Do Not Overlook These RPGs @ VideoGame2Play

Dhruin

SasqWatch
VideoGame2Play highlights a number of under-the-radar RPGs, with short descriptions and a video for each. Risen, Divinity 2, Two Worlds 2, Arcania, Venetica and a couple of jRPGs all get a place:
OK I’ll admit it I loved the first Two Worlds. If you hated it I understand because there were a lot of technical issues. If those issues were what hung you up on the first one then have no fear as this game has a brand new engine. It started as an expansion called Two Worlds: The Temptation, then they announced they have scrapped that game because of the size and the new engine and are making a huge full blown sequel. The first game had a lot to love about it with a deep skill system and great branching side quest. The sequel will also be open world and will have everything we loved about the first game and hopefully nothing we hated. Keep an eye out for it if you love a deep rpg experience.
More information.

My comment is directed to 2 Worlds, I really wanted to like the game...I had zero playability issues, it ran fine and I was able to connect and start games online with no problem.

My only gripe is/was the Mob Density!!!

I seemed like I couldn't go 10 feet without attracting a "pack" of animals/creatures...once I learned how to play better, death wasn't an issue...it was the constant battering of mobs I didn't want to have to deal with over and over while I was trying to flush out/explore the map.

Now I realize that there needs to me mobs enough to keep busy and such...but this felt like overkill imo

Pretty much how I'm feeling about Sacred 2 but I'm trying to stick with it.

I do find it odd that I've never felt this way about Diablo 2 or Titan Quest or the Dungeon Siege games.

Perhaps it has something to do with the "speed" of the attacks and battles...in 2W there seemed to drag on too long and then you were right in another one lol

Will definitely be checking out all the games listed though to see what catches my eye and ultimately my time ;)

As always, Thanks for the link!

In my Two Worlds review I said something like that I started the game getting killed by butterflies and kittens and by the end I could take out elder dragons with a single spell without breaking stride.

In my Two Worlds review I said something like that I started the game getting killed by butterflies and kittens and by the end I could take out elder dragons with a single spell without breaking stride.
OK, so you're good at Two Worlds (There's no need to brag). ;)

That's the first time I heard of Venetica, though it looks like action game in trailer, I hope game will be different.

I do not mind that someone speak about these games. They are overlooked beyond the RPG community as far as I concern.

Yeah, casual gamers probably have no idea what those games are about.

Whether they "deserve" attention or not, they certainly qualify at least as much as mainstream titles.

DW Bradley's Dungeon Lords : Orb & Oracle

Still have DW Bradley's Dungeon Lords : Orb & Oracle under radar, but there's no news about it for a few months...

Do anyone know if it's still on tracks ?

My only gripe is/was the Mob Density!!!

I seemed like I couldn't go 10 feet without attracting a "pack" of animals/creatures...once I learned how to play better, death wasn't an issue...it was the constant battering of mobs I didn't want to have to deal with over and over while I was trying to flush out/explore the map.

Now I realize that there needs to me mobs enough to keep busy and such...but this felt like overkill imo

Pretty much how I'm feeling about Sacred 2 but I'm trying to stick with it.

I do find it odd that I've never felt this way about Diablo 2 or Titan Quest or the Dungeon Siege games.

Perhaps it has something to do with the "speed" of the attacks and battles...in 2W there seemed to drag on too long and then you were right in another one lol

This sounds imho very much like the influence of the Action-RPG genre on *all* kinds of RPGs to me.

Kind of a strange article if you ask me. Most of those games are hardly "under-the-radar" to crpg fans.

As D'Artagnan said, for the mainstream gamer, these are non-existent, so a little more attention is never bad.

OK, so you're good at Two Worlds (There's no need to brag). ;)

No - I was commenting on the crappy balance / level progression.

Still have DW Bradley's Dungeon Lords : Orb & Oracle under radar, but there's no news about it for a few months...

Do anyone know if it's still on tracks ?

I had started a thread here about it. The game is gone from Dreamcatcher's site, and recently the official forums were pulled. As far as I'm concerned, it is dead and gone.

Perhaps, but since the article is about RPGs to begin with, I question how many mainstream gamers are reading it.

Sadly it is indicative of cluelessness in gaming media ... a bunch of hardcore folks cloistered up, thinking they are providing some greater service when teh only ones reading them are like-minded hardcore gamers ...

What was that irony, again? :)

Let me give you an example, one that you can hopefully understand. :)

You can write the best article ever written about the Sim genre, but it's not likely to make me, or anyone else that has little interest in that genre, care any more about what the latest Sim game is.

Let me give you an example, one that you can hopefully understand. :)

You can write the best article ever written about the Sim genre, but it's not likely to make me, or anyone else that has little interest in that genre, care any more about what the latest Sim game is.

You got a point, but it's a bit flawed.

The thing is, the site in question is not about RPGs - which means all kinds of people go there to read whatever crap they spew. Lots of casual users know about RPGs - but they think of them as Oblivion or Fallout 3. If they notice something like "Don't miss these RPGs" - they might just go read about them - even if they're casual users and wouldn't normally care.

So, it's not useless at all in terms of doing that extra bit to make people notice, now is it.

So, it's not useless at all in terms of doing that extra bit to make people notice, now is it.

Except that no one ever said it was "useless". I simply said that I question how many mainstreamers are reading it, especially since it's not a hugely popular site to begin with.

Yeah, if it had been let's say Gemespot (not to be confused with Gamepot), then the audience would be far greater, imho.

Back
Top Bottom