Might & Magic Heroes VII - Preview @ RPGFan

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
RPGFan published a new preview of Might & Magic Heroes VII. The overall tone of the preview seems postie, and as usual here is small sample for everyone.

If I saw one flaw, it was a lack of streamlining and conveyance for the player. There were several times where I blew past map objectives because I did not realize they were necessary to my quest. Menus could also be a pain to navigate or find relevant information. For instance, when I got my fortress, I noticed that I could assign a hero to act as governor and provide a bonus effect, but I had to exit out to the hero menu to learn what that hero's governor ability did. At one point, I spent at least a minute trying to figure out how to exit another menu. When I was a kid, I would have solved this problem by reading the instruction manual after unboxing the game, but those days are long gone. I don't want hand holding, but players need certain basic information in order to enjoy the more rewarding gameplay aspects.

I am confident that Limbic can fix these problems before the game ships. I am also confident that Heroes VII at least has the potential to make the franchise relevant again outside the diehard fan base. This means welcoming new players with no exposure to the storied franchise, as well as older players like me who have lost touch. Ubisoft and Limbic seem to understand that creating a "Best of Heroes" experience is more than simply Frankensteining popular game mechanics together into a graphical update. Rather, it is about capturing that ineffable, engrossing quality of the old and making it relevant to the new. It is no easy task, but so far, I like what I see.
More information.

I have played every HoMM but the last one. I think I will jump back with HoMMVII. I was happy with M&MX so they will get my business for HoMM.

I have played every HoMM but the last one. I think I will jump back with HoMMVII. I was happy with M&MX so they will get my business for HoMM.

Yes make you a favour and skip Heroes VI. There's nothing that you can't actually miss there (and a lot that you should).

Heroes 6 is a good game. Not great, not awsome, not a masterpiece, but good.
The only thing you'll want to remove from it is uPlay. :)

I'm still unsure why Ubi still insists on uPlay. From what I've seen it didn't stop piracy at all and it's annoying as hell. Yes I did get a bit used to it, so I do buy Ubi games, but some titles I refused to buy just because I didn't want another uPlay game.

Heroes 6 is a good game. Not great, not awsome, not a masterpiece, but good.
The only thing you'll want to remove from it is uPlay. :)

I'm still unsure why Ubi still insists on uPlay. From what I've seen it didn't stop piracy at all and it's annoying as hell. Yes I did get a bit used to it, so I do buy Ubi games, but some titles I refused to buy just because I didn't want another uPlay game.

The only thing I did not like about M&MX was uPlay :) Seems stupid having both Steam and uPlay running.

Yes make you a favour and skip Heroes VI. There's nothing that you can't actually miss there (and a lot that you should).

totally disagree here. I loved Heroes 6, one of my favorites of the series (behind 3 only, about tied with 2 in 2nd place). Only thing I didn't like was the online part, but I played purely offline and didn't affect me that much.

Uplay and origin, two things that will never be on my computer. I love the Might and Magic Hero series, but the uplay requirement makes it deal-breaker for me.

I don't see the problem with stuff like UPlay. Computers have so much RAM nowadays. If you were Ubisoft, why would you give away 30% of all your profits to Steam? It's a poor business decision. It's easy to understand why UPlay exists.

It certainly shouldn't deter anyone.

I don't see the problem with stuff like UPlay. Computers have so much RAM nowadays. If you were Ubisoft, why would you give away 30% of all your profits to Steam? It's a poor business decision. It's easy to understand why UPlay exists.

It certainly shouldn't deter anyone.

I never played a game that needed UPlay so I may be wrong, but doesn't it require a permanent connection and cloud saves for certain games ? I believe I remember people complain they lost their saves due to server problems. IMO, everything that penalizes legitimate buyers should be avoided.

I never played a game that needed UPlay so I may be wrong, but doesn't it require a permanent connection and cloud saves for certain games ? I believe I remember people complain they lost their saves due to server problems. IMO, everything that penalizes legitimate buyers should be avoided.

no you didn't have to be online to play, I never played online. You did lose something that you could only access while online, some 'legacy weapons' or something like that. They were OP so I decided not to use them anyway.

The Conflux for unlocking stuff for both SP and MP was a poor decision in Heroes 6.

Back
Top Bottom