Final Fantasy VII re-release for PC

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
I found this announcement somewhat surprising. Apparently Square-Enix is re-releasing Final Fantasy 7 for PC with updated features.

http://www.bluesnews.com/s/133502/final-fantasy-vii-remake-plans

Bluesnews is referring to it as a "remake", but I think it's obvious that it's simply an updated version of the original, and I'm not even sure exactly what's been updated other than compatibility.

I remember seeing a friend of mine playing one of FFs on Playstation ages ago… Athough it looked nice back then, I rejected to even try it when I saw mobs respawn there. Dunno which FF that was, but if there is some without mob respawns, please, suggest me to buy it - and I will.

Mobs in Final Fantasy VII are invisible and randomly encountered. All FF games were like that until FF XII on the PS2 which plays more like a Western MMORPG.

FF VII was the only PS1 FF title that I enjoyed to any degree. Although the story was a convoluted mess, it had a certain kind of charm that I liked back then. I might actually check out this re-release if it's cheap enough.

FF VII definetly has an amazing story one of the best in a game so far, and the music is almost unsurpassed, but as so many other games it's gameplay is lackluster at best.

Still I'd reccomend playing through it, the random battles are surviveable and the memories in form of story and music is worth it, now let's hope they are releasing it through GOG and that is the reason for the re-release.

I remember seeing a friend of mine playing one of FFs on Playstation ages ago… Athough it looked nice back then, I rejected to even try it when I saw mobs respawn there. Dunno which FF that was, but if there is some without mob respawns, please, suggest me to buy it - and I will.

mob respawn is very typical of jRPGs, almost all of them have that "feature" in one way or another. It's gotten better though. Originally there wasn't even a respawn, you just had constant random encounters. At least nowadays you can see the mobs on the screen and evade those combats except for story encounters. But another issue with jRPGs is that you're supposed to grind levels (i.e. a lot of times you won't be able to finish the game by just following the storyline since you'll be severely underleveled) so you'll need to fight those battles anyway.

Yea, well… Sorry but I'm not buying any of those games then. Visible or invisible… I simply can't stand practically the main "killmobrespawns or else you won't be able to finish the game" quest.

:O!!!

I remember watching the *updated visual* version of FF7 intro video a few years ago. If graphics and some minor details are updated for this re-release for PC, my hubby will buy this without second thought. And maybe I will finally get to play and see what were all those fusses were about :D

But another issue with jRPGs is that you're supposed to grind levels (i.e. a lot of times you won't be able to finish the game by just following the storyline since you'll be severely underleveled) so you'll need to fight those battles anyway.
I think at first it was actually an exploit. People would find spots in these games where you could fight and fight for SEVERAL hours on end to get up to high levels. The characters you would find later would all automatically adjust to your level but the enemies were at a fixed level so the rest of the game became trivial. (WHY you would bore yourself for hours just so that you could play the game in cakewalk-mode is beyond me.)

FF12 is the first one I remember that tried to solve this problem by assuming you would do it. I got clobbered in that game at before I realized I was supposed to go back and forth over the levels a couple of times before leaving.

(Last Remnant is the only JRPG I know that solves the problem by reversing the rules. In that game the boss fights level up with you but the new characters you meet and hire on do not. Grinding early in that game doesn't make the game a cakewalk, it gimps you to the point where it's downright unplayable!)

Anyway, FF7 is definitely earlier than the farm-to-win junk. You've got no worries there.

Oh, and it's old enough to be text based, meaning it's happy to let you rename the characters. For pity's sake, don't leave Aries with that name! It sounds like the Greek god of war, which is definitely not a good name for a pretty flower girl that's into healing magic. And feel free to rename Tifa to be Lara. It's pretty clear she's a member of the Croft family.

Yea, well… Sorry but I'm not buying any of those games then. Visible or invisible… I simply can't stand practically the main "killmobrespawns or else you won't be able to finish the game" quest.

It's funny how Final Fantasy games are both combat heavy and story heavy at the same time. And it works fine, with the exception of those damage sink bosses.

I'd like to see Final Fantasy Tactics HD for the PC. Yummy.

Any graphical enhancements in this release? Improved models would make it worth it, because let's be honest, the original version hasn't aged well.

It's odd how little information they actually give about it on the site. It says "Optimized for PC", and they mention that it's been updated to run on the latest hardware and OS. It's obvious they're using the original textures though, and imo they don't look to be enhanced in any way.

I suppose it's worth $10 for those looking for a nostalgic fix.

Ugh, apparently it has a new feature… the character booster "Allows you to maximize your HP, gold, and MP" leaving you to enjoy the adventure with a click of a button.

What is the world coming to…..

Ugh, apparently it has a new feature… the character booster "Allows you to maximize your HP, gold, and MP" leaving you to enjoy the adventure with a click of a button.

What is the world coming to…..

It's a feature no one forces you to use. I find it useful as I don't feel like wasting another 100+ hrs on the game again just grinding.

If you played the game before I suppose it is not much of a problem, but if it is the first time through you'll probably be really tempted to use this feature, and miss out on any excitement in combat etc.

Not that the combat is THAT good anyway, but still.

Another step in the wrong direction, to make movies instead of games.

Back
Top Bottom