Dragon Age 2 - Signature Edition Deadline Coming

including an in game digital armory, a downlodable soundtrack and a bonus playable character and missions.

The poor and pathetic state of modern RPG's never ceases to amaze me. Wtf happened to the good old days when you have the game + A REAL expansion (not some shitty 10h campaign) = awesomeness.

I'll wait to get the regular edition. If I want there dlc just like there other titles there are other ways of getting it.

I'll most likely wait until there'll be an "Ultimate" version of it. If I ever buy it; it's not very much appealing to me right now …

including an in game digital armory, a downlodable soundtrack and a bonus playable character and missions.

The poor and pathetic state of modern RPG's never ceases to amaze me. Wtf happened to the good old days when you have the game + A REAL expansion (not some shitty 10h campaign) = awesomeness.
So true. But please extend this to all PC gaming and not only to RPG.
Games are not games anymore but commodities (not counting the smaller and indie developers).
It's a sign of the times. Look around, this kind of things is happening with every thing.

They've released very little information while announcing big changes, most of which I don't like.

Now they're offering a pre-order with a deadline that's 2 months away from release? This whole deal just stinks to me, they're not getting my money.

Last time I supported Bioware, they went and interpreted the success of their game as an excuse to make the sequel inferior in most ways.

Not for me...

Last time I supported Bioware, they went and interpreted the success of their game as an excuse to make the sequel inferior in most ways.

Not for me…

So true... Wasn`t Dragon Age supposed to be for the hardcore/oldschool/whatever? And then it sold well - why couldn`t they keep it like that, then? (rhetorical question I guess).

Having said that I`ll buy it anyway. Second hand, year from now.

I'm with the other poster who pre-ordered from Amazon - I can bail up to the last minute. However, on Amazon it doesn't appear to be marketed as DA2 with free upgrade to the Signature Edition. It's just the Signature Edition at $59.99. I can't even find a regular edition on their site, so it doesn't really "feel" like I'm getting a deal (unless the SE jumps to $79.99US after the deadline - which I assume it will).

I am concerned about the further dumbing down that *might* occur with this sequel, but I was not horribly disappointed with ME2 in this regard, so I'm holding out hope.

So true. But please extend this to all PC gaming and not only to RPG.
Games are not games anymore but commodities (not counting the smaller and indie developers).
It's a sign of the times. Look around, this kind of things is happening with every thing.

Yeah but I mostly play RPG's (with a few rare exceptions) so I am only interested in this genre. I honestly don't give a crap about the making of a FIFA/NFS game every year.

But there still are god games coming out, Idk for sure if gaming in general is going down are we are too nostalgic to let go of the past. But even so, we can all agree that most of the games in the past were better.

I'll most likely wait until there'll be an "Ultimate" version of it. If I ever buy it; it's not very much appealing to me right now …

Exactly despite the previews and other people saying its going to be great. I'm reserving my judgment till I see a friend play it.

So true… Wasn`t Dragon Age supposed to be for the hardcore/oldschool/whatever? And then it sold well - why couldn`t they keep it like that, then? (rhetorical question I guess).

From Brent Knowles´ (one of DA:O´s lead designers) blog:

"We were nearing the end of active work on design content for Dragon Age… there was still a lot more bug fixing/polishing/ and fill-content generation ahead but the core plot/writing and level design was finished. My work was rapidly shifting into that of reviewing what the team had put together.

Discussion on Dragon Age 2 began around this time and looking ahead I knew that I wasn’t going to be satisfied with what Dragon Age 2 would be. Party control/tactical combat are huge factors in my enjoyment of a role-playing game as is adopting the role of the hero (i.e., customizing my character). I was fairly certain Dragon Age would transition towards more of a Mass Effect experience, which while enjoyable is not the type of role-playing game I play. Could I be the lead designer on such a title? Certainly… though if I were going to work on a game adopting a set-in-stone protagonist I’d rather work on something lighter, like a shooter. "

So, basically, they´ve decided DA2´s direction even before DA:O was shipped.
Maybe, among other things, they haven´t anticipated DA:O will be such a success.

I was talking about supporting Mass Effect, which was started much later than Dragon Age.

Clearly, they struggled with Dragon Age, seeing as how they started it back when Neverwinter Nights was the kind of thing they wanted to do - and finished it post-Mass Effect. Somewhere along the way, they completely changed their style.

I supported Mass Effect, because I expected it to be better - but also because I wanted an improved sequel. What they did, was dumb it down even further - by stripping away RPG mechanics rather than fixing them, and turning it into a predictable streamlined shooter in a strong sci-fi setting.

Bioware turning the wrong way is not a recent thing. It started before KotOR - and I consider KotOR the last truly great game they made. Dragon Age was solid, but I think they lost perspective somewhere along the way, and it was more or less because of all the work they'd already done - that it turned out a relatively strong game afterall. But you can see the streamlining and mainstream aspect of latter day Bioware if you keep your eyes open.

This is a really shady tactic. Bioware has really gone to shit in recent years (although tbh I've never quite dug them. I'm probably alone in this but I was massively disappointed by the blandness of BG1.)

What halcyon days of old are you remembering? There never has been an RPG that had a "REAL expansion (not some shitty 10h campaign)" at release.

The original DA had a 50+ hour (some people said over 100 hour) campaign. That's a good deal by any standards.

The original DA had a 50+ hour (some people said over 100 hour) campaign. That's a good deal by any standards.
I see your point. But there's a lot of content that was deliberately stolen from the main game and sold posteriorly as DLC. This is more noticeable with ME2 than with DA.

Piffle. You could play DA:O as released with no additional content and still play for 50+ hours.

If you don't like DLC just don't get it. In this case the extra stuff is free for those willing to take a chance on pre-ordering. Other games sometimes have a discount for pre-ordering. I am always hesitant about pre-ordering in general (moreso since the Elemental fiasco).

Last edited:
I haven't pre-ordered yet but I think I will. I've always been a sucker for extra content. I really don't like what I've seen of DA2 so far but... even though I disagree with Bioware's current design direction I did enjoyed ME and ME2 anyway. I'm prepared to gamble that DA2 will exceed my expectations and not be the consoltardised abomination it threatens to be.

I am not buying this game till it gets released as an "Ultimate Edition" where it has all the Expansions and DLC for the same price that the Regular edition did at the time of release.

I got my copy preordered from gamersgate, would have prefered steam but no sig for steam.

I always like bw games so this is definitly on my list for this year. Looking more to witcher 2 but even with the disappointing changes I should still enjoy da2.

What halcyon days of old are you remembering? There never has been an RPG that had a "REAL expansion (not some shitty 10h campaign)" at release.

How about Throne of Bhaal? I'm not sure what speed you play games at, but that was a lot more than 10 hours for me (unless you quick-clicked your way through everything - I have friends who did that). Bloodmoon? Tribunal? Every expansion for an RPG that I have bought has been a lot longer than 10 hours of game play. Many DLC's are a lot shorter and you pay more per gaming hour.

Back
Top Bottom