Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues - On Kickstarter

When did RPGwatch get so bitter and obtuse? Really, WoW and Mount and Blade as comparisons? Really?

When did RPGwatch get so bitter and obtuse? Really, WoW and Mount and Blade as comparisons? Really?

Why would you automatically assume that is negative? WOW is a most successful MMORPG, and M&B is much loved on these boards, actually. As Corwin said: Relax! We are just exchanging observations, impressions and opinions :)

I guess we have 28 days to judge it before we make the final decision on pledging or not.

I think part of the reason I am so disappointed is that the U7's are such a cherished game for me and that part of me was hoping that when this day came the result would be a carbon copy of them from a design perspective. Yes, what RG is proposing could work but it sucks that he didn't stick with what worked so well in the past :(

I think it's time for people to settle back, relax and await developments. This is certainly NOT the time to rush to judgment!! This MAY be a great game, or it MAY be utter crap. Time will tell and only time. I'm a huge Ultima fan; hey, I was a beta tester for Lazarus and a part of the Archon team which produced the U6 remake. I'm hopeful that this will be a success, but LB is going to have to PROVE himself to me this time around. Let's be cautiously optimistic and trust that in the end he will give everyone the game they want.

Well said Corwin!

Although I am disappointed at this stage by what I've seen and heard from the Kickstarter, Ultima IV was the first game that created my passion for CRPG's.

So I'm going to give it more time as you suggest and see where it goes, there is plenty of time to support the game down the road if it starts to hook me at some point, it's just not there right now.

Exactly as Corwin said. We have 28 days to decide. I am going to sit back and wait for more information to come out. No one says you have to contribute now. I am just going to wait for more specifics before i decide to fund it or not. If 28 days pass and i still don't know what the focus is going to be, then i won't back it. However, if i am satisfied with RG's responses to my questions, i will back it. I will just wait and see. I think that's fair.

We all know that the classic Ultima games were all about stories that make you think and the consequences of actions. So I am disappointed that we haven't heard too much about these areas yet. The gameplay I have seen so far doesn't really "wow" me, the shift from isometric view to first person for towns and events reminds me of games like Ultima 1-4, which seems more retro than revolutionary. Not sure I care for it.

But even so, I've backed it simply because it is a Richard Garriott Ultima (or the closest thing we are likely to get to one right now). I would really like to see Mr. Garriott succeed. He's had a long string of failed projects beginning with U9 (and some might even say U8) and I'd like to see him get back to the kind of story telling he did earlier in his career.

I'd also like to see him bring Warren Spector onto the team, as Warren was responsible for most of ULTIMA VII PART 2: SERPENT ISLE which I thought was the best Ultima of all. Of course, this is probably wishful thinking.

Why would you automatically assume that is negative? WOW is a most successful MMORPG, and M&B is much loved on these boards, actually. As Corwin said: Relax! We are just exchanging observations, impressions and opinions :)

It was negative because he said it was copying not it looks a lot like and thats a good thing. He also said it lacked everything that made the mount and blade good, it blows my mind why anyone would think he was copying a tiny indie developer.

GBG:

WoW and M&B and being used in terms as a negative comparison. With M&B he's implying that this new non-Ultima is the same thing. I really, really don't see the comparison to either - M&B was all about mounted combat, WoW is an EQ clone - just a 3D MMOG. Explore the world, enter the city, it has more the feel of an action Ultima to me.

Had he just developed a single player game this would probably be at 3 million right now.

And as Spoonfull pointed he's decided to make them game he wants to make rather than tell the people he will make the game according to this criteria that will part you with your money: ie. selling points.

It was meant as a negative but it seems brave to me.

People shouldn't get their panties in a bunch over the addition of MP especially with this guy. The MMOG is one of his many, many great legacies. I think MP is another great feature if its not the focus.

One thing I don't see is any mention of a party. Along with Wizardry he showed how this could be done in his first revolutionary, huge game, Ultima 3 (the first of many). Ultima 9 was supposed to have a party too but they just stood around Castle Britannia and said goodbye.

Questlord, if you're stil llurking is this you?

http://www.houstongamedev.org/richard-garriott-de-cayeux/

I think it is closer to a guild wars 2 clone; which might not be a bad thing but certianly not the sort of game I want to play.

Looks like another WoW clone. I like the insights in the IGN, but I'll wait for reviews. No advance cash for me. I smell BS, at best another Amalur with MMO tacked on.

I think it is closer to a guild wars 2 clone; which might not be a bad thing but certianly not the sort of game I want to play.

We have also seen nothing that supports that idea.

Just a reminder to folks, he has already told us, in general terms, what his "Ultimate RPG" would be like. In his Kickstarter video, he invites you to read his so-called "treatise" on the subject, the first installment of which is published on this project's webpage, but apparently you have to tune in on successive days to read it there. Or, you can read the whole thing, which I believe already has been reported here on The Watch and elsewhere, at what I believe is his company's site:

http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg?id=93

In it, Garriott vaguely outlines his areas of focus for the "Ultimate RPG," nearly all of which stand polar opposite to my own. He says work has already begun on this project, which I presume is the Kickstarter before us now. Personally, I'll be ignoring his cult-like call at the end of his "treatise" to trust him and join him on this journey. Did you know we're in a great era of social and mobile gaming? And here I thought it was a shameful disgrace…

Edit: Maybe he will be the one to change that. I hope someone does, but I'm not terribly encouraged so far.

Just squeezed past the 50% mark.

Just a heads up - there will be another live developer video stream today at 3:00 PM CST:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0/posts

Here's your chance to try to get your questions answered.

I listened to the one they had yesterday and found it very informative - giving a much clearer picture than the Kickstarter pitch does. Also he took the time to introduce several of the developers on camera which was very cool.

And anyone who still thinks this is just another MMO - Guild Wars 2, WoW clone or whatever is completely missing the whole concept. They specifically said that is the antithesis of what they're doing. Take the time to actually read the material out there and watch the developer videos. It's not a concept that can be summed up quickly.

OMG I'm not alone in this, if any games/dev make me excited about RPGs its him, my childhood was all about the ultimate games.

Indeed if someone deserves benefit of the doubt, its Richard Garriot.

Just a reminder to folks, he has already told us, in general terms, what his "Ultimate RPG" would be like. In his Kickstarter video, he invites you to read his so-called "treatise" on the subject, the first installment of which is published on this project's webpage, but apparently you have to tune in on successive days to read it there. Or, you can read the whole thing, which I believe already has been reported here on The Watch and elsewhere, at what I believe is his company's site:

http://www.portalarium.com/index.php/ultimate-rpg?id=93

In it, Garriott vaguely outlines his areas of focus for the "Ultimate RPG," nearly all of which stand polar opposite to my own. He says work has already begun on this project, which I presume is the Kickstarter before us now. Personally, I'll be ignoring his cult-like call at the end of his "treatise" to trust him and join him on this journey. Did you know we're in a great era of social and mobile gaming? And here I thought it was a shameful disgrace…

Edit: Maybe he will be the one to change that. I hope someone does, but I'm not terribly encouraged so far.

I think what the problem here is everyone is getting held up on the social game words, which really haven't meant social gaming in the past but microtransactions and junk. What they have said in their forums is that they want to return to socail gaming being social, such as playing with others and interacting. Social gaming shouldn't mean microtransaction, zynga made it so.

Well they are past half way with 28 days to go, I'm pretty confident they will make it.

Well they are past half way with 28 days to go, I'm pretty confident they will make it.

Yes but how much will it exceed it that is question,1M very small sum for man of his ambition and I am sure he is aiming for much more.I think he will have another surge once he reveals more about game,if I had to guess with last day surge he will end between 2-2.5M which is also pretty small sum.

As for "social gaming" you said already with what that phrase has been tied to so you can't really blame people for unholstering weapon once it's brought up especially when there is not much info on game.

No I agree but it is silly how much it has been changed to mean something esle. I think a lot of money is coming for the game from him and others...the kickstarter is almost like free advertising.

Heh yeah... "social gaming" began in 1974 with the birth of tabletop D&D. The games we all play here would never exist if it weren't for that. Garriott has a long history with D&D so obviously he would be interested in the social potential of RPGs. He even shows off some of his old D&D notebooks in the live streams which is really cool to see and hear about.

In this last stream they mentioned they're considering the possibility of player-created content. This could be awesome - imagine players being able to design their own items, houses, dungeons, and quests (like in NWN). Or how about special moongates leading to player-created realms?

Back
Top Bottom