What games are you playing now?

Finished up Gothic 3 for the PC and dove headlong back into NWN2, where I'm currently perfecting my stronghold ... really liking it.

Still playing Final Fantasy III DS, and have gotten a decent amount into it - it is very polished and nicely done!

On the PSP I've finished GTA: Vice City Stories which I found pretty disappointing (except for the excellent music), and am now excitedly getting started with Star Wars: Lethal Alliance ... nice non-Jedi action game made specifically for the PSP & DS.

I still don't know how you do it. I took a break from G3 when NWN2 arrived, but I'm still only in Act 1!! Chars are level 10, but I should be near to Act 2 by now!! :)

BG 1 with the expansion. With the TUTU conversion to utilize the BG2 engine extras like higher resolution. That is until the game actually messed up with everything and now my party slogs around the map. On my third restart.
Otherwise, Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance for the GBA. a descent button mashing action game in my opinion, but far from great.

Sucked back into Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War. Making my way thru the campaign again, and wrestling pc opponents in the skirmish mode. I swear, I have almost as much fun designing my own faction motifs (name/paint/banner/badge) as I do playing the game itself. I frequently use my Brotherhood of Steel and Space Tigers as my team, and the Black Guard (Danzig skulls) or 40th Reich as my foes. I need to post pics of the 40th Reich, think "space nazis from hell", they are too badass looking.

BrotherhoodofWarhammer03.JPG

It was hard to find a nice, clear, frontal image of the symbol suitable for use in a badge, luckily I found the weird ww2-style poster featured in the first picture, after much searching. Makes for a nice pic

Brotherhood04.JPG

Brotherhood02.jpg

I got Dark Alliance for Xbox gathering dust in the stack. Grabbed it for ten bucks used, played it for like 20 minutes or so of combat time, and there it lies. What annoyed me immensely was the way that enemies just come clipping across the screen when you enter a new area. I like to enter an area, asess the situation, and attack accordingly. Instead, I found myself just stumbling from one fight to the next. No grace whatsoever, big points off from the Tiger.

Last edited:
Still playing Legend of Zelda, The Wind Waker(Gamecube game) on my Nintendo Wii. I'm really surprised at how good this game is. I don't like very many console games, but I'm having a blast with Wind Waker. Looking forward to playing the new Wii Zelda game that my girlfriend got me for Christmas.

After that I've got a huge line-up just waiting for me. Gothic 3, NWN 2, etc.

I'm currently trying to play Darklands, the Supreme Commander open beta as well as DotA (Defense of the Ancients, the most played modification/map for Warcraft 3), and I'd like to finish my BG2+ToB campaign, but it's been a few weeks since I touched it - even though the ToB CD is still in one of my DVD drives (WC3-TFT is in the other).

Every once in a while I get the hankerin' to play a space combat game. So even though I'm in the middle of G3, I suddenly decided to purchase DARKSTAR ONE, based on 2 or 3 decent reviews. Boy am I disappointed! I'm really trying to like it, but I'm finding the flight physics to be horrid, and the trading layout totally buggered. Of course I've been jaded ever since INDEPENDANCE WAR and its sequel, which were rediculously hard, but at least were incredibly well written and realistic.

Did you try Space Rangers 2, or Gal Civ 2? They are quite good!!

No, I haven't tried those. What's Space Rangers like? I don't think I've seen Space Rangers 2 on a store shelf, and maybe I'm wrong but I thought Galactic Civ 2 was turn based.(?) I really don't like turn based. I like to feel like I'm sitting in the cockpit...joystick n all.

I really enjoyed Freelancer, but was disappointed that it didn't support joystick flight. Darkstar One has tried to imitate Freelancer to an alarming degree - the menu layouts are identical, the trading concept is the same, the news system, even some sound effects are identical. Unfortunately it executes none of these things equal to or above Freelancer. The controls are waay too sensitive, with either joystick OR mouse. There's a function for turning down joystick sensitivity, but it doesn't work right. Instead of actually adjusting the sensitivity, it just makes your ship turn and roll slower - actually handicapping it's manueverability! Oh well... lesson learned - never trust a review anymore, and go back to playing Gothic 3....

You also might find X2 and X3 to your liking!! Dte is our resident expert on those games!!

