Choice of smartphone

Cyanogen doesn't remove all links to Google sadly. Also on Android you can use some browsers to view Youtube videos without having to use the Youtube app and be logged in it, which is what Google desperately wants.

I have a special hate for Android/Google after watching my awesome Samsung Galaxy S get reduced to a piece of junk as they fundamentally changed Android twice in less than two years. I went from a great phone to not being able to use many of my apps because they needed to be updated, but they needed the next release of Android (and fuck those stupid names for them), which in turn crippled my phone.

At one point I put a custom ROM on of Gingerbread (it came with Froyo, but no update was put out for Jelly Bean or whatever came after Gingerbread) and it worked beautifully again for a few days, until I started trying to use some of the apps and they now would update (or become useless) and then it would start crashing again.

I've never been a fan of Apple, so I really didn't want to get an iPhone (I do have one for work and that's more than enough Apple for me), so I tried the Windows Phone, the Nokia 521. $80 with no contract. Its not perfect, and there are a few apps I can't get (no Amex is annoying for one thing), but overall, I'm a big fan. Enough that I am considering buying a more robust model (mine doesn't have a flash and I'd really like one).

If you use a lot of windows stuff like I do (WHS, OneDrive, etc.), it integrates very nicely. I tested the XBox glass once and it worked well, but I don't use my XBox enough for it to be a deciding factor.

People like to complain about the app store and how its missing many name brand apps. My response is this - if you HAVE to have Instagram, for instance, you're shit out of luck (or at least you were, haven't checked in a while), but if you just want the functionality of Instagram for doctoring photos, there are plenty of apps as good or, IMO, better (such as the Nokia ones). Even so, most of the major apps I use are there. My one real complaint is that Google no longer supports ActiveSync so getting instant email updates is difficult (not impossible, but you have to jump through some hoops to get it to work). This is a Google issue though, and they are just trying to push people away from the platform, so its hard to be pissed at MSFT for that.

One of my favorite things is that the upgrade cycle on the OS is considerably longer than Android or iOS. They do release minor bug fixes, but 8.0 to 8.1 was quite a while and going to 8.1 didn't break apps the way Android releases do. Overall, it just seems like a much more stable platform than Android. Can't say how it compares to iOS in that regard though.

Well you did buy a Samsung. Easily my worst phone was the Nexus 3, made by Samsung. I'll don't plan on buying anything Samsung in the forseeable future as I find their quality of everything to be low (phones, fridges and TVs) based on mine and my friends experiences. I even have a friend that does appliance repair and he recommends staying away from their stuff.

MSFT :) there is no doubt in which sector you're working anyway :)

Yeah, referring to companies by their stock symbols definitely outs you!

Well you did buy a Samsung. Easily my worst phone was the Nexus 3, made by Samsung. I'll don't plan on buying anything Samsung in the forseeable future as I find their quality of everything to be low (phones, fridges and TVs) based on mine and my friends experiences. I even have a friend that does appliance repair and he recommends staying away from their stuff.

There was nothing wrong with the phone itself. It was crippled by software updates mandated by Google. My wife's HTC (MyTouch4G) had much the same problems, only it started on Gingerbread, so it only got hosed once.

The problem is that Google basically threw Android out there and used us all as Beta testers for the last 5 years. I understand its more or less stablized by this point, but the fact is they put out unfinished software and then made major changes to it along the way that crippled otherwise perfectly good hardware.

OnePlusOne is very annoying with their "invitation" system to generate hype and excitement, the arrogance and exuberance of it really rubs me off the wrong way.

I heard good things about Windows Phone, but to me it looks like the worst of both worlds: none of the freedom of Android, and none of the quality app stores and tight integration of hardware and software of Apple.

I heard good things about Windows Phone, but to me it looks like the worst of both worlds: none of the freedom of Android, and none of the quality app stores and tight integration of hardware and software of Apple.

They are working hard to clean up the app store and attract new developers (and many big time ones that have avoided it). I put it like this, for me, I have been able to find an app for everything I need that works well for me, but if you are a real heavy app user, particularly one that is married to certain specific apps, its not going to suite your needs.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/10/0...-attempt-by-google-seeks-1-billion-valuation/

Google tried to buy Cyanogen for 1 billion and Cyanogen told them to buzz off. Good on them for not selling their soul to the devil.

Although I think that with Cyanogen progressively becoming much bigger, it will eventually stop being akin to an homebrew project, and it will eventually go through unpleasant changes, kind of like Ubuntu in the Linux world who partnered with Amazon to send user search data for ad money.

This is funny, because I just changed cell phone providers, and I was told that to get their best rate, I had to pick one of their free cell phone. I ended up picking the Nokia Lumia, just to check it out.

It's not bad at all actually, it does a good job of displaying a lot of very useful information in very little screen estate.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014...the-nexus-6-nexus-9-and-android-5-0-lollipop/

Google has launched Android 5.0 Lollipop, and announced pre-orders for the Nexus 6 (a smartphone) and the Nexus 9 (a tablet).

Android 5.0 looks like an incremental update, rather than the jump from 3.0 to 4.0.

The Nexus 6 will have very impressive specs, it will have a 5.9 inch screen, and a 2560 * 1440 resolution. I am not sure however that such a high resolution is worth it, considering the added power drain. And at any rate the LG G3 has higher PPI, and a cheaper price.

However, what is sad is that the days of cheap Nexus phones are over. The price for the Nexus 6 will be $749! Yikes!

I have received my iPhone 6 Plus case, and it is already big enough as it stands, no way I ever want to get a phone any bigger than this.

Last edited:
So I received the iPhone 6 Plus recently after all this time. So far I must say I quite like it, iOS 8.1.1 is very good and sleek and has lots of useful functions. It has some of the stuff I wanted, such as a great way to manage all app permissions, something Google will never do (because it would hurt their ad revenues). I missed Apple's app store, there simply is no comparison in overall quality even today. Battery life is very very good.

I must admit that 5.5 is a bit uncomfortable to handle, maybe I'll get used to it but so far after a week of use or so it's still a bit strange when making a call. Although I admit I did think that at first of a 5.2 inch phone. I think 5.2 is just about the sweet spot of compactness vs size.

The screen is very good, but I must say I prefer the Galaxy S5's AMOLED screen, it is just more vibrant, although the colors might not be quite as accurate it was still very good.

Last edited:
So I received the iPhone 6 Plus recently after all this time. So far I must say I quite like it, iOS 8.1.1 is very good and sleek and has lots of useful functions. It has some of the stuff I wanted, such as a great way to manage all app permissions, something Google will never do (because it would hurt their ad revenues). I missed Apple's app store, there simply is no comparison in overall quality even today.

Unfortunately this is so true, as someone who owns both apple and android devices its just about a crime how superior apple apps are to android. In almost every case the apple app is better even when they are the same app, apples version will be more polished.

Not sure why they can't make the same app for both platforms.

Anyway I just recieved my nexus 6 and its by far the best phone I've ever used. Great screen, battery life and the speakers are second to none.

I owned an lg g3 and note 3 before this.they were fine phones but this nexus 6 is impressive.

Now if android apps could just improve.

The Nexus 6 is as expensive as the other high-end phones though sadly. It's not cool for the consumers on a budget who want a cheap phone with good specs.

Expensive? From the man that bought an iPhone 6 plus??;)

Your right though its not cheap but its also top of the line. If someone wants cheap then wait in line for an invite for 1+1.

The Iphone 6 / 6+ is actually a big step forward for apple... much better than their earlier stuff, still not worth the high prices though.

Phone is a phone.
Buy phone for phoning.
The cheapest one possible with longlasting battery. When it farts, buy another. Cheap one.

For other things that are not phoning buy yourself a desktop PC (gaming) or Kindle (ebooks).

Phone is a phone.
Buy phone for phoning.
The cheapest one possible with longlasting battery. When it farts, buy another. Cheap one.

For other things that are not phoning buy yourself a desktop PC (gaming) or Kindle (ebooks).

No, I use my phone for e-mails as well as chatting when on the move.
I rarely use it for gaming or books.

Phone is a phone.
Buy phone for phoning.

I disagree as well. My smartphone is easily used least as a phone. Internet browsing, texting, navigation, wifi hotspot, tons of ebook reading and more uses. If I had to choose between a computer at home and a smartphone, I'd pick the smartphone. Its that useful.

I merely suggested what to do, you'll, of course, do what you like.

I mean… Phones can vibrate too, and thus you can use them as sex toys. I still suggest to use them only for phoning and not something other gadgets do 100 times better.

Back
Top Bottom