Today is ...

Oh. Thank you.

…Back to the future Day. The day when Marty and the Doc came from the past.

The interesting thing is of course what becomes reality of the things we predict, and tjhe things we didn't think of.

Personally, back then, I was pretty sure that we by now would had landed on Mars, and that we had a permanent station on the moon. But I hadn't expected the the importance of the internet, technically, practically and socially (yeeech!). Even if several of my favourite sci-fi authors described societies where you never had to leave your home.

So, for the grown ups among you: What did you think the future would bring, back in the eighties?

pibbur who didn't fantasize about flying cars.

Well, when I was younger, younger, youn... ehh, I didn't acctually fantasize much about the future... but these days I do a lot to compensate for that.

So I am predicting 2030.... and some things which would appear strange is that probably if I have kids for example, they'll be amazed that I could drive manually... that I read a paper paper... that I had to go to the store to buy stuff and so on..... I also made the huge thread here about jobs that'll be replaced!

…a day of terrible horror and despair. The day that Howard Phillips Lovecraft was pronounced dead, March 15, 1937.

Hope you don't feel I'm hijacking your thread, Pibbur ;) I just thought it appropriate!

Wow, I didn't realize his stuff was that old. I never looked at the dates obviously.

…Hope you don't feel I'm hijacking your thread, Pibbur ;) I just thought it appropriate!

[Sarcasm]Yeah, like I own any thread on Myrthos's site.

:)

Of course it's appropriate.

pibbur who welcomes anyone to post in the threads he has started.

1980: French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre died. Not that it matters. Not that anything matters.

The programming language, SARTRE, one of the so-called "lesser known programming languages", is named after the late existential philosopher. SARTRE is an extremely unstructured language. Statements in SARTRE have no purpose; they just are there. Thus, SARTRE programs are left to define their own functions. SARTRE programmers tend to be boring and depressed and are no fun at parties.

It is a joke, of course, but it was expanded by John Colagioia, computer scientist, to describe a complete esoteric programming language. See: https://github.com/catseye/Specs-on-Spec/blob/master/sartre/sartre.markdown.

pibbur who admits he's boring and depressed and no fun at parties.

Last edited:
And, as Sartre would say and many net posters would agree, "Hell is other people." :)

April 19th, 1987. A little skit called "The Simpsons" premiers on the Tracey Ullman show.

And there was never such a good series again…… ( I mean what it was not what it is, even if new episodes are ok, with the occasional great ones )

April 20 is the 110th day of the year (111th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 255 days remaining until the end of the year.

Ahh. 255 days till I can retire. And play more games. A lot more games (don't tell the wife).

// counting down

pibbur who hasn't decided whether to retire or not, and if he so chooses, whether it will be partial or complete retirement. Yet.

Last edited:
April 19th, 1987. A little skit called "The Simpsons" premiers on the Tracey Ullman show.

The-Simpsons-Fox_tnestw.gif

pibbur who says d'oh (or perhaps not).

Ahh. 255 days till I can retire. And play more games. A lot more games (don't tell the wife).

// counting down

pibbur who hasn't decided whether to retire or not, and if he so chooses, whether it will be partial or complete retirement. Yet.

Strangely enough, I found that once I retired, I seemed to have even less time for playing games than when I was working full time. Other activities more than take up the extra time. Some days I wonder when did I ever have time to actually work!! :)

Strangely enough, I found that once I retired, I seemed to have even less time for playing games than when I was working full time. Other activities more than take up the extra time. Some days I wonder when did I ever have time to actually work!! :)

Liar!!! :)))

pibbur who hopes the corwin is lying

PS. Actually, I do have some plans: I want to take up painting and drawing again. DS.

Liar!!! :)))

pibbur who hopes the corwin is lying

PS. Actually, I do have some plans: I want to take up painting and drawing again. DS.

When I was around 10 - 12 years old, I love to watch lot of Kung Fu movies. However most of these were rated 18+ and the video shop won't let me rent them. At that time one of my big resolve in life was to have Kung Fu movie binge on my 18th birthday. I don't remember what exactly I did for my 18th birthday but it certainly wasn't Kung Fu movie binge as I planned ! So if 254 days, you many not be having your gaming binge as you were planning yesterday :)

…So if 254 days, you many not be having your gaming binge as you were planning yesterday :)

Hah! Who asked you to bring in reality??? Another one for my ignore list!!!! :))) … Actually, no.

I will probably play more games than I do now. But you're right, I think I would be bored if I spent all my retire time on gaming.

pibbur who actually doesn't have an ignore list.

PS.
Talking about childhood wishes: When I was a boy I desperately wanted to go to one of the big amusement parks, like Liseberg in Sweden or Copenhagen's Tivoli. I especially wanted to ride on a real roller coaster. At that time in Norway we only had travelling funfairs which are like somewhat smelly gas released from down under (in the anatomical sense) in comparison. It never happened, though.

Not until I many years later took my children on a railroad trip in Denmark and Sweden. Liseberg: Here comes pibbur. And I finally got my roller coaster ride.

And (unlike my daughters) I absolutely HATED it. :(
DS.

I have always wanted to create my gaming development studio, but never have. I still have some time left, but the way I want to do it is by me being some kind of exec producer with the ideas and people doing the work for me.

So once I win the lottery I will do that. :)

Back
Top Bottom