Dark souls coming to pc

What a joke… you have to "like" their Facebook page just to view the content? No thanks..

I also don't think we should automatically assume the announcement is for a PC version.

After hearing so much about this game, I would definitely be interested, provided they do a halfway decent port.

That's why I used the words "might have paid off" Also meant to put a question mark in the title but forgot and can't edit the title.

I wouldn't be surprised if it does come to pc though.

My main concern is whether they would adapt the controls to mouse and keyboard properly or do a half ass job and tell us we can just play it with a controller.

I searched the web according to Gamebanshee's news and came across a photo in one of the forums:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~elpresidente/died.png

Since "You Died" is the term specific to the Souls games and the gaming magazine is a PC only, it seems our petitions finally come to fruition.

If that's the case I can't wait to play Dark Souls on my PC. With the extra horse power under the hood, we can see better framerates in the PC. Since there're similarities in tools for both Xbox 360 and PC, I don't think porting the game takes too much time.

But it's kind of sad in my part. I have to buy the game once more. Last month I couldn't resist anymore and bought the X360 version of Dark Souls. But can't play much. I have both PS3/X360 in my home (because of my wife - she's a console gamer), but I can't play in them, because I can't feel the atmosphere on the couch and in front of a TV. I'm a PC gamer and immersion only comes to me when I'm looking at a monitor and sitting on my office chair.Damn, I'm a die-hard nerd :)

Anyway, still speculation nothing certain yet.

Gokyabgu said:
I have both PS3/X360 in my home (because of my wife - she's a console gamer), but I can't play in them, because I can't feel the atmosphere on the couch and in front of a TV. I'm a PC gamer and immersion only comes to me when I'm looking at a monitor and sitting on my office chair.

Drifting off topic, but I feel similarly. However I have my PC in the living room (I play on the sofa with the computer down the side and a monitor diagonally in front) and so I can use a long HDMI cable to hook the Xbox/PS3 up to the monitor if I want to play a console game. It also allows playing games whilst watching TV (multitasking FTW).

On topic - I've got Demon's Souls & Dark Souls still to play, but will rebuy Dark Souls on PC if I play and enjoy Demon's Souls. I will definitely play the PC version if the option is there.

I would love to see the game come to PC and would support with a purchase. Then I'd finally get to see what all the commotion is about!

All of the commotion I've heard regarding Demons'/Dark Souls focuses on how "difficult" the game is (it doesn't hold your hand, harsh punishments for dying, combat based on trial and error). Anyone know how the actual story is (is there even a story, or is it just cardboard framework for the game mechanics), and are the two games related aside from being set in the same world?

I can't comment on the story, but I know Dark Souls is more of a spiritual successor than a sequel, and afaik they're not set in the same world.

I love a good rpg and some good combat mechanics, but I HATE repeatedly dying at the same part in games. I will likely buy this game, but if I get frustrated, I could see it being a game I give up on. Maybe a walkthrough would be helpful for this one. I guess cheating is another option as well.

All of the commotion I've heard regarding Demons'/Dark Souls focuses on how "difficult" the game is (it doesn't hold your hand, harsh punishments for dying, combat based on trial and error). Anyone know how the actual story is (is there even a story, or is it just cardboard framework for the game mechanics), and are the two games related aside from being set in the same world?

There is a story, and actually I consider it sufficiently deeper for an ARPG; also, there are some decisions to make that have impacts on the two possibile different ending (which aren't so predictable imho).
Anyway, the game doesn't overexpose the story with endless cinematics, or dialogues lines spoken by tedious characters: in fact, they are very few you can talk with, and you have to figure out by yourself what's happened: there is no map, journal, or quest markers that can help.
And in conclusion, Lordran is a different world from Boletaria, setting of the first game.

The story / lore is rather cheesy "The land of the ancient lords - Lordran." etc. But i kind of like the atmosphere, reminds me of Diablo 1. Not so sure this is a game i will ever finish, perfecting every fight (all enemies respawns after you die, and you die often and can't just save anywhere) will burn me out at some point.. I can easily see how and why this is supposed to be a 80h game.

Would you mind to enligthen us why you found it so terrible, please?

I'm guessing he just couldn't handle seeing a "game over" screen that often. ;)

It wasn't the difficulty at all, it was the repetitiveness. To save your game you have to find the spawn points, which are these bon fires. You rest at a bon fire and save your game. When you die you are respawned at the last bon fire you used, and all the monsters in the level respawn as well. So you have to keep killing the same things (not including bosses and mini bosses) over and over, doing the same things over and over. For me, it was just tedium. Just mind-numbing, soul sapping tedium.

And to call it an RPG was really stretching the definition of role playing game. The only aspect this game can claim to the RPG genre is you get XP when you kill stuff and you use that XP to increase your stats. Game elements that one would normally associate with a role playing game are either paper thin or totally non existant, like quests for instace. There are none. You don't even have a journal. Nor are there any skills or powers or feats or anything like that.

