XCOM 2 - The Strategy Layer @ IGN

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
IGN asked Garth DeAngelis (Senior Producer, Fireaxis) at GC 2015 about the strategy layer of the upcoming XCOM 2 game:

More information.

I worry a little that they're trying to do too much and the player won't be able to keep up, but overall this is still looking incredible.

The more I hear and see, the more I am pleased.

If my generation could keep up with the original X-Com games in the 90's, you'll be just fine. It really is looking good, I still wish it had more real X-Com style map strategy play. Hopefully, they'll have base defense missions this time.

I worry a little that they're trying to do too much and the player won't be able to keep up, but overall this is still looking incredible.

Yeah, other than rangers with swords (facepalm), this is looking great! I hope that last class is mech-related. They were a bit overpowered in EW, but still fun as hell.

Also hope they bring back the medals system. I know it didn't add much, but they were a cool little touch that really helped with character-building. Just love how you can specify sex, country, class now, but I wonder if you're able to see their stats before you choose?

Yeah, other than rangers with swords (facepalm), this is looking great! I hope that last class is mech-related.

Yeah, the melee aspect and the drone are what I'm least interested in - but overall the game is looking incredible and maybe those elements will be as awesome as everything else is looking since overall this game is looking pretty freakin' amazing.

Looks like they've infused some ideas from the XCOM mod community (long war sans sadism and others) too which is pretty cool.

Also, being a member of the PC master race and not giving a flying eff about consoles or mobile gaming, I'm happy to see that they're going PC exclusive and no holds barred (no crippling and gimping due to tying in to inferior platforms). It's refreshing. I wouldn't be surprised if down the road they put out a gimped version for console but at least initially they're able to go all out.

Graphics are looking pretty sweet too - like the textures for weapons when they were showing the customization looked very sharp and overall everything looks crisper - almost shockingly so compared to XCOM.

Respeccing soldiers...more options in the base with assigning workers...all the depth of customization to soldiers and weapons....randomized tactical and strategic content...oh my.

The only bummer is having to wait til November. I wish I knew somebody that worked at Firaxis to get some F&F beta action. :p

This is a must buy for me, the level of customization for my squaddies look like alot of fun. I cant wait to put my family and son into tactical battle with the aliens =]. Even at $90 i would still buy it=[ for $60 its a bargain for amount of replayability.
XCOM2 really is bigger and better than original and being PC exclusive, i must give them day 1 money to make sure they make alot of $$$ to ensure XCOM3 for the future. Would hate to have to wait another 18 years for XCOM3 if they did not make enough money on release=[

Agreed, I have almost 300hrs in on XCOM EU/EW… That's a pretty good value.

I cant wait to add tattooes and camo to my weapons. Also for them to make it mod friendly or release modding tools? the replay value will triple. I dont even know how Firaxis did it but they revived XCOM! Now if only they can get the rights to Jagged Alliance ... and bring that corpse back to life.

Back
Top Bottom