X - Rebirth

I would say X3:TC. Essentially, they are all the same game. Egosoft has been working on it for many years now, adding more features and fixing more bugs. Every few years the put a bunch of new features together with new plots and release it as the next version. (This whole 'rebirth' thing is them actually dumping the original game completely and starting fresh.) So I would say X3:TC simply because it's the most advanced version of the game.

Stay away from the Terran start. Terran space is neat but they've got all those super-huge stations with super-huge docking lanes so it takes forever to park. It's much more enjoyable in there after you've bought a Paranid docking computer.

Thanks for the hints. Cool then.
I'll wait for another sale at GG and pick it up, then. :)

I really do like sci-fi and space sims, but like several have mentioned - I need a decent story in addition to all the travelling, trading and so on. My personal top three:
1. Freelancer
2. Starlancer
3. Darkstar One

A pretty clear indication on what I like. Unfortunately, the X series is simply not for me. I can always hope that Rebirth adds a little "Freelancer" to the series, but I strongly doubt that - the recipe has remained the same since the beginning of the series.

I really do like sci-fi and space sims, but like several have mentioned - I need a decent story in addition to all the travelling, trading and so on. My personal top three:
1. Freelancer
2. Starlancer
3. Darkstar One

I really need to try Freelancer again. I've had it for several years, and tried to get into it awhile back, but the controls felt arcadish and overly simplistic to me.

Starlancer was just a series of linear combat missions, right?

I really need to try Freelancer again. I've had it for several years, and tried to get into it awhile back, but the controls felt arcadish and overly simplistic to me.

Starlancer was just a series of linear combat missions, right?

Yes it was, but the story was fairly interesting, probably the best I've seen in a space sim. The biggest drawback was the AI of your allies being just plain horrible - you practically fought solo despite flying out in a squad.

Starlancer is the ideal coop space game :)

Had no idea coop was possible. Is it possible to play through the campaign in coop mode?

Starlancer is the worst space sim ever released , i almost ate the CD during the "incoming torpedoes" mission

Yeah, that mission is a nightmare, especially since your squad mates refuse to help out.

Didn't have the second Add-On to TIE Fighter a similar mission ?

There were lots of torpedoes to be caught, and that by/with the own ship, which had loads of very fast rockets and torpedoes itself …

That whas the point where I broke up the game, many years ago …

1. Freelancer
2. Starlancer
3. Darkstar One
What? No Idependence War?

Actually, that was a really rough game. I don't think I even finished it. I wonder if the second was dum... <ahem> made more accessable?

A pretty clear indication on what I like. Unfortunately, the X series is simply not for me. I can always hope that Rebirth adds a little "Freelancer" to the series, but I strongly doubt that - the recipe has remained the same since the beginning of the series.
The X series isn't for a lot of folks. They're going to be doing something about the learning curve to ease players into the game but I haven't heard much yet about the story. We'll have to see.

What? No Idependence War?

Actually, that was a really rough game. I don't think I even finished it. I wonder if the second was dum… <ahem> made more accessable?

For some reason, I never liked Independence War (either one). I seem to recall whining about it around here somewhere, should be possible to dig up why I didn't like them. I think it had something to do with the controls or interface or some such thing. Maybe the lack of mouse support? I'm not sure.

I have it here (called "I-War" here), and i really thought it was an RTS game - from the title - that's why I've never played it ...

Back
Top Bottom