So the gameplay is like this; fight your way through the levels until your path is bocked by a boss. Grind lesser enemies until you're sufficiently powerful to kill boss, then proceed to the next bon fire to save your progress. Repeat.

It wasn't the difficulty at all, it was the repetitiveness. To save your game you have to find the spawn points, which are these bon fires. You rest at a bon fire and save your game. When you die you are respawned at the last bon fire you used, and all the monsters in the level respawn as well. So you have to keep killing the same things (not including bosses and mini bosses) over and over, doing the same things over and over. For me, it was just tedium. Just mind-numbing, soul sapping tedium.

And to call it an RPG was really stretching the definition of role playing game. The only aspect this game can claim to the RPG genre is you get XP when you kill stuff and you use that XP to increase your stats. Game elements that one would normally associate with a role playing game are either paper thin or totally non existant, like quests for instace. There are none. You don't even have a journal. Nor are there any skills or powers or feats or anything like that.

So the gameplay is like this; fight your way through the levels until your path is bocked by a boss. Grind lesser enemies until you're sufficiently powerful to kill boss, then proceed to the next bon fire to save your progress. Repeat.

1 - Grinding is totally optional: you can do the game fairly easily by just picking up loot from enemies or corpses along the way. If you have really hard times at beating a boss, then it's better grind some souls to level up; it's just a matter of getting used to.
Also, Diablo, Wizardry, Divine Divinity, every hack'n'slash out there, The Witcher 1 in some spots all have enemies respawn: if you find it more repetitive just 'cause it's a Japanese game, suit yourself, but it's not terrible at all.
Oh, and in Diablo don't you respawn at the nearest city when you die? Why in Diablo is a good mechanic and in Dark Souls not?

2 - It's just not a matter of gaining xp and level up: stats' increases are permanent, so you have to be careful on the ROLE that you want to play with your character. If you screw it, you better have to start from the scratch again.
Plus, if you kill a NPC, it stays dead until a new playthrough (meaning consequence of your action), including merchants, or smiths.
Also, you aren't mentioning Covenants: there are nine in the game, each for their "alignment", and if you join one of them, you can stick with it or betray the entire faction, and it stays hostile to you until you "wash" your sin by talking with a particular character.
And there's the final decision that you have to make at the end of the game: I won't spoil it, of course, I'll let you find out what it is.

To be short, Dark Souls is an excellent game, with some interesting RPG mechanics that are neither optional nor meaningess for the story and the gameplay.
You can find it repetitive, but it's not a terrible game at all.

Demon Souls

I liked Demon Souls, purchased Dark Souls ps3, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet.
One of the things I like about Demon Souls, is it isn't about mindless hack and slash like Skyrim (not saying I haven't enjoyed Skyrim), or even click, kill, click, its more about fighting technique, making use of every point of stamina / magic because running out generally means death. Die, try again only with more attention to technique. It isn't a game one plays half asleep. Progressing into the game only makes fighting more interesting.

The online component makes things interesting, especially being invaded. From what I gathered from posts from other users, Dark Souls has glaring problems with invasion, since few restrictions were placed on the level an invader could be vs. the "victim". While in Demon Souls, invasions are more fair. Have to say I've only won one out of five however. Might be due to twinking or muling more than my technique. My character only has equipment = level.
The nice thing is, if one doesn't care to be invaded then its possible to suicide in the Nexus (dying in worlds causes soul tendency to shift, so its safe to die in The Nexus), and play in soul form.
If it sounds complicated, it is, but I've never played a game that made me so nervous to play, wondering if, this time, I could make it through and live, and also, wondering when the next surprise was…around the next corner, "Good Gods, look at all those lava lizards.."

The players are great, we see each other as ghosts, leave notes for each other, and in a way, adventure together, though silently. There is a type of co-op but matching up with a friend is difficult at best, however I have had co-op sessions that were a blast, even with somebody I didn't know, and could not communicate with.
Some like Demon Souls more than Dark Souls, eventually I'll get around to playing Dark Souls and come up with a comparison.
Horrible, messy review, and on Demon Souls more than Dark Souls, but I thought I'd post what I like about these games, they appear to be third person hackers, but they are really much more than that. We need more of these..Legend of Grimrock will probably bring me back to the olde keyboard.
I'm also playing Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls (PSN only), not a great game, but not totally horrible either. That is a messy review for another time. ;)

It wasn't my cup of tea, but I agree it had a lot going for it. In the end I couldn't handle the repetition.

I think it might be a little easier on the PC. One of the prime problems I had was with equipping things like bombs, etc on the fly. You have to equip the item in a menu screen (and there's no pause, so you can get killed while in a menu) then select the item with the D-pad, then press the face button to use the item. Of course you ready stuff before a battle, but trying to switch to a different item while in combat is very difficult.

If you can quick-key items on PC, things would be a bit easier.

Back
Top Bottom