StarCraft 2 Legacy of The Void - Whispers of Oblivion

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The original StarCraft had a fantastic single-player campaign.

I haven't touched SC2 since Blizzard released that 10-hour long tutorial called Wings of Liberty. :)

Yeah, the original campaigns were amazing. I found Wings of Liberty pretty cool overall, except for the ending. I started but haven't finished Heart of the Swarm. And I think I plan to replay them all in time for Legacy of the Void.

And I'm really curious where they plan to take the series next. Too bad it'll probably be another 3-5 years before we hear anything about the next installment. God-damn Blizzard and their slow behemoth-like release cycles.

I'm curious if they'll announce the LotV release date before Blizzcon 2015, in November. The only moment they could do that is Gamescom, and that's probably reserved for the next Diablo 3 expansion, as is currently being speculated.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm also curious what Blizzard plans to do next overall. WoW is slowly dieing off, the Titan MMO was cancelled, their latest attempt at something interesting fell flat, for me at least, with Overwatch. And their Diablo and Starcraft series haven't been in the spotlight for a long time. Heathstone I hear is doing very well. But they must have a plan for some behemoth project. Or maybe they just consider those way too risky, seeing as how much money they lost with Titan. They'll probably just work on Warcraft 4 I guess.

The original StarCraft had a fantastic single-player campaign.

I haven't touched SC2 since Blizzard released that 10-hour long tutorial called Wings of Liberty. :)

My thoughts precisely. I even bought the zerg expansion but haven't found the gumption to play it. So, the outlook on purchasing the final protoss expansion is bleak indeed.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I'm also curious what Blizzard plans to do next overall. WoW is slowly dieing off, the Titan MMO was cancelled, their latest attempt at something interesting fell flat, for me at least, with Overwatch. And their Diablo and Starcraft series haven't been in the spotlight for a long time. Heathstone I hear is doing very well. But they must have a plan for some behemoth project. Or maybe they just consider those way too risky, seeing as how much money they lost with Titan. They'll probably just work on Warcraft 4 I guess.

Doubtful. That's missing Heroes of the Storm by the way.

Blizzard are emblematic of the PC scene. They are changing as the PC scene is changing.
The PC scene is less and less about gaming and more and more about money.
It is no longer about sitting behind a desk to enjoy gaming time but to think of ways of making money, be it through modding, streaming or playing professionnally.

Blizzard seem unsure they can replicate the WoW model and has since moved to copy the Riot games' model, which is the best to support the change in the PC scene.

Heartstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch are based on that model.

Certain franchises like Diablo seem at risk as Blizzard have failed to convert those products to meet the new demand by the PC scene. They tried to introduce ways to make money, it did not work.

The Starcraft franchise is at risk as no white player has so far managed to reach world class level, which has prevented the competitive scene to expand in Europe and North America. Hard to see Blizzard going the Warcraft way as Starcraft is struggling and its success is limited to the Korean scene.

Blizzard's products are going to make to support the PC scene demand, which means the possibility of making money off playing video products. It also means that the vast majority of players are expected to fund the competitive scene, this is better achieved the riot game's way: providing for free the game while selling cosmetic features.

The continuation of franchise like Diablo or even Starcraft will depend on Blizzard's capacity to convert them to that model.

At the moment, though, Blizzard is deeply committed in promoting their latest release HOTS and keep funding events so that people might earn money off them.
Sooner or later, their HOTS customers will have to fill that part or HOTS fails.

maybe even pushing me to replay them all in time for the finale.

Have been doing that. Reaching the end of the zerg campaign brood war.
Rather interesting to compare SC and SC2.

Back
Top Bottom