What games are you playing now?

Yes, indeed - and I just realised the NWN games are in there too! O_O

Well at least I can write the fire rune now. Still too glowy though, so it must be an artifact of my software or hardware. Will give it a run now. Crossing my fingers I don't come across a game ending bug :)

UPDATE: Arx Libertatis seems to be working well enough. I like that it actually remembers my screen resolution settings unlike Arx Fatalis. :)

However it is not without issues. Sometimes items paced on tabletops can disappear. Already collecting too much stuff. I assume it's save to store stuff in randomly found chests?

Also experienced a few minor audio glitches - spell casting sounds looping repeatedly, and such.

Last edited:
Dust: an elysian trail. After DOS I was up for some laid back action and this one was the first I found in a discount. I'm liking it so far though I'm hoping gameplay mechanics will open up more after a while.

BTW what do people think of this surge of modern rogue likes (lites) ? Not many threads here about them, aren't they RPG enough ?

The following were an alternative buy: teleglitch, nuclear throne and risk of rain. I already watched too many spoiler videos of the binding of isaac to consider that one.

I've never been much into roguelikes, and I think it's far too easy to slap that label on to excuse poor balance or incomplete gameplay. It's definitely starting to feel overused, and I tend to not pay much attention to them.

I'm not much into roguelikes either, but I have enjoyed a few of them on occasion. Sword of the Stars: The Pit is excellent, and FTL is pretty good as well.

Well some of them sure do look like fun. Especially if they have a definite ending and some kind of story (told through text logs and audio books)

If you look at e.g. nethack it does check all boxes of a RPG for most people here I ink: progression, exploration, choice, turn based tactical? combat etc. Except story I guess.

Nethack does have a story, although you can easily play it without knowing any of it. True roguelikes like that are RPGs by any reasonable definition of the term, but they definitely tend towards the gameplay-first, dungeon-crawl end of the spectrum.

definitely tend towards the gameplay-first, dungeon-crawl end of the spectrum.

Which is fine by me. I enjoy RPGs that don't have super detailed stories and stuff, as long as the other aspects of the game are fun.

What I don't like are games like FTL, that don't allow you to save your progress, and you're expected to die a lot and start over. Those type of games, for me, don't feel like rewarding experiences that I can really sink my teeth into.

But dungeon-crawling, heavy on gameplay, light on story RPGs? If they have some interesting gameplay and an ability to save and continue your progress through a lengthy campaign, than I will most certainly enjoy them.

After 60 hours finished Valkyria Chronicles.

Main game.
Didn't touch challenges nor two sidestories (were DLC).
The game is worth every penny, I can't and will never understand why Sega waited to release it on PC so many years.

I ought to give it 8/10 (because of linear story, cliches, a bit unbalanced classes, menus cry for mouse support, etc) but looking back…
- impressive graphics style that simply cannot age and look bad
- there is even more content to enjoy here after the game is finished
- didn't unlock all secrets (seeing ??? recruits, didn't get achievenent for ace weapons, didn't solve all fights with A), can't leave it at that, right? :)
- unbelievably rich soundtrack unlocked upon game ending
- save practically anywhere and anytime (upon one move) and no endless respawns that can't be stopped (you stop them by destroying bridges or base takeover)
- japanese voiceovers are fantastic, subs are very nice (example "YASAI! BANZAI!" from Largo is spectacular unlike dumb "vegetables!" english dub)
- no bugs, people, no bugs!!! is this even possible today?!

A nearmasterpiece. I can't believe this is actually a console game. If you still didn't buy this gem, do it now.
9/10

I'm pleasantly surprised with this title. I thought the only make buttonmashing grinders with endless respawns and checkpoints on consoles. Expected something a bit different from that but still average. And got a spectacular game.

And stupid Sega kept it under the carpet for years instead of selling it while it was still fresh… Their loss.

I think you meant to post that in the "Just finished" thread. ;)

I'm only on Chapter 6, but I'm enjoying it enough. It could use some more mature dialogue though.

Oops... True. Well, it's here, maybe I repost with a bit more text when I nail all those bonus materials... For example skirmishes hard/expert do not look even close as their normal/easy counterparts, totally different missions!

Mature dialogue in anime... Right. Can't remember what's on chapter 6 exactly, but if not 6 then 7 is a tough battle against a superheavytank, you'll see. I've restarted it twice till I made a proper setup! Fun I tellya. :D

Which is fine by me. I enjoy RPGs that don't have super detailed stories and stuff, as long as the other aspects of the game are fun.

What I don't like are games like FTL, that don't allow you to save your progress, and you're expected to die a lot and start over. Those type of games, for me, don't feel like rewarding experiences that I can really sink my teeth into.

But dungeon-crawling, heavy on gameplay, light on story RPGs? If they have some interesting gameplay and an ability to save and continue your progress through a lengthy campaign, than I will most certainly enjoy them.

I quite like an old fashioned dungeon crawl, but it's hard to find one these days that's not a roguelike or a Diablo-clone.

I think FTL is a good example of a game that would have been much better without the roguelike trappings. It feels too random and luck-based to really work as that sort of game to me, but take away the permadeath and timer and it would be a fun little game.

Just finished the NWN mod Wyvern Crown of Cormyr and working through Crimson_Tides_of_Tethyr, and just starting the 3rd person shooter El Matador on the PC.

Getting into Godfather Mob Wars on the PSP, Monster House on the DS, and Unfabulous on the GBA.

I just cannot read this thread. As If my backlog was not enough.. I have to read about GREAT mods and stories of great games. Will ADD never end??:(
Still-- I LOVE reading this thread.

Probably very politically incorrect but I am playing and enjoying a lot DA:I. One or two CTD when playing for a while and save/loading a bit (memory leak on load??), but otherwise works as expected and I am amazed by the range of quests, approaches, alternative choices and I have hardly moved outside the first major area (hinterlands). Can already see several replays to explore branches I chose against

I quite like an old fashioned dungeon crawl, but it's hard to find one these days that's not a roguelike or a Diablo-clone.

I think FTL is a good example of a game that would have been much better without the roguelike trappings. It feels too random and luck-based to really work as that sort of game to me, but take away the permadeath and timer and it would be a fun little game.

Yep, I absolutely agree. With the roguelike aspects, FTL never really felt like a game that would reward me for my time played. I like to engross myself in RPGs, not have short little sessions where I die and then start all over or whatever. I like to save and continue my progress over a long period of time.

I'll say that some roguelikes are quite fun, though. Cursed Loot for the Xbox 360 is brilliant. Battlepaths is also a fun little game, but it's more in the Diablo vein with a bit of roguelike elements as well. I'd say they are both worth playing, though.

Back
Top Bottom