Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Icewind Dale II

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Planescape: Torment

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • None (Leave Comment)

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
I love them all, but if I HAD to choose one (and I did vote for only one since that's all you can do) I chose Baldur's Gate 2. Reasons should be obvious to any who have played it, especially who played it back in the day.

Also, I really look forward to the upcoming IWD EE, because it will be using the BGII engine. Which means the BG II KITS and enhanced spells and classes :) Combined with the higher resolution, the gorgeous graphics and palettes of the frozen north, colorful spells, awe inspiring music it is going to be great great times. This game could literally last us for years! :D

With the much improved and actually useful Beamdog multiplayer system, it will be a breeze to have multiplayer with friends. We could have a Codex/Watch multiplayer party.

Have to say I'm surprised to see IWD win out over BG, even if the amount of people voting is very small.

They are all pretty amazing but I ended up going with Planescape: Torment. It really was a 50/50 with it and BG2 though.

Have to say I'm surprised to see IWD win out over BG, even if the amount of people voting is very small.

I think it is more about the binning process rather than actual graded preferences. Everyone gets one vote, and in general there are 3 choices: BG, PST and IWD. Once you get past that, it is which game you prefer within that nested subgroup. Most here prefer BG2 over the original, so that is why BG is low.

If there was a 'rank 1 - 3' poll, it would likely look different, not sure how it would break out but chances are BG would be higher than IWD.

I voted IWD. It's the only IE game I ever finished. I like all the rest except Planescape. I couldn't stand playing through an interactive novel. I read too many books to be impressed with the writing in PST. The Baldur's Gate series was fine, but I hate high level AD&D and would always quit around 8-10th level in BG. BGII had all the counterspelling nonsense and elite classes, yuk :D Take 5 ranks of concentration so your beserker can become a Black Knight at level 20...ugh!

I think it is more about the binning process rather than actual graded preferences. Everyone gets one vote, and in general there are 3 choices: BG, PST and IWD. Once you get past that, it is which game you prefer within that nested subgroup. Most here prefer BG2 over the original, so that is why BG is low.

If there was a 'rank 1 - 3' poll, it would likely look different, not sure how it would break out but chances are BG would be higher than IWD.

That's certainly a theory :)

Personally, I've found that there's enough difference between BG and BG2 to make a more substantial distinction between the two, which I would assume could also be the case for others.

BG is a more freeform "exploration" sort of game and it's key that you start your character(s) from scratch. BG2 is more about massive scope and narrative. Well, I think so.

IWD is a completely linear combat-driven game with a decent narrative on top.

That said, Couch did a poll just before this one - and IIRC, BG scored higher on it.

But I think you're right that a ranking system would make a significant difference.

Baldur's gate 2 is definitely my favourite.

Back
Top Bottom