Gothic 3 Playing as a mage

Sorry to revive the topic, but I've just restarted the game with my new laptop and I've decided to play as a mage this time.

I was wondering how you calculate the damage done by spells ? I can't seem to find a real way of doing that.

I think I'm like level 15 or so with Ice Lance, Telekinesis, Fireball as spells and I got about 300 mana and HP I think.
I was thinking of going the way of the druids, but the fire spells seem much more powerful from their descriptions.

Do you have any tips except for the ones listed above. Any spells which are a must ?

Storywise, I just got into Monterra's castle and am planning to move ahead to the immediate surroundings before going to the next city.

Get mana regeneration as soon as possible, and pump Ancient Knowledge as high as possible. Whether you use lightning, ice lance or fire is irrelevant as long as you have high enough AK and the mana regen skill. :)

I was wondering how you calculate the damage done by spells ? I can't seem to find a real way of doing that.

There's a guide on the JoWood forum that gives some help on this. Half your AK level adds to the damage and getting the specialized perk in a magic school (water, fire,druid) doubles the base power of all spells in that school.

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=134771

Get mana regeneration as soon as possible, and pump Ancient Knowledge as high as possible. Whether you use lightning, ice lance or fire is irrelevant as long as you have high enough AK and the mana regen skill. :)

I don't know where to find mana regen yet, but I will.

There's a guide on the JoWood forum that gives some help on this. Half your AK level adds to the damage and getting the specialized perk in a magic school (water, fire,druid) doubles the base power of all spells in that school.

http://forum.jowood.com/showthread.php?t=134771

Thanks. I will have a look at the thread later too.

Ice lance is great for stunning foes. I use it when fighting groups with multiple shamans, stun a few and whack the remaining ones. Bloodlust can be used for cheesy resolution of some quests (with some patience you can make non-hostile NPCs murder each other). Heal other is useful for some quests.

How good is the open locks spell ?
What locks does it or doesn't it open ?

EDIT: Reading the thread I notice that you have a few levels under your belt already. If you have enough AK to buy the spell, by all means get it rather than spending points on thievery!

Original posts
It opens all locks, but usually it isnt a worthwhile investment.

First of all you'll get it fairlyy late in the game. You will encounter expert (or whatever the second level chests are called) quite early, and it is easier to just spend a few points in thieving to get that level of lockpicking. Chests that cant be opened with that level of lockpicking are rarer than open locks scrolls (making the highest level of lockpicking pointless even to dedicated thieves).

Caveat: My experience is with 1.6 and earlier, but should still hold unless the late community patches changed loot and chests.

I need another 100 AK before getting enough for open locks, but I haven't been able to open any difficult locks yet, so not a lot of special booty :)

I'm in Varant right now, just trying to do easy quests, but I have noticed that I can kill everything so easily compared to my last run as a fighter. fireball is great and ice lance isn't bad either. I like the fireball's burn, which is similar to poisoning and kills the beasts.

I can even kill snorting monsters one at a time. That's quite a feat so early in the game. I had only done quests in Ardea, Reddock, Montera, Trelis and Nemora then. Playing as a mgae is very easy compared to fighter. The only problem is the arena fights for now. I only have normal staff fighting for now though.

I've never played a pure mage, so I cant vouch for the relative merit of extra AK/mana compared to getting the open difficult lock skill early on. Loot isnt critical so I imagine you arent losing out on much. Just eat your goblinberries and get some trophy skills for the extra cash instead.

Magic combat is very easy as long as you dont have to fight in cramped locations and can keep the enemies at a distance. There are a few dungeons that will be tricky. You will also run into some high-HP magic users, who will heal themselves before you can take them out with magic. They are best handled with ice lance (for stunning) followed by a fast melee weapon.

I just met one of them. Good I saved just before, because he killed me - high undead priest in Ben Sala. I managed to kill him quite easily though the next time. Just a few Ice lances and then let Diego assault him :)

Yeah, those are pretty much the toughest non-boss enemies in the game (maybe together with dragons, but dragons cant heal themselves AFAIK).

One dragon at a time isn't hard at all. Beat one head-on. It's easy to stun them long enough for the next spell to be cast. Two of them nearly killed me underneath Cape and I had Cyrus helping me there.

I'm slowly creeping towards 200 AK and Mana Regen, but I have put some, maybe too many points into mana. It's helped me a lot though.
I've done a big part of Varant now, but I'm going back to Myrtana for the unsolved quests.
I'm not strong enough for those temples yet...

Anything is easy if stunlocked;) I've not been very successful stunlocking dragons though. The only time I managed to took out the one near Geldern in melee I did so by hitting him through a ruin wall that blocked his breath attack.

I found the two cave dragons easier, the cave has a lot of cover options making it a piece of cake for a patient archer...

Speaking of stunlock I've never managed to defeat ogres in melee (they dont stun easily), but they are pretty darn trivial to a mage...

Yep, it's a breeze after that. Good fun though.

Back
Top Bottom