An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
I'm updating the games database, but need some help with a description for Battlespire. The first Elder Scrolls game I played was Daggerfall. If anyone would like to help just leave a comment with a description of the game and I'll pick the best one to put in the database.

OK Elder Scrolls 1 was Arena
Elder Scrolls 2 was Daggerfall
Battlespire was an attempt to Turn Elder Scrolls into an FPS/Action Game instead of a RPG and was part of the Elder Scrolls Legends Series
I never Had Redguard Which was also part of Legends
Elder Scrolls 3 is Morrowind - the Addons were Bloodmoon and Tribunal

Last edited:
An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire is a hardcore crpg.
You're a Battlemage apprentice and you are awaiting your final test in Battlespire, but things got a little bit out of control there…
The game uses the Daggerfall engine, but the gameplay is much harder:

a) no shops - you have to loot your enemies or find treasure to survive
b) no rest - you're under constant pressure
c) no respawn of enemies
d) no open world - you have to fight through 7 big levels
e) you fight against Daedra

Battlespire is a game for a hardcore crpg player, who likes challenges, big dungeons, no help and difficult fights. The game is unforgiving - if you generate a character that is to weak, you'll not survive the first 3 battles. Auto-regenerating mana, healing and sword skills are a must have.

This game is Anti-Oblivion - Recommended!

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you very much. Might get rid of the anti-oblivion part and just keep the "recommended!" ;)

It's too bad I missed this one. It sounds like a fun game. Hard, but fun.

There's quite a few Battlespire videos on YouTube for anyone who's interested in seeing it in action. Visually, it did not age well.

Battlespire ran like a slow dog, on a particularly slow day - so I never actually got into it.

They also promised 3DFX support, which they never implemented - and I didn't really care for the simplified approach.

But, I've always meant to give it a try sometime - though I fear it's way too old and ugly now.

I've pretty much given up on both "Battlespire" and "Redguard" - primarily because I *cannot* make them run well on a modern OS. Battlespire technically runs in DosBox, but very very slowly (if you run in VESA mode).

I managed to get Redguard up and running using a Glide wrapper, but with a fair amount of graphical glitches. A shame, because Redguard actually looks like a fairly interesting game. Part adventure, part rpg. LOTS of dialog :)

EDIT: Seems YouTube has a solution after all :) There is a guy who finishes a "Lets Play" series of Redguard. Apparently he played it using a Glide wrapper called "DGVoodoo".
http://www.youtube.com/user/GrimTheReaper1990#p/c/DA4018E2F9676D4B/0/6tcJf4f3VuA

I loved both of them. Battlespire had its fair share of interesting dialog, too, and some good characters. The bugs (especially
disappearing or not appearing glyphs
) may force you to replay a few levels, but I still liked it (besides, the game seems to be longer this way ;) ). Oh yes, and you should take care when playing Redguard: finishing one certain mission somewhat early in the game
(that's taking the amulet back to the Governor)
will make for a totally different gaming experience… at least for a while. So I'd advise you to
better take your time and keep the darned thing in your pocket as long as you can after getting it

I played many levels of battlespire two years ago. Couldnt finish it because of the bugs and high difficulty which makes a bad combination. I tried redguard after that but wasnt able to start it even. Redguard is better than battlespire.

Is this a joke or what? 280 pounds for a copy without gameplay disc and still three days to go. And the guy is selling this as brand new:S

You can get it for less if you look around, but you'll still probably have to spend quite a bit for it.
Battlespire (and Redugard for that matter) did not sell all that well, but they are from a series that sky-rocketed in popularity with Morrowind and later Oblivion. Now people want them because they are a part of the Elder Scrolls series

I only beat Battlespire once, and it was back in 2003. Six years after I bought the darn thing.

The only reason I beat it is because I did the following RPG munchkin things:

#1: Made a character that focused on healing and shield magics
#2: Camped near a regenerating mana stone in each level for 20-30 hours of real time and grinded my magic school scores up to max level by repeatedly casting them and waiting for the mana stones to recharge
#3: Walked around every level after the 2nd with a constant reflect/shield combo spell up so that the tons of Daedra Seducers and other assorted spell spamming baddies would no longer one-shot me.

And wouldn't you know it, I get to Dagon and the fight with him was an auto-win battle where you just walk up to his sprite and you get a win cinematic. Great.

Good game though. Definitely the toughest ARPG I ever played.

Is this a joke or what? 280 pounds for a copy without gameplay disc and still three days to go. And the guy is selling this as brand new:S

I still have my box with manual, disc, and the note from Weaver where he thanks the buyer for supporting his series. How much would you pay? The wife is making me toss a lot of my boxed PC games.

I still have my box with manual, disc, and the note from Weaver where he thanks the buyer for supporting his series. How much would you pay? The wife is making me toss a lot of my boxed PC games.
Thanks but I already have sealed box of Battlespire. Do you have any other old boxed RPGs? Can you please send me a list via PM so I can see if there anything interesting.

OK Elder Scrolls 1 was Arena
Elder Scrolls 2 was Daggerfall
Battlespire was an attempt to Turn Elder Scrolls into an FPS/Action Game instead of a RPG and was part of the Elder Scrolls Legends Series
I never Had Redguard Which was also part of Legends
Elder Scrolls 3 is Morrowind - the Addons were Bloodmoon and Tribunal

It's funny, when you think about it, Morrowind was the only decent TES game. Shame it was ruined with horrid gameplay.

It's funny, when you think about it, Morrowind was the only decent TES game. Shame it was ruined with horrid gameplay.
Completely disagree. Daggerfall was so superior to Morrowind :p

If I had to describe Battlespire it'd probably go something like:

-buggy
-slow
-buggy
-buggy
-no roleplaying
-crash
-buggy

It's like they took Daggerfall, which was already a buggy game, took out everything that was good about it, and added more buggyness. :p

Which is why I'm amazed someone actually finished Battlespire :p

I did, two times already. ;)

I played it 1.5 years after the initial release - I had no crash problems and my computer was powerful enough for the game.

Back
Top Bottom