Top games from the eighties

Yep. Some of us lived back then. Some of us even played games back then.

Here's Top 10 Eighties Computer Games Worth Playing (Again) – GeekDad Wayback Machine.

I've played only half of them, but I remember all of them fondly. I probably wouldn't enjoy all of them as much now as I did back then, though. Except for Nethack. And Ultima 4. And the Infocom games. Hmmmm

I played some of them. KQ3 in particular was one of my favorite games for a long time. It's missing a lot of great games though, Wing Commander, Space Quests, Quest for Glory, to name a few. That decade was governed by Infocom first and then by Sierra. Both huge companies that just couldn't adapt to survive (Infocom couldn't adapt to graphic monitors and Sierra couldn't adapt to 3d and out of adventure games)

Best game of the 80's would be Air Warrior, but it sure was pricey. Others I really enjoyed: Ultima 2, Dungeon Master, and the coin-op Star Wars. Oh, and Nethack, of course.

I played some of them. KQ3 in particular was one of my favorite games for a long time. It's missing a lot of great games though, Wing Commander, Space Quests, Quest for Glory, to name a few. That decade was governed by Infocom first and then by Sierra. Both huge companies that just couldn't adapt to survive (Infocom couldn't adapt to graphic monitors and Sierra couldn't adapt to 3d and out of adventure games)

Pretty sure Wing Commander (which was an old favourite:)) was a 90s game. Otherwise I'd pick it along with Railroad Tycoon (also from the 90s).

MPS labs aside, I was more into the actiony side back in those days, and gameplay has evolved a lot in those genres. I cant think of a whole lot of my old favourites that stood the test of time. Maybe the goldbox games (which have more in common with Icewind Dale than with serious RPGs). Pirates! and Elite were widely recognised as classics back then, but the gameplay will (mostly) not hold up today.

Hmm, where's Larry, Space Quest, Might and Magic, Super Mario and so on? None of my favourites were on that list!

Heh, just goes to show you - top ten lists of today are not any closer to my own top ten list than top ten lists were 30 years ago.

Oh my, the 80s ;)

So many memories.

Bard's Tale, Fairy Tale, Pool of Radiance, Exploding Fist, Atic Atac, Tir Na Nog, Underworld (from Ultimate), Kokotoni Wilf, Manic Miner, Jetpac, and the list goes on and on ;)

Hmm, where's Larry, Space Quest, Might and Magic, Super Mario and so on? None of my favourites were on that list!

Heh, just goes to show you - top ten lists of today are not any closer to my own top ten list than top ten lists were 30 years ago.

Yeah, the top ten lists 30 years ago were true top ten lists, today they are just "accessible".

Actually, I mean it's the other way around. That list is nowhere near my own top 10 list of 20-30 year old games. In fact, I've hardly ever seen a list that matches my own taste, regardless of when the list was written.

Might & Magic and Space Quest are probably my fav games and series from the 80s, neither of them are mentioned.

Those were my Amiga days. Except for Bards Tale, I actually didn't play many RPGs back then. Some of my favorites from that era (including early 90s) ( or rather games that I at least still remember): Elite, Populous, Star Glider 2, Loom, Zak McKrakken, Monkey Island, Raoadwar 2000. My very first games: Marble Madness and Defender of the Crown!

If you include the early 90s (i.e Monkey Island), I'm pretty sure the list would be quite different. :)

Yeah, the top ten lists 30 years ago were true top ten lists, today they are just "accessible".
It's quite a bit easier to create a top 10 list when only a dozen games come out a year for your platform. ;)

DArtagnan said:
Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach, along with Lords of Midnight/Doomdark's Revenge, ate up a huge chunk of my formative teenage years, but no regrets - they were great.

Seeing these guys for the first time was pretty scary :)

chimpy222-LordsOfMidnightThe.JPG

Lords of Midnight was part of the vanishingly rare genre of first-person turn-based strategy games. Are there any modern equivalents?

Tir Na Nog/Dun Darach, along with Lords of Midnight/Doomdark's Revenge, ate up a huge chunk of my formative teenage years, but no regrets - they were great.

Seeing these guys for the first time was pretty scary :)

chimpy222-LordsOfMidnightThe.JPG

Lords of Midnight was part of the vanishingly rare genre of first-person turn-based strategy games. Are there any modern equivalents?

They made a "modern" version in the 90s - and it was crap.

Then there was Birthright - which might be somewhat the same genre, but it was mostly considered a failure.

That's it, basically.

NO LARRY !!!!
Ancient art of War ( first real time strategy or what?)
BBall
Arcanoid
Digger (better than Mrs Pacman )
Red Storm Rising
Ghosts n Gobblins

Wasn't Kings Quest made by Nazis who escaped Nurberg trial ? i mean i remember some quests where the level of sadism made hellriser movies look like a joke.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom