10 Best PC Games Ever @ MSN

I thought it was surprisingly well-informed and admirable list. Then I hit number 1.

Agreed. A really good list until number 1. Why is it number 1? The other games in the list seemed to be there because of how they influenced current games. So you would think #1 would be Everquest or Ultima Online. But if the other games are being rated by the "number of copies sold" as compared to WoW, then logically, Doom should be replaced with Half-Life. Or if you use the "games that other games try to emulate" then Starcraft should be replaced with Dune 2, or Trade Wars should be replaced with Elite. Hey, they're all great games, but number 1 just ruined the consistency of the list.

Hey, I can TradeWars 2002 can count as an RPG! Haha, I used to play that on my 2400 baud modem when I was young! This was truly some kind of early Eve Online, or something, except there was more base building. You'd find an ideal cluster of sectors to build your base, place defenses, etc. and the next time you'd log in you'd find your base attacked or whatever! Extremely cool for the time!

Wow. A list made of games I never played (two of them, never even heard about) and games I hate. And some starcraft added to spice it up.

Is Ultima Online dead? According to the graph http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html, it looks like it has zero users.

Glad they had Civ on there. Sid Meier has sucked more hours of my life than all the RPG's I've played combined.

I just can't get over those TW2002 screenshots. That selection of colours and ANSI (and later, the faster AVATAR) graphics have had more of an effect on me than many games that came after it seems. Has anybody else reading this played it? I wanna know. :)

EDIT: I'm gonna start a new game of TW2002 now!

Last edited:
I thought Rogue was a CRPG? If it's not then what is it?

Fairly good (except as mentioned #1), but are these games the "best"? I don't think that description matches the list.

Some choices are highly debateble: Trade Wars should've been replaced with Dani Bunton's Modem Wars, because it's the online component that makes it stand out. As a trade sim it loses against M.U.L.E..

As pointed out the makers couldn't decide if commercial success is more or less important than artistic achievements. I don't think that there was a SIMS game without SIM City (in the list) and Alter Ego (not) and Little Computer People (not).

BTW: Where's Wizardry?

I saw this last week and thought it was a garbage list ... no HOMM, XCOM, Half Life, Baldur's, Wizardy (or JA) etc. etc.

all more deserving than 10,9,8,4,3,2,1.

Civ II was the only Civ you needed in your list. The Sims? Are you 13 and non-male? Trade Wars? You serious? I could see putting MOO2 in ... really this article cannot be taken seriously.

Glad they had Civ on there. Sid Meier has sucked more hours of my life than all the RPG's I've played combined.
I was glad to see it there too. I absolutely agree with wynams that Civilization 2 is the best of the series. I enjoy playing it to this day. A great idea and a great game.

I agree with what most people say here. Maybe they should've called the list "Most Influental Games Ever".

BTW I'm new here. Been lurking for quite a while though ;)

I was glad to see it there too. I absolutely agree with wynams that Civilization 2 is the best of the series. I enjoy playing it to this day. A great idea and a great game.

Agreed it is the best, but it seems that their definition of best includes games that fundamentally changed the genre, which Civ did, but Cib II, while being an immensely superior game, did not.

Essentially: Civ = revolutionary, Civ II = evolutionary.

Of course, that means UO should have displaced WoW as UO was revolutionary, but Wow was evolutionary.

Civ1 was amazing and I played it well beyond its shelf life. I practically kicked the door down to get Civ2 when it came out. AI cheats in it though as we all found out.

It is an odd list - I would think that Simcity and Sims shouldn't be listed ; shold be one or the other. WoW should be replaced by EQ. So I think whomever said it was a schizophrenic list is bang on.

Its good that Myst is there but a lack of CRPG, you'd expect they'd say Pool of Radiance at least.

Is Myst the only adventure then? Nothing from Infocom? Text Adventures were a staple in the industry for 20 years.

Trade Wars and MULE all good worth mentioning and reminding the public about. The list does have some merit - and some brown nosing to advertisers and fanboys.

Back
Top Bottom