Torment: Tides of Numenera - Starting to Kick

Wasn't interested initially but the pitch video showed correct focus and a potentially great foundations to create a game as a game in the spirit of PS:T. What's with the 900k goals though? Why has it been specifically 900k rather than 1m?

Now, if they called it an "action-RPG," THEN I'd be a bit more hesitant. I like many action RPGs, too, but that's a style and emphasis that I feel is detrimental to the theme.

Quoted for truth right there. If it's very true to Planescape Torment, I'll spend most of my time trying to get through the game without any fights.

That said there is very little detail about the game and game mechanics themselves, just a lot of lore, and possible play styles that might be allowed.

Though I'm starting to wonder if that's part of how Fargo markets the pitch. Like you have said before here, and on your twitter, people are more willing to fund pitches, than products they can actually see.

...aaand done. :)

Stretch goals?

And yeah, despite my initial hesitancy, I'm backing. The fixed the box issue, and were upfront about why they are making a second game. Honesty goes a long way with me.

Wasn't interested initially but the pitch video showed correct focus and a potentially great foundations to create a game as a game in the spirit of PS:T. What's with the 900k goals though? Why has it been specifically 900k rather than 1m?

It's marketing - this Kickstarter has learned a lot from past campaigns, I wish that other (good) software projects would take a leaf out of Brain Fargo's book, but they often blunder in some way.

Not really interested in so called "spiritual successors". That label is just meaningless wankery to me, since they are never even half as good as the original. But we'll see…

never is a very long time. Also, it's the original band making all the right sounds, right?

Despite my reservations I just splurged over $100. The pitch was excellent, the team sounds solid, and the artwork nice. Like I said, I am probably letting BS overwhelm common sense. ;)

I'm… not going to fund this one until I hear more. PsT wasn't really my thing, and, although I'm intrigued by some aspects of it, I'm not yet sold. But good luck with it. :)

Despite my reservations I just splurged over $100. The pitch was excellent, the team sounds solid, and the artwork nice. Like I said, I am probably letting BS overwhelm common sense. ;)

And I am getting an excellent $95 worth of good feelings and awesome BS. :)

If you're not from the US you probably won't get this, but I'll throw it up anyhow:

npr_tote.jpg

I think a million dollars is a psychological barrier for many would-be backers (as in, after $1 million, they say, "Now you are just being greedy!"). With Wasteland 2, Fargo decided it would take over $1 million, but was willing to pitch in $100k personally to back the deal. So he went for $900K as a bare-minimum.

I think they've probably set their sites higher for Torment, but plan to re-use some technology from WL2, and use profits from WL2 to provide additional funding if necessary. With digital distribution and no publisher, they start making a profit from their very first sale.

900k in 6 hours!!!!!Interestingly PS:T was financial failure it barely broken even(IIRC it sold only around 80k copies in year it came out but it was long time ago so someone correct me if I am wrong),and now it's on top 5 selling games on GoG and it's spiritual successor is breaking records on kickstarter on concept alone.It's nice this masterpiece is getting recognition it deserves.

They are making these games on Unity. It's such a kick arse platform for making games and I reckon should reduce the cost and time to market.

Holy cow, that was fast. I didn't even get around to pledging yet!

Past 1mil day one.

So far going (much?) better than Eternity. Can't help but think that the most credit should go to Fargo and co's expertise on Kickstarter timing etc rather then the pitch itself.

On twitter, KS said that the Ouya crossed $1m in 8h 22m. This was in less than 7.

Back
Top Bottom