less than a certain sum (a few tens of euros IIRC), it's not collected. That's why I usually order from there.
I suppose every country had different minimum amounts which is VAT and customs free. In Germany sums below 5€ won't be collected.

I had no idea I'm making publishers (and, by extension, developers) suffer by doing so, though. How does this work? How does play.com manage to squeeze the publishers? Don't the publishers get to set their own prices when selling to retailers?
Of course they try. Supply and demand. These shops order in large volume. 50.000 units more or less per shop per year makes a difference for a small or medium publisher.

Back
Top Bottom