@jabberwocky
tachyon: the fringe -with bruce campbell, all you need to know

i had originally bought gal civ 2 boxed version, so when gods:loi came out on totalgaming.net i didn't have much incentive to cough up 70 bucks (2 months of gaming for my budget) to buy it as that is really the best deal. finally i did a few weeks before gothic 3 came out, along with daemonica (an intersting game which i didn't get a chance to finish), but got stuck at the final boss and never got any help back at the dot. its hilarious there was one poster on the cyprion boards who alluded at least 3 times in different posts how he knew how to do it and had written it somewhere, but i could never find it. i then a few weeks ago used up the rest of the credits on space rangers 2, at quite a deal, and preorder the expansion for gal civ 2. who knows when i'll get around to playing either, but that's the great thing about totalgaming, you own them forever. you can also get demos for seemingly every game they offer, can't beat that i say.

i haven't played many space piloting games, though i did get through the 2nd act in indepence war II which i enjoyed alot. i think moon patrol was the last game i had a joystick for though...

i have quite a number of games to keep me busy 'til bioshock comes out, and am currently about to finish my first full campaign in medieval 2: total war-go hungarians.

You also might find X2 and X3 to your liking!! Dte is our resident expert on those games!!
Not so. Dhruin and Xen are waaaaaay ahead of me on those. In fact, I've got X3 sitting in the box still since I don't have the hardware to run it. I did follow both pretty closely for the Dot, but that was more a "newshound" function. Heck, I never made it thru the final battle on X2, although I am planning on revisiting the series when I finally invest in a new rig.

I do wholeheartedly recommend the series, though. Target had put X3 on clearance recently for $5, which is why it's collecting dust on my shelf right now (I don't usually purchase games I can't play).

Well guys, I'm afraid I must be a little different or something, because about a year ago I bought X2 and took it back the same day. (Somehow managed to convince them on the return.) I found the economy tedious and the combat flying (I believe I've posted this phrase before) a little like trying to swat a fly with a rolled up magazine. I know there are a lot of hard core X2 fans out there, and I don't knock them, it's just not for me.
X3 looked really cool but my experience with X2 shied me away. If they drastically improved the trading and building interface, and completely overhauled the flight physics engine, I might give it a go. Any opinions on that?...

I have copies of both X games but haven't played them yet other than trying the demos.
They look really interesting but I just don't have time to get into them. I 've heard so much about how incredibly time consuming those games are.

@JDR- doesn't have to be time-consuming if you're a skillful pilot with no patience, but most likely you're gonna want to invest a ton of hours.

@Jabberwocky- If you maxed out your steering, you didn't stand a chance. The ships were overly responsive, bordering on un-flyable, if you cranked the steering much above 20%. I think Xen (far and away the best pilot I ran into) did all his flying with the keyboard, which is sacrilege for joystick-wielding space simmers. The interface was something you had to get used to. Once you learned the hot keys, it wasn't too bad, but until you got to that point getting to the info you wanted was pretty painful.

Well, as I remember the manual and tutorial was so vague that I didn't know there WAS a joystick sensetivity control... I think someone on rpgdot forums told me about that after I had already taken the game back. Oh well... I may give X3 a chance someday if nothing else comes out by the time I'm ready for it. Darkstar One was somewhat of an impulse buy. I really need to finish Gothic 3 and Medieval Total War II before I get something else. (Oh...but who am I kidding? I'll never fully finish a MTW II campaign - they're just too long! but I still feel I get my money's worth of enjoyment out of any in the Total War series).

Thanks for the tips!

Time for updates--since this list was started I've finished M&M7, playtested a map or two for HOMMV, got sidetracked by Titan Quest and Mount &Blade,(If I could just make that damn horse slow down....)and embarked on what may be a lifelong exploration of Wizardry8.
After Christmas, who knows???

Since finishing up Gothic 3 I also finished my first run (Paladin)NWN2 for the PC ... and am now working on my 2nd run of NWN2 (Sorceror) and also Geneforge 4: Rebellion.

Still working on Final Fantasy III DS, and completely loving it. The random battles are occasionally frustrating, as is the 'save only on over-world' system. But the stor, characters and overall presentation are really well done.

On the PSP I've had to go back and replay parts of GTA: Vice City Stories for another review, and found it hard to not just drive around listening to the music ... , I also played Star Wars: Lethal Alliance, which was pretty good but not great. Also played bunches of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 for review. Fiddling with Monster Hunter: Freedom a little ...

The Temple of Elemental Evil + co8 mod

Hi!
Where did you get that mod?
My game is too buggy and I read that you need it to greatly improve the game's efficiency. Uninstalled it because of that.
Thanks!

Currently playing :

Gothic (again!)
Gothic 3 (Humph...)
Tes Oblivion (On and off because of bad framerate and lack of interest)
Beyond Divinity (Don't know if I'll ever finish the game)
Arx Fatalis (On and off : stuck in the Crypts for 6 months now...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom