The TV Series discussion thread

I watched the first season of Ray Donovan. Enjoyed it a lot. There's a lot of over-acting around the stoic Liev Schreiber, but it suits the material. Jon Voight totally owns the show as gangster dad who pretends to be a family guy.

Watched several new shows this week; Scorpion, Forever, How to get away with Murder. What are the thoughts of others about this year's new offerings?

I watched Scorpion, it felt too contrived for me, and I watch so much that it's not likely to make the cut. Returning shows like Shield and Good Wife have gotten off to a great start, Person of Interest was good as well.

Suits is still going strong. I also started downton Abbey per suggestion here. I like it so far, it is very relaxing and a good counterbalance against suits, with its rapid flashy pace. The difference couldn't be any larger.

In fact I find many shows these days a tad too hectic. Never a quiet moment and too many camera switches.

I watched the first season of Ray Donovan. Enjoyed it a lot. There's a lot of over-acting around the stoic Liev Schreiber, but it suits the material. Jon Voight totally owns the show as gangster dad who pretends to be a family guy.

I am looking forward to this making its way to Netflix. Showtime (isn't that the network its on) seems to be more forgiving on allowing their shows to stream, unlike HBO.

edit: Damn it except in this case. Currently only on DVD. Stupid netflix & Showtime.

Watched several new shows this week; Scorpion, Forever, How to get away with Murder. What are the thoughts of others about this year's new offerings?

I need my exotic stuff fix desperately, which means an australian show would do the trick. But a good one, not family oriented soap opera clone. Any hints?
I'm growing gray hair too fast with giving a chance to a show based on the title just to ditch it after the very first episode.

I've gotten hooked on really mellow, mild, relaxing British shows. A couple months ago, I watched Downton Abbey, and then watched it again. Now I'm watching Foyle's War on Netflix. It's not even that it's gripping or anything...it's just good. And relaxing. I've come to appreciate TV that I can really chill out with.

I've gotten hooked on really mellow, mild, relaxing British shows. A couple months ago, I watched Downton Abbey, and then watched it again. Now I'm watching Foyle's War on Netflix. It's not even that it's gripping or anything…it's just good. And relaxing. I've come to appreciate TV that I can really chill out with.
Babylon 5 did that for me. :mellow:

OK, it's not British, but if you want to broaden your horizon a bit … it's about a bunch of blokes on a starship who sometimes have a good cuppa tea.

Babylon 5 is fantastic. Period. I am in the last season of DS9 and it is just average in comparison

Knights of Sidonia is growing on me. Some weird Japanese stuff sure, but it holds my attention for now

Twin peaks will return with new episodes. Do i need to say more? :)

The groundbreaking television phenomenon, Golden Globe® and Peabody Award-winner TWIN PEAKS will return as a new limited series on SHOWTIME in 2016. Series creators and executive producers David Lynch and Mark Frost will write and produce all nine episodes of the limited series, and Lynch will direct every episode. Set in the present day, TWIN PEAKS will continue the lore of the original series, providing long-awaited answers and a satisfying conclusion for the series’ passionate fan base.

And here is the announcement teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNHsA4WIFvc

The second season of Twin Peaks was ... not good. I have been rewatching with my kids as I own the series on Amazon Video. First season remains unreal good, but ...

Hmmm … just started to watch 'Almost Human' and wondered …

Attachments

• biomx.jpg
    biomx.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 76
We haven't watched too much new, but spent some Hulu time last night with wine catching up on returning shows:
- Supernatural - meh, snooze
- Modern Family - consistently reasonably funny and mildly awkward
- Castle - we like the show, and knew they had to ditch the cliffhanger thing, and it was MUCH better than last year's 'Beckett goes to DC, oops guess not' thing. The show is fluff anyway, so it is all good.

Sadly Almost Human got killed before it's time.
Yes, it's Fox again with their cancelling anything promising.

You can get your "robots" fix with Total Recall 2070, very good although old show. Also killed too soon after just one season. :(

For those into exotic stuff like I am, can't praise more this show:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2180271/
It's absolutely brilliant. Not made to please producers but the audience.

Oh, I love Real Humans. I also loved Total Recall 2070 :). Didn't know anybody else watched it. I even loved Beyond Westworld in all its 3-episodes glory :harl:. Okay, five episodes, but two of them never aired.

By the way, a new Westworld TV series has been announced for- was it next year? The pilot will finish filming in a few weeks IIRC.

- Castle - we like the show, and knew they had to ditch the cliffhanger thing, and it was MUCH better than last year's 'Beckett goes to DC, oops guess not' thing. The show is fluff anyway, so it is all good.

Castle continues to go downhill for me ;( The plotlines are becoming more and more far-fetched and conveniently wrapped up. I was truly surprised it got strung along for yet another season when it could have ended on a semi-reasonable series finale last year. Oh well.

I need to check out Foyle's War; Craig Ferguson was raving about it some time ago.

Utopia won't return with the third season, says Channel 4.
I actually didn't think that there will be season 2 because the first season functions as miniseries and doesn't need a sequel material at all (although there is a open end, but it definetly doesn't need a closure).

What's odd? Odd is that this news about not continuing some series appeared on gaming site. Kotaku:
http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-best-show-on-television-just-got-canceled-1644975038/+kirkhamilton

Words from the author:
I am not exaggerating when I say that it was the best show currently running on television.
If you remember, I said Utopia is the most important show of the decade, so basically I agree with the article author. I don't however agree that the show should continue at all costs. It's not Fox type of cancelling superb series in the mid episode leaving everything unanswered.

Again I have to say, do not wait for the silly Hollywood remake. Watch the original show.

I'm halfway season 2 now. It's good but not as good as your hyped opinion ;)

Knights of Sidonia has been my guilty pleasure lately. I like it a lot, just finished season 1. I hope season 2 is on its way

Back
Top Bottom