Dragon Age - Might Not Catch with Console Gamers

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Patrick Klepak on the MTV Multiplayer blog writes that he couldn't quite come to grips with Dragon Age in a recent demo. He acknowledges he has never played Baldur's Gate and doubts DA will resonate with console players:
In the 10 minutes I spent trying out “Dragon Age” a few weeks ago at Electronic Arts‘ Redwood Shores offices, I died quickly. That’s mostly because BioWare dropped me into combat without walking me through a proper tutorial, but it only takes a moment to realize “Dragon Age” combat is different than anything BioWare has attempted for a console game before.
More information.

And this is why I got so upset about the delay. EA made them release it also for consoles. Console gamers are just a different market for this type of games. The outcome of this, in my deepest fears, is that EA 'suggests' changing the original game to make it more 'console-friendly'. Less strategy and more action. Less boring NPC interactions and more BOOMs.
Will they keep the PC version different and separate than the console version, or keep them more or less synchronized in changes? The first result of this we know already, delaying the PC version more than 8 months so it releases simultaneously with the console versions. Who knows what will come next? a lot can happen in 8 months.

And this is why I got so upset about the delay. EA made them release it also for consoles. Console gamers are just a different market for this type of games. The outcome of this, in my deepest fears, is that EA 'suggests' changing the original game to make it more 'console-friendly'. Less strategy and more action. Less boring NPC interactions and more BOOMs.
Will they keep the PC version different and separate than the console version, or keep them more or less synchronized in changes? The first result of this we know already, delaying the PC version more than 8 months so it releases simultaneously with the console versions. Who knows what will come next? a lot can happen in 8 months.

Indeed.

They talk about optimizing and stuff, but I fear its just dumbing it down to console market. Its a shame really because consoles don't have too many complex games and there are quite many console gamers who actually enjoy complex games.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

I am both PC and console player and right now i play Fallout 3 on my Xbox 360, partly because my PC not powerful enough to run the game, and partly it is much more playable on Xbox 360 controller. I don't agree with this opinion. Mass Effect, Oblivion, Fable 2, Fallout 3 sold well on consoles. These games prove that console gamers can enjoy deep western RPGs, not only Japanize so called RPGs. Ofcourse there is a console crowd out there who does not know or want to know about RPGs, and just happy with their shooters. But, there are also console players out there for ex who made acquaintance Fallout universe with F3, and craving for more. Now what is wrong about that.
Unfortunately, PC gaming is crawling with piracy, and that is why they prefer such a strategy. The Witcher sold nearly 1 million, and i believe if there is not any piracy, this game easily can sold 3-5 million, just like BG. Consoles have the strength of that.

I think the people who posted above consider Mass Effect, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 to be console style RPGs.

Well I'm happy to hear this console monkey didn't like the 'tactical' battle. That gets my hopes up.

With comments like this is it any wonder console games have a rep for "Dumbing Down".

Exactly. And here I thought it was just a false stereotype; this guy is sure trying to justify the idea that console gamers are the retarded step-sibling drooling in the corner while mixing play-dough with his own feces and eating the result. From the article:

Like “Final Fantasy,” it didn’t hook me. It feels MMO-like, and immediately made yearn for “Mass Effect 2″ in my head. That said, if you are looking for a new “Baldur’s Gate”-style game from BioWare, “Dragon Age” looks absolutely poised to deliver.

Uhhh, does this dimwit realize that BG-style games (isometric, somewhat tactical and multi-person party) have absolutely nothing in common with MMOs? But then again, it's an MTV person, so I guess he can't help being an idiot--probably a job requirement and all.

I haven’t played “Baldur’s Gate,” but I have played BioWare’s spiritual successor, “Dragon Age: Origins,” and after a 10-minute session (albeit one without a proper tutorial), it planted the idea this style of RPG might not resonate with players who’ve come to expect differently from BioWare.

This gave me a nice warm fuzzy feeling all over:)

I would never listen to anyone who said they need a proper tutorial. Dude, put down the bong and read the freaking manual.

I haven’t played “Baldur’s Gate,” but I have played BioWare’s spiritual successor, “Dragon Age: Origins,” and after a 10-minute session (albeit one without a proper tutorial), it planted the idea this style of RPG might not resonate with players who’ve come to expect differently from BioWare.

This gave me a nice warm fuzzy feeling all over:)

I would never listen to anyone who said they need a proper tutorial. Dude, put down the bong and read the freaking manual.

I know what you mean, but in all fairness to mr. Klepak, I don't think the demo version he tried came with a manual ;)

Its a shame really because consoles don't have too many complex games and there are quite many console gamers who actually enjoy complex games.

Exactly. I'm thinking that I would like to play this on my Xbox 360 not only because I'll have to upgrade my PC to play it there, but I like the format where I can do away with mouse and keyboard and relax with a gamepad. However, I'd like a complete cRPG experience on the console.

And to the people who claim that such a game could never control well with a gamepad, I say: I don't believe you.

Good news indeed... The PC/Console flame war has started anew on the official DA-forums. With this latest fuel to feed the flames it's gonna be a huge bonfire I bet. Anyone know if the reporter played the PC-version of the game? Or have the console versions progressed so far that they are playable?

Exactly. And here I thought it was just a false stereotype; this guy is sure trying to justify the idea that console gamers are the retarded step-sibling drooling in the corner while mixing play-dough with his own feces and eating the result. From the article:

Uhhh, does this dimwit realize that BG-style games (isometric, somewhat tactical and multi-person party) have absolutely nothing in common with MMOs? But then again, it's an MTV person, so I guess he can't help being an idiot--probably a job requirement and all.

I think you missed a few 'morons' and 'retards' in there.

Oh look the PC "superiority complex" crowd jumping all over this poor guy. As i understand it Final Fantasy (just to name one) is quite hardcore yet sold millions and on the other end i bet there will be PC players who will not like the more slower, methodic, strategic combat of DA. Stop acting pathetic.

Oh look the PC "superiority complex" crowd jumping all over this poor guy. As i understand it Final Fantasy (just to name one) is quite hardcore yet sold millions and on the other end i bet there will be PC players who will not like the more slower, methodic, strategic combat of DA. Stop acting pathetic.

Yes. In fact, I'm sure that in Japan, most people find their Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests to be superior to western RPGs.

Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate! Not any console game, including the "hardcore" FF(I guess my definition of a hardcore RPG is very different from yours)

What is so superior about liking a different kind of game than the masses like? You go have your fun and I'll play what I like. If that is superior then sign me up for the snob society.;p

BG wouldn't translate well onto a console. Could you imagine trying to play that game with a gamepad? Same, I guess, goes for DA. But hey, I say let them try to get the console gamer a taste of a real RPG.

I'm sorry but any FF or JRPG isn't my definition of a fun RPG. Give me slow, methodic, strategic combat any day. The slower the better. Hell, let's make it so slow that it's turn-based. I think that is why we are considered a niche genre, not everyone and their mother likes our games.

I think it's pointless to demonise a guy on a mainstream site who - surprise! - has no background with PC CRPGs and prefers a streamlined, action focus. Good for him.

Good for us that it appears Dragon Age isn't to his taste.

Back
Top Bottom