Pillars of Eternity - Interview & Preview Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Alright lets get started with the roundup as a Twitch streamer called Arvan Eleron interviewed Josh Sawyer, the Project Director of Pillars of Eternity.

I had a great turnout for this one, an interview conducted with the Project Lead for one of the most highly anticipated RPGs in recent memory. Josh was both gracious and thoughtful in his answers, and for my part I somehow managed not to die to a bunch of beetles during the interview, so on the whole I think this worked out. :)
He also streamed over three hours of game footage afterwords. You can watch the first video here, the second video here, and the third video here.

The full broadcast of my interview with Josh Sawyer and subsequent playthrough of the beta version of Pillars of Eternity. There was a long pause right after the interview (had to attend to my dog, so wasn't able to get back as fast as I had hoped), so you will probably want to fast forward through that section
Moving on MMORPG posted a two part preview of the games classes in Pillars of Eternity. The first part can be read here, and the second part can be read here.

The ruleset being used by Obsidian is not your traditional D&D. Instead, Obsidian built their own rulebook for Pillars of Eternity. As they put it themselves:

“Players will recognize many familiar elements -- six attribute scores, many classic races and classes, discrete character levels, a roll-to-hit combat system, strength-based personal character inventories -- but the systems use seconds (and fractions of seconds) instead of rounds, a virtual "100-sided die" for more transparent combat mechanics, and the use of easily-understood formulas that would be difficult to calculate in a tabletop environment.”

To that end, expect to see quite a few familiar classes, but with their own unique Pillars-y twists. Without further ado, here comes the first batch of 11 possible classes!
More information.

Just a small re-post from another thread as I'm being lazy right now.:cool:
Well I finally caved in and played the latest Baker Beta. All I can say is I'm in love as the game does feel like I am finally playing an Infinity Engine Game again.:cuddle:

So come next week I will not be commenting all that much on the forum. I just have to stock up my man cave with the needed supplies to sustain my long game marathon.

Last edited:
I just have to stock up my man cave with the needed supplies to sustain my long game marathon
Baked Beans and Coke. How hard it can be? :)

Baked Beans and Coke. How hard it can be? :)

Baked beans and coke? o_O

On my side the marathon won't start until the weekend, I have something on Thursday and Friday night that I cannot cancel.

Aaarrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

what about a twitch stream ? ;)

Baked Beans and Coke. How hard it can be?
Well I was thinking about finally eating the boxes of Dorito chips, and drinking the pallet of Mountain Dew I seem to receive every month from developers & publishers.

It's the breakfast of journalists apparently.:biggrin:

*(Just a joke about the game industry scandal from last year.)

Stll baked beans sound good, but you need Boston Brown bread also.

Last edited:
And the bottles can be reused to avoid unnecessary restroom breaks :evilgrin:

And the bottles can be reused to avoid unnecessary restroom breaks :evilgrin:
Well thats rule number one of man caving, and long road trips.

Just ask my Southern family members.:lol:

No no. A carefully prepared Caesar salad with quinoa and avocado (+ amandel milk). You need decent nourishment for such a taxing game. He'll last longer

(French fries + carbonade flamande will do as well)

I'm excited this looks like one of the games of yore; the mythical role-playing games pumped out during their heyday. Original Sin recaptured that magic.. if this does, we may just be living a resurgence.

I recommend making a supply of good sandwiches for sustenance in the mancave. Too many Doritos and sodas will make you feel rough and tired before you're all gamed out. Nice pizza is also acceptable, but not the ones from Dominos, which I suspect are a borderline biohazard.

Horror of horrors! They have revised the minimum sys requirements and I have but a lowly Core 2 Duo (3.0 GHz Wolfdale), not an i3. While I understand my system is long in the tooth, this is bad news.

I may still buy it and see how it works. Luckily Newegg has been loaded with great deals for an